Overactive thyroid, graves - Part 1

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello All,

I was diagnosed with over active thyroid 5 months ago. It was found because my pulse was 120 and irregular. Shortly after they found out i had graves disease. i dont have many of the graves symptoms but it does give me an over active thyroid. I am a 36 year old male, it seems to be mainly women who get this, only 1 in 7 are male im told.

I had a TH3 - 30 and TH4 - 75 after a few weeks of 40mg carbinazole, im also on whaferin 7mg (so far!)and propanazole 80mg.

my muscles have ached for years, i used to be such a atheletic person playing pro sport in my early 20's, now i ache and get muscle cramps quite often. i am relieved that i have finaly been diagnosed with something as i thought i was going mad, but now i want it to end

anyone been through a similar experience? i would love to hear from you

dave

0 likes, 369 replies

369 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

now iv got a cold, it never rains eh?
  • Posted

So have i 2nd one in 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! & im going away next week so, i hope its gone by then. Oh well what to do? Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi Everyone. Just been reading and catching up on how everyone is doing. Haven't been keeping my finger on that thyroid pulse! Dave - good news that you're well enough to be back at work and Elaine - lucky you having a lovely holiday lined up and I was pleased to read that you are feeling good. It's great that the RAI has worked for you two. Yeh I have Graves and was thyrotoxic too - my organs were pretty goosed. The docs at hospital said I had had a 'thyroid storm' - cosmic! Can laugh about it now but it was pretty scary to be told my liver, pancreas and heart were on a suicide mission. I am beginning to get arthritic joints in my fingers , some of them are pretty swollen and sore. GP tells me that once my thyroid is sorted out this arthritis will disappear - yeh right. I do believe the arthritis is another auto-immune disease - you know the rules - you have one AI disease (Graves) and you are more likely than most to get another.

But, I am still feeling good on my 5 mg of carbimazole and have been spending all of my time with my horse and ponies getting ready for their first show of the season which is in mid May and I am looking forward to that.

Well I hope everyone enjoys the Bank Holiday weekend.

Take care.

Lotte.

• Posted

Nice to hear from you lotte. my daughter likes horse riding and did look after one for a while, its alot of work

My organs wernt doing so great, heart and liver but i think theyre alot better now. iv got really dry skin though, sore tired eyes and some other affects but what can you do?

Ive also got a beer belly, fat face, crows feet (actual feet that look like crows), lines at the edges of my eyes, bad hair, thinning hair, grey hair, gaps were hair used to be, hair in places i didnt have it before, sore skin, dry skin and patchy skin from immacing too much, 2 chins, as well as my actual chin, bad body odour made worse by cheap after shave and to cap it off ive chipped a tooth. Im on 75mcg of levoroxine, 13mg whaferin, muti vits, multi minerals and a diet. I eat chocolate but make sure nobodys looking so it doesnt count, none of this seems to help my wind problem which for some unknown reason lowers my wifes sex drive? women i just cannot work them out.

Im thinkin of getting her 8 cans of stella and a curry to show her i care, what do you think?

Its safe to say ive looked better, but on a positive note my wife is older than me and i can remind her of it when she starts, that always goes down well. I was fighting hard to get my 40inch waste trousers the other day when she gave me a funny look, i responded 'I've got an underactive thyroid, whats your excuse!', Owch, now i am nursing a bruised testicle along with my other ailments.

Bye for now, I'm off for some sweet stuff (not a euphnism), dave

• Posted

Ha HaHa If you lived nearer dave i would bring round the shotgun lol. Good job that wasnt an advert for lonely hearts i cant stop laughing not at you but, at your sense of humour love it!!! I actually had good news today saw gp & my bloods are normal range ( whatever that is) & i do feel ok. Like you i think my eyes are affected they are sore, dry & tire easily. Glad your feeling ok Lotte would love to own a horse maybe when i win the lottery lol.Well all have good bank holiday im off to lanzarote tues yippeeeeeeeeee thats if flights are ok. Be thinking of you all. Take care. Elaine. ps only the 1 testicle i would have given it to you in both ha ha.
  • Posted

have a good holiday, that can do anyone the world of good

the swelling is going down, hoping to walk properly soon,

ta ta 4 now

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've not been around for a couple of weeks but after my gynae op I then had an infection for a couple of weeks which wasn't pleasant! The op went well and have just got my results - all negative, in so far as it isn't cancer which is a huge relief. Apparently I haven't been through the menopause, it was that tricky old thyroid presenting the same symptoms, so unfortunately (for my husband) I've got that delight to look forward to!

I hope you are all well. I've got another blood test tomorrow. Even though I'm 'normal' (don't think my husband would agree!) I'm still having them. I have put the T3 and T4 on the form (as recommended by you lot!) and will submit it tomorrow!!

