Overactive thyroid, graves - Part 1

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello All,

I was diagnosed with over active thyroid 5 months ago. It was found because my pulse was 120 and irregular. Shortly after they found out i had graves disease. i dont have many of the graves symptoms but it does give me an over active thyroid. I am a 36 year old male, it seems to be mainly women who get this, only 1 in 7 are male im told.

I had a TH3 - 30 and TH4 - 75 after a few weeks of 40mg carbinazole, im also on whaferin 7mg (so far!)and propanazole 80mg.

my muscles have ached for years, i used to be such a atheletic person playing pro sport in my early 20's, now i ache and get muscle cramps quite often. i am relieved that i have finaly been diagnosed with something as i thought i was going mad, but now i want it to end

anyone been through a similar experience? i would love to hear from you

dave

0 likes, 369 replies

369 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello,

Well update for you all... My T4 level is in the normal range, but my T3 is still high. TSH is high too, GP thinks that i'm still over active at this point. That the Carbimazole is working against the T4 but not the T3.

All i can do is carry on for the moment and see.

JUst one more point, i don't want to be rude but just checking something...

For the last year and a bit i have had no Libido at all. Then 2 weeks ago.. it came back... i was quite chuffed as you can imagine... However now its gone again...

Would this be the Carbimazole?

Chris x

• Posted

Hi, How long have you been on carbimazole? as it takes around 6 weeks to kic in. As for libido i dont think carbimazole has an effect but, am not 100% on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine,

Yes i have been on Carbimazole for six weeks now. Also just thought i would mention this. My blood tests have always shown a T4 level only slightly high, but my T3 level is the high one. GP has told me that most Hyper cases are due to an elevated T4 level and that a high T3 level (as in my case) is most unusual and that the Carbimazole may not help reduce this..

Anyone know if this is true?

Chris x

• Posted

Hi All, Thanks Linda, it helps to know that the body can take a while to get back to normal, even the blood tests are ok. That 's reassuring. When I went to collect my prescription, I noticed that for the first time my Carbimazole had been put on \"repeat\" - till June 2011. I am relieved to know that it's not just going to be stopped. Trouble is, I am putting on a bit of weight, I hope I don't keep on like this, I will have to cut out the 3 am biscuits ! Elaine, I hope your blood tests come back ok and that you aren't still breathless on the stairs. Hope Dave and everyone getting on ok. Have good holidays all. Bess.
  • Posted

Hi All, Had blood results t4 18 so within normal range but, feeling a bit shaky doc said because of rai it will take a while to adjust so just have to be patient. I dont think its carbimazole causing weight gain its your thyroid getting back to normal i have only put back on the weight i lost & i am now on thyroxine,but better to be little over-weight & well than skinny & ill. Well im off toLanzarote tomorrow bring on that sun!!!!!! Hope everyone is doing ok will catch up when i get back. Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi All,

still no results, i will try to phone the hospital i think.

i am still putting on weight, i hope i am still underactive, if not it means im a greedy get,!!!!!!

Ill ask the docotr which it is, see you later, im off for a mars bar

dave

• Posted

phoned the hospital, they said it will be another week before i hear! great. just finished my first full week at work, was shattered but still couldnt sleep, wots wrong with me??????????

i though the carbinazole raised my labido, now its back to what it was before, around minus 7 on the labido scale. I had 8 months on carbinazole and the wife aged 4 years!!! Its been months now and she has enjoyed the rest

take care

• Posted

i watched the match last nigh and drunk half a bottle of pims and lemo. i woke this morning feeling terrible, iv got a banging headache and im so tirered. My thyroid must really be playing up, the question is the wife doesnt really consdier my hypothyoidism is some cases, is she harsh?
  • Posted

Oh Dave - what a shame !!!!Hope you get your Mojo back soon ! Your poor wife must be wondering where she is with all this thyroid stuff. I think that if you haven't suffered from it it just not possible to know how it feels. Especially as we presumably look quite well most of the time. The insomnia is a problem but for the last few days I have taken 40 mgs of Propanolol last thing at night and it seems to have helped (except last night, but I think that was the football). Poor Robert Green. I wonder if the goals saved in this World Cup will mainly be ones that have been tipped over the bar or punched away. This new ball seems to be causing problems. I have read that stress causes the thyroid to get hyper so I think I will be off the scale before this World Cup ends. Good luck with the hangover, try a hair of the dog. Bess.
  • Posted

I'm not sleeping well either. I think I'll start watching the football, that will send me to sleep. :lol:
  • Posted

hang over has gone, its gone, you can all relax

not heard from the endo yet, how long does it take? im nearly ready for my next 6 week blood test and ive not heard back from this one yet!!!!!

• Posted

Dave, this is ridiculous ! You could ring your surgery and ask for the result to be faxed through to them from the path lab. Tell them you are going away and need the result (even if you're not). The only consolation is that if there was any major concern you would have heard by now, (or you would have kicked the bucket). Glad your head is better ! Bess.
  • Posted

still no letter!!! The nurse at my doctors said she could find out the results for me by request but that will not tell us if the medication is to be altered or not as that has to come from the endo!!i said not to bother then, 3 weeks it has been now, im due another blood test in 2 weeks which will make the results pointless
  • Posted

Hi All, Just got back from sunny lanzarote!! Dave i always get my results from doc maybe it would be worth you making an appt to see him as, he will have your results then if meds need adjusting he will call endo for you. Hope everyone else is ok? i got my results before hols & they were within normal range doc said i need to lose weight cheeky sod im not fat ive just put on what i lost & am now at my pre illness weight. As for the football what can i say? England are crap they cant even beat Algeria so what hope do we have? Well take care all. Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine. I hope you enjoyed your holiday. Cheeky doc saying you need to lose weight. I expect you're pleased to be back to your pre illness weight. I wish I could put some weight back on. I have to watch where I walk when I go out as I might disappear down a drain. :lol: I've got my appetite back, so that's good.

I'm worried about my eyes. One protrudes a little bit from last time I had thyroid problems so I'm hoping it doesn't get any worse. I'm waiting for an appointment to see someone about it, but goodness knows when I'll get it. Everything seems to take ages.

Take care.

Marigold

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.