Overactive thyroid, graves - Part 1

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello All,

I was diagnosed with over active thyroid 5 months ago. It was found because my pulse was 120 and irregular. Shortly after they found out i had graves disease. i dont have many of the graves symptoms but it does give me an over active thyroid. I am a 36 year old male, it seems to be mainly women who get this, only 1 in 7 are male im told.

I had a TH3 - 30 and TH4 - 75 after a few weeks of 40mg carbinazole, im also on whaferin 7mg (so far!)and propanazole 80mg.

my muscles have ached for years, i used to be such a atheletic person playing pro sport in my early 20's, now i ache and get muscle cramps quite often. i am relieved that i have finaly been diagnosed with something as i thought i was going mad, but now i want it to end

anyone been through a similar experience? i would love to hear from you

dave

0 likes, 369 replies

369 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

my eyes are pretty much sore most the time, they do seem swelled compared to photos from last year, do pee me off but what can you do? im living fairly healthy, trying to shed some weight as i am fat, no point complaining, nobody would listen...

hello.....

anyone there......

bloody hell, im off

• Posted

Hi Dave. My eyes feel sore and gritty. Do you use eye drops? I use artificial tears and they help a lot.

Marigold

• Posted

Hi, My eyes seem to alternate 1 day sore & dry next watery & sore. I think for us Dave it may be down to rai as having graves & that treatment can affect eyes. Bloody great soon there will be loads of monty feldmans lol !!!!! As for the weight think you have to wait until you are on the right dose of levothyroxine before you can think about losing weight. At the moment i am on 50 very small dose & dont have to have another blood test for 3 months.I guess we are all different so need different doses. I really dont want to gain anymore weight but, will just have to wait & see. Bloody horrible disease !!!!!! Elaine.
  • Posted

just got lab results! TSH 10.5(should be <1) TF4 12.5 (Should be 20), thay have upped me from 75mcg to 100mcg, getting there

just got some cheep eye drops, they do seem to help

• Posted

Hi, Glad to hear that your throxine has been upped Dave you dont seem to be having a good time of it. I am still on just 50 as thyroid function normal at the moment but, im not relaxing yet as we all know all it can all change. How is everyone else? enjoying the sunshine & footy i hope. Elaine.
  • Posted

marigold, do you have artificial tears prescribed?

i am using some cheap eye drops from boots which help

my letter was dictated on the 11th june, i got it on the 23rd june, they wonder why u get frustrated

yes elaine the sun is nice, iv got a few jobs round the house and busy at work, in 4 weeks time we are going to menorca, cannot wait for that

how is everyone else doing?

• Posted

Hi Dave. Yes, I get the artificial tears on prescription.I'm on Minims artificial tears. I'm allergic to the preservative in some eye drops, and Minims doesn't have any. They're in separate little tubes, use once and throw away.I use them mainly when I go to bed, but when there's a lot of pollen about I use them during the day too. They help a lot.

I hope you feel better with your increased thyroxine. I'm on 100mcg together with carbimazole and propranolol. I'm feeling loads better, just wish I could put some weight on.

Enjoying the lovely weather, but I don't like it too hot.

Hope everyone else is ok.

Marigold.

• Posted

Hi All, Think i may need to consider artificial drops as my eyes are getting really dry & gritty. It seems that we get better with 1 symptom & then get another bloody 1!!!!!! The joys lol. Well what to say about footy what a load of s...e!!!!!! Hope you enjoy yourself in menorca Dave .Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi! The really bad swelling of my legs, ankles and feet has more or less gone now. However, my ankles feel stiff and sore and I get purple/red blotches. This is worse when I've been standing for a while. I don't know whether it's brusing from when my skin was stretched so much.

Is this normal with graves, and has anyone else had it?

Hope everyone is ok.

Marigold

• Posted

Hi All, yes Marigold, me too ! purple blotches on lower legs, just above ankles. Its been there for a while but noticed it spreading since overactive thyroid. Am wearing trousers and feel self conscious about it. No swelling, thank goodness. Hope you all okand you had a good holiday Elaine (what football ? ) ! I'm doing ok but so fed up with still having no stamina. Feel reasonably ok but when out shopping ( which I love!) I can only walk for a while before feeling ill and cant wait to get home. Just achy weak and unwell. Then I get worried and so feel worse. I have weaned my self off beta blockers and still uncomfortably aware of heart beat but will try to stick at it. I wondered if feeling rotten was caused in part by the Carbimazole so am taking it at night instead of in the morning. I really feel much better since but of course it may be \"all in the mind\" ! Have a good holiday Dave, hope you are all sorted soon. Bess x.
  • Posted

hi all, results came back a few days ago and im on 100mcg now.

feel dreadful today, booked the day off to do some work at home but not sure im up to it. felt great for a while but may have picked something up ?????

take it easy

• Posted

Hi Dave, Perhaps you are doing too much ? Once you are back at work it takes over I think and the fatigue eventually hits you. Hope you are feeling better soon and manage to get some rest. Bess.
  • Posted

Hi everybody. Bess, I feel better knowing you have purple blotches too, even though we don't know what they are. I'm going to ask the endo about them when I see him again in three weeks. I'll let you know what he says. Sorry you're tired when you go shopping and want to go home, but think of the money you're saving. :D

I've felt fine on the carbimazole, but I have no energy. I could just sleep all the time. I don't think the heat is helping. I'm still on the beta blockers and thyroxine.

Dave, I hope you soon feel better. Elaine, have you tried the eye drops?

Marigold

• Posted

Hi All, I have never suffered from the purple blotches on legs but, still get terrible pains in them. I havent tried eye drops yet as i cannot stand anything to do with eyes & i hate the thought of having to put drops in!!!! I can cope with anything else blood, guts etc but, not that lol i expect i will have to though as they are not getting better. Still apart from that i feel ok so cant complain. Like you Marigold i felt ok on carbimazole but, can relate to the sleep problem no matter how much i get i wake up feeling as if i havent had any but, this is down to me being under now. Dave i do hope you start to feel better soon hopefully they will get you on the right amount of thyroxine you do seem to be having a hard time of it. Well take care all till next time. Elaine.
  • Posted

well i had more blood tests and im back in hospital on the 15th, ill see what that brings.

everything as it was really, feel better then dont feel better then dont ect ect.... i go away on the 22nd of this month, cannot wait to get away

speak soon, take it easy all dave

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.