Overactive thyroid, graves - Part 1

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello All,

I was diagnosed with over active thyroid 5 months ago. It was found because my pulse was 120 and irregular. Shortly after they found out i had graves disease. i dont have many of the graves symptoms but it does give me an over active thyroid. I am a 36 year old male, it seems to be mainly women who get this, only 1 in 7 are male im told.

I had a TH3 - 30 and TH4 - 75 after a few weeks of 40mg carbinazole, im also on whaferin 7mg (so far!)and propanazole 80mg.

my muscles have ached for years, i used to be such a atheletic person playing pro sport in my early 20's, now i ache and get muscle cramps quite often. i am relieved that i have finaly been diagnosed with something as i thought i was going mad, but now i want it to end

anyone been through a similar experience? i would love to hear from you

dave

0 likes, 369 replies

369 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

Just got results for this months blood test - 15.1, so am in the 'normal range' again. Have got appointment with GP tomorrow to ask when I could start cutting down the Carbimazole. I'm not in a hurry but need to see some light at the end of the tunnel. It's been 12 months now, and they do say 18 months on Carbimazole. I'm just afraid it'll flare up again as I was so poorly this time last year and do not want to go through that again. Is it normal to have a relapse? (Not that I want it to happen to me, but fore armed is fore warned!)

Hope you are well Elaine and how is work going Dave?

Kay x

• Posted

Hi Kay, Well thats good news wish mine would stabilise but, unfortunatly it wont so, got to have rai. Hopefully it wont flare up again but, be on your guard as it could at least this time you know what to look for. Im looking forward to christmas cos like you this time last year was really poorly. Well Take Care let us know how gp appt goes. Hope you are staying well Dave? Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi all,

im a little tired and my heart rate goes up now and then but generally i fel ok. the hospital told me to be patient and i return in jan.

xmas is a busy time i have a 9 and 7 year olds and eveyone is coming to us xmas day. i havnt really had a drink for months so i cannot even bury myself in a bottle os something!!!!!!

im on redced hours this week and then off for 2, ill see how it is then, not sure most people understand.

when they sort my thyroid, what affects will the graves have? do you have any links to info on life after rai but with graves?

all the ebst to you both dave

• Posted

Hi