Overactive thyroid, graves - Part 1

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello All,

I was diagnosed with over active thyroid 5 months ago. It was found because my pulse was 120 and irregular. Shortly after they found out i had graves disease. i dont have many of the graves symptoms but it does give me an over active thyroid. I am a 36 year old male, it seems to be mainly women who get this, only 1 in 7 are male im told.

I had a TH3 - 30 and TH4 - 75 after a few weeks of 40mg carbinazole, im also on whaferin 7mg (so far!)and propanazole 80mg.

my muscles have ached for years, i used to be such a atheletic person playing pro sport in my early 20's, now i ache and get muscle cramps quite often. i am relieved that i have finaly been diagnosed with something as i thought i was going mad, but now i want it to end

anyone been through a similar experience? i would love to hear from you

dave

0 likes, 369 replies

369 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Elaine,

That's the annoying thing - once your TSH is 'normal' they don't test the T3 and T4 which is ridiculous because we all know that you can have a normal TSH and an abnormal T3 and T4. I sometimes think we, the patients, know more than the endos!!

I am going to ask at my next blood test for all three tests to be done. I have the form for the blood test in my bag; I might just add it on myself!!

Will text you on Wed after op. Thanks for good wishes. Hope you are feeling a bit better - has the thyroxine kicked in yet?

Kay

• Posted

Hi All,

My TSH is 30 and my T4 is 6.0. Anyone know what it should be? I though T4 was suppose to be around 20 and TSH <0.1 ish?

I was planning to go back to work but they have only put me up from 50mg to 75mg of thyroxine. Surely I will need 100mg, he said as much. They will test me in another 6 weeks, if they are going to put me up it will be 7 weeks before i change dose and normally takes a further week at least for your body to respond!

Work agreed I should start on half days and build it up, Im considering asking for half days up until my next blood test.

• Posted

Hi Everyone, Kaye i would def write it on myself so you know they cant go by that alone my colleague has undeactive thyroid & her tsh is all over the place cos her pituitary gland isnt working properly. And Dave yours is way too high it should be around 0.1 with t4 around 20 but, that depends on the individual. Thought you would be on higher dose of thyroxine by now? Its good your going back to work slowly.Im still aching but, have to wait another 2 weeks for a blood test so, will see where i am then.Good luck for weds Kaye. Elaine. x
  • Posted

Evening All. Dave I think your TSH should be around 1.0 not 0.1 (perhaps that was just a typo?). Anyway for what it's worth, I agree with Kay & Elaine that looking only at TSH is a waste of time. I prefer to go by T4 and how I am feeling of course. Am I correct in thinking that they only give you small increases in thyroxine so that your body gets used to it more easilly? Makes it a long haul to reach you ideal dose it would seem. Anyway hope you and Elaine start to really improve soon and get the increases you need. Kay - what a nightmare - hope things went ok today. Dont even think about a relapse and yes please write the request for T3 & T4 to be tested on the form .I certainly would.

I am getting used to being back on Carbimazole again - only on 5mg per day and hope that keeps me within 'normal' range. I do feel fortunate in that I am still feeling well.

Look after yourselves everybody.

Lotte.

• Posted

Hi All, Yes Lotte that is what i meant think it must be old age lol. I think your right about thyroxine though i would prefer a higher dose to start with then decrease as neccessary but, who am i to question docs logic lol. I just think that by giving you small doses makes it a long haul i dont go back for blood test for another 2 weeks & like Dave said it takes a while to get in your system so hey Dave this time next year we might be around our levels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel better in some ways, same in others & worse with some symptoms but, i guess its a waiting game now. I hope the 5mg carbimazole work for you Lotte have they not offered you another option? re more rai or are you & them happy for you to stay on carbimazole? Well take care all . Elaine. ps Dave how are you doing?
  • Posted

im so fed up with my weight, im 18stone 8lbs, the heaviest iv ever been. i am 6 foot 2 and hold it fairly well but non of my clothes fit me!!!!!!

gets me down, i want to walk alot as i enjoy that but im just not strong enough so i cant even try to walk it off!

anyway, had my moan see you soon.

im off for a cake

then maybe a biscuit

• Posted

Hi Dave, Hopefully when you are on correct dose of thyroxine your weight will level out . I was told by endo that its not the thyroxine that causes weight gain but, your thyroid not under control ie being under but, we shall see. I am back to my post hyper weight & really dont want to gain but, the more i think of food the more i want to eat lol. You moan away i know how you feel no energy at all. People dont understand a few have said to me \" oh you`ve had treatment you must be better \" wish i was but we will get there eventually. Roll on 8 weeks im off to lanzarote & the sun!!Take care Elaine.
  • Posted

hi elaine,

thanks for that, sure ill be fine eventually. im going back to work next week on half days. i expect them to say afetr a week of half days \"your better now\" so annoying, i have my next blood tests in 6 weeks but appointment in 12 just before i go spain (yippeee). i doubt i will be back to relative normality before august/sep?????? im ok with that but others test my patience coz i do look better if not fatter!!!

