Overactive thyroid, graves - Part 1

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello All,

I was diagnosed with over active thyroid 5 months ago. It was found because my pulse was 120 and irregular. Shortly after they found out i had graves disease. i dont have many of the graves symptoms but it does give me an over active thyroid. I am a 36 year old male, it seems to be mainly women who get this, only 1 in 7 are male im told.

I had a TH3 - 30 and TH4 - 75 after a few weeks of 40mg carbinazole, im also on whaferin 7mg (so far!)and propanazole 80mg.

my muscles have ached for years, i used to be such a atheletic person playing pro sport in my early 20's, now i ache and get muscle cramps quite often. i am relieved that i have finaly been diagnosed with something as i thought i was going mad, but now i want it to end

anyone been through a similar experience? i would love to hear from you

dave

0 likes, 369 replies

369 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi elaine, m not monitoring myself with any science, just by the way i feel.

my aches and pains have returned sonce i stopped carbinaole, does this mean im over or under??????????????????/ feel really tired, physically.

under is better than over, the side effec\\ts are still bad but not dangerous

dave

• Posted

yep, still aching, it makes it difficult to sleep well, what about you?
  • Posted

Hi Elaine it's Kay! Is this a private conversation or can I join in??!!

I've got a blood test tomorrow (first one for 2 months) and hopefully, if it's still in the normal range (whatever that is!), I'm going to ask if I can have the Carbimazole reduced (currently on 5mg a day). I've been on it for a year now, but not sure how long they keep you on it. Any idea?

I've been feeling well lately, although have put on weight and can not budge it, but have this awful feeling it's going to happen again. Because I was rushed into hospital, blue light, etc etc, every time I get the slightest hint of being unwell, even if it's a tummy ache, head ache, etc. I think I'm going to be really ill again. It's just knocked my confidence.

I've started a new job, part time, but had a panic attack in the car park the other night, followed by a bout of vertigo, and I thought, here we go again, I'm going to die here and now in this car park! Obviously I didn't, and it did pass, but it was a scary moment. I hate it when my heart races.

Anyhow, looking forward to catching up soon. You do seem to be suffering at the moment though.

Take care,

Kay x

• Posted

Hi Kaye,

Happy for you to join in, i dont think 5mg is a lot of carbinazole, i was on 4omg till just the other day, they told me it wasnt good for you long term, what ever long term is?? i think it lowers your immune system, eventually! they wouldnt keep you on it so long if it wasnt good for you.

im really physcally tired, dont know how long i can go on until i need to take a few days off, ill seee,

take care dave

• Posted

Hi, Kaye i was going to txt you about the 15th dec thats ok for me.Anyway i am now on 5mg of carbimazole

as i was under but, think i may be over slightly now bloody gr8 lol.i dont feel too bad & think i maybe at my right level but, as you said what is the right level? I know they say normal ranges are between 11 & 24 but, your level could be 15 & mine 17 & thats why its so hard to get it right. (Hope that made sense) anyway will explain more when i see you. Hi to you david you might well be under now due to the rai & yes it is easier to control but, you should go & have blood test now so they can get your meds right as you may need thyroxine. Dont wait till january. Let us know how you get on. Take care Elaine.x

• Posted

Hi, both forgot to say they usually keep you on carbimazole for about 18 months but, that could vary. Kaye dont come off too early .Elaine. x
  • Posted

hi, i agree with elaine, i think the risks involved with coming off too early far outway any possible side affect
  • Posted

Hi all,

I've brought forward my appointment to next Thursday. I have hardley slept for 4 or 5 nights so I'm thinking of booking the week off on holiday, i dont really want a large sick record.

ill let you know how it gos, cheers, dave

• Posted

Hi Dave, Sorry to hear your not feeling too good do you think you may still be hyper? i ask because if you were hypo you tend to sleep more & you said you were`nt sleeping.(though everyone is different) I went to docs yesterday & he upped my carbimazole as i am now over. I have slight tremors back & bad palpatations.He has sent a letter to endo stating he is not impressd & to get me sorted asap.Like you i dont like to have time off work i had 10 weeks off at the beginning & odd days since but, why should you have to take a/ leave its not your fault. Anyway hope you get on ok at docs keep us posted. Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine, yes i still think im over, i got a feeling the rai is still working, well thats what they told me. ive took the next 2 days off and will review it over the weekend. I dont feel fit enough to do a full week, i may ask them for reduced hours, is it worth it though???? If im ill should i just stay off?

sounds like you should be in for rai sooner rather than later, i feel so much better when im on carbinazole, hopefully youll feel better very soon and the symptoms should subside.

I struggle sleeping so im really tired, glad im off tomorrow!!!

dave

• Posted

Hi Dave, Blimey you were up late or early bloody horrid when you cant sleep.I`ve just come back from work early as not feeling too good ( feel a bit panicky)I will go to docs tomorrow if still feel like this. When i returned to work i went back on reduced hours & this did help so, it might be worth you doing that for a couple of weeks at least that way they know your willing lol.Well take care.Elaine.
  • Posted

hi elaine, i hope your feelinng better.

i have been off work for a few days and feel alot better for it, i feel good enough to return but as my hospital appointment is thursday will prob take tomorrow off as well to rest, ill let you know how it goes

dave

• Posted

Hi Dave, Glad to hear your feeling better. Hope everything goes well tomorrow. Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine,

The consultant just said i need to give the treatment time an that my body as been jumping up and down s i take and come off carbinazole. he said be patient and return in 4 weeks.

i feel better and will return to work on monday, its only a week and then im off for 2 weeks, how you getting o?

• Posted

Hi Dave and Elaine,

I get my blood test results tomorrow - went two months in between tests this time as I have been 'normal' for a few months. Have been feeling a bit 'over' lately, but wonder of that's anything to do with new job and the Xmas rush!

Fed up being overweight, can't seem to shift it on Carbimazole, but I do feel better, so what I have to get my head round is that although I'm fatter, I am better, - what would I rather have?! Fatter and better or thinner and overactive? Choices, choices!

Looking forward to meeting up with you on Tuesday Elaine. Hang on in there Dave - although it makes you ask yourself \"why me\"?

Kay x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.