I'm just battling with myself as I type, as to whether or not to go to keep fit (or rather keep fat!) tonight! I really haven't got the energy but should go and start building up those muscles (another thing the thyroid stole from me!). I have been going since January and have spent £3.95 a week to be exactly the same weight today as then! I just can't seem to shift it. I lose a pound then put it on etc etc. So demoralising.

Anyhow, keep well. Will speak again soon. Hope you enjoy your holiday Elaine.

Kay x

• Posted

Hello Kaye, am SO pleased your results were negative, been thinking of you. This weight thing is a problem isnt it, the only thing that works for me is to cut the carbs to about 60 grams a day (about 5 slices of bread). This is difficult as I love, bread, potatoes, etc. and anything with custard on it ! I have put back on the weight i originally lost but am still hungry all the time. Have you got a dog ? Could you walk it's little legs off ? Good luck. Bess. x

Have a good time Elaine - are you going to do a Shirley Valentine ? Hope you ok Dave.

• Posted

Evening All. Kay - that's good gynae news. Fingers crossed for good T3 & T4 results! I know where you're coming from about the weight thing and like you Bess I just love bread and potatoes and custardy puddings! I keep saying to myself that after 2 years now of putting up with this thyroid crap I deserve to eat what I fancy but at the same time I know that the only way to lose weight is to eat less chocolate, crisps and cake. I've always had a sweet tooth.

Dave - you're sounding gorgeous at the moment :lol: I had the best laugh ever when I read your post. Funnily enough I am older than my husband too and at the moment I look more like his mother than his wife. Actually when I think about it, I probably look older than his mother does!!

It doesn't help that he is stick thin and I look like Two Ton Tessie. If he comes back from the shops one more time laden down with fruit and not so much as a sniff of Cadbury's Caramel chocolate I may have to shoot him. Or I could always employ your wife's tactics and that would hurt given that he has just been to hospital to have a camera shoved up his willy to investigate his waterworks problem. Ha- ha.

I hope the swelling has gone now Dave.

Take care everyone.

Lotte.

p.s. What's a 'sex drive'? It does ring a (very distant ) bell but not sure if I can remember much about it :wink:

• Posted

Hi All,

Hope you are all well.

Im not doing bad, feeling stronger all the time, compared with 2 months ago theres really no comparison. I still dont feel right yet though, i have blood tests in 2 weeks and will hopefully go up from 75mcg thyoroxine to 100mcg and therefore get better again.

My eyes are still sore and sometimes dont look great but then sometimes they are ok, hopefully they will be good more days than they are bad??

Work is going ok, big threat of redundancies which adds to stress, I work in a college and potential student numbers are down, thats adds stress but what the heck just got to get on with it.

Right gota go now, the ironing wont do itself and the wife is cracking the whip, and not in a saucy way!

keep in touch, dave

• Posted

Hi Dave, Its good to hear you are feeling stronger. Work sound a bit stressful, my daughter works in a college so I know what you mean

Hi Dave, good to hear you are feeling better. Hope the work situation settles down. My daughter works in a college so I know what you mean about stress ! Did you ever have joint pain with this thyroid business ? I thought I remembered reading about it somewhere. I have pain in the joints in my left foot causing me to lurch about like the hunchback of Notre Dame. (Slight exaggeration). As I have two dogs to exercise, I am pretty fed up about this. I am reduced to a slow amble rather than a brisk walk. Am seeing my G.P. on Monday and he will probably throw a prescription for anti inflammatories at me, which I shall chuck in the bin.

Good to hear you are ok, almost there ?!

Bess.

• Posted

Whoops - sorry. Problems with the computer !
  • Posted

hi bess,

when i was hyper i thought i had some type of ruhmitism(spelling?) i used to ache all the time very bad, it had gone on for years so thought it was just me, im glad i dont get that anymore.

not so much joints but achy mscles if you know what i mean. it used to hurt to stand up

• Posted

if we loose this page you can always email me on dee-kay@ live.co. uk

no gaps, all lower case

• Posted

Hi Dave, thanks for the feedback. Been to GP today as no blood test for 7 weeks. I asked if this was Graves and he stuttered and told me I had not been tested for antibodies. I was put on Carbimazole and Propanolol 10 weeks ago ! Needless to say, I am now down for a further blood test and will be referred to Endo if this is positive. Do we have to do everything ourselves ! Moan, moan, moan. He seemed a bit bemused by my joint pain, so I will just go on doing my own thing. (I am turning into Moaning Myrtle). Hope work is going ok. Thankyou so much for your support. Bess x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.