im going on a low carb diet, well for today anyway. got my bike out and took it the doctors, only just got it in the car!!! see if that sheds any pounds, take care

are cakes low carb? best have a few just to make sure

• Posted

Hi All, On the subject of weight gain and carbs, this overactive thyroid has caused me to become addicted to Marks and Spencer fresh custard tarts. Wot the hell, there has to be some compensation !. I have read quite a bit about propanolol causing weight gain, so hopefull now I'm off this, I can eat guilt free. Hope you all pick up really soon. Regards (am off to M & S now.) Bess
  • Posted

Hi All, Dave you have to ride the bike to docs for excersise not just put it in the car ha ha & no cakes are not good for you in fact anything you like isnt lol ( lifes a shit ) I am really trying to control what i eat as being a woman ( & a vain 1 ) i dont want to get fat.I cant be laid on sun lounger looking like a beached whale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still i suppose if thats the price we have to pay for being well then so be it. Bess i havent heard of propanalol causing weight gain but, as you know carbimazole can.Well eat healthy, excersise & wheres the f.....g gun!!!!!!!!!!!! Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi all,

Well, had my gynae op yesterday to determine if thyroid was causing the menopause symptoms or if I have actually gone through the menopause and it's something more sinister (everyone avoids the C word) but the consultant assured me my results would be back next week and I've got an appointment on the 28th.

Im ok today, just a bit weak, so have sat with my feet up most of the day. I gave the anaesthetist a fright as my heart rate soared (almost 200) but [b:d9fc90e67d]I [/b:d9fc90e67d]assured [b:d9fc90e67d]him[/b:d9fc90e67d] (!) it was because I was frightened! He said oh it might be something else like your thyroid! How I stayed on that bed I don't know - I felt like running out of the hospital. Anyhow, he told me to hold my breath (??) and then he said oh that's better (I wasn't sure if I was supposed to turn blue as he never told me to release the breath!). He was Hungarian (not that that should matter) but I felt his command of the English language ............

Anyhow, I was on 5mg Carbimazole up until a week ago . Let's see if my body misses it! I have another blood test next week and yes, you are all right, I AM going to write T3 and T4 on the form! They can't shoot me!! I think these results are better than the TSH result. And we should know!!

I, too, am fighting a losing battle with weight. Initially I lost 2 stone and then with the increase of Carbimazole, put the weight back on plus some. I have started to exercise again, but it's hard work, especially when you've lost your muscle strength due to being overactive. I had a really awful reaction to being overactive, and now I am 'normal' I'm having another awful reaction - by this I mean having to have an op. Life isn't fair sometimes, and because we \"look normal\" people seem to think we \"feel normal\". See Dave, even I can rant!

As for cakes, they do not contain carbs, fat, sugar and especially no calories! And M & S cakes are especially good for you! When you think what we're been/going through, I think having a cake is the least of our problems!

Here endeth the lesson!!!!!!

Love and good health to you all (until my next chapter!)

Kay x

• Posted

Sorry about the long message!!!

Kay x

• Posted

Hi Kaye, Im sure you will be fine im keeping my fingers crossed for you.A colleague at work has had a lot of trouble \"down there \" & also had to have the same investigation as you & hers in not anything sinister.Funny how people cannot say the \"c\" word. think positive. Your gp wont even realise that you have added t3& t4 to your form as he only gets results not the form anyway its your right to know. Hope you recover quickly have you heard from lizzy? Take care Elaine. x ps how is everyone else?
  • Posted

hello elaine/bess/kaye,

i pride myself in looking good but now im to big and getting older the amount of second glances i get have reduced to errr, none!

Im glad to hear cakes have absolutely no carbs in what so ever, along with chocolate, custard, easter eggs, indian and chinese take aways and...and...and....

i have started the atkins diet, i have managed 2 days and sure ive already put more weight on. Im already sick of meat and eggs!

iv added t4 to my blood form before now so just go for it. i was on 40mg carbinazole and 80mg propnalol for some time, id didnt notice much weight gain until i went hypo so i think thats the thing thats affected me. im now on 75mg levothyroxine and the endo said my weight gain should settle down when the meds r right

i am feeling better, i still have all the same symptoms but seem to get them for half the day instead of 80percent (roughly speaking), but everyday is different and thats the bit people just dont get

when people say 'how u feelin' i feel like replying 'like sh1t thanks'

mybe this is differnt for ladies but when overactive i had a high sex drive but the wife was scared id cop it because of my racing heart, now m heart has settled and im hypo my drive has dropped. i only desire it several times a day (I wish!)

right im of to the fridge to find some low carb high fat atkins freindly chocolate. i wanted some m and s cakes but will have to settle for neto ones

take it easy, stay chiper, then come on here and rant away

dave

• Posted

Hi all,

Your message did make me laugh Dave! On my 'after care' form that I was given after my op, it said no sex for 2 weeks - I queried this as I thought they should have said 20 weeks! At least! I'm afraid at the moment I'd rather have a hot dinner! Maybe it's my age, medication, menopause or sheer laziness, but I can't be arsed!!!! Now, if George Clooney was to call ...................... nah, hot dinner would win every time!

I can't believe I've just said all that out loud!!

Thanks for your words of reassurance Elaine. We really have had a crap year haven't we? I have texted Lizzy but no reply. I hope she's ok. Seems to have a lot going on, family and health wise.

I feel much better today, had a weepy day yesterday, but that was probably the anaesthetic. Hubby still doing all housework though - I could get used to this!

Take care everyone - the sun is shining and we are still alive (apparently!!)

Kay x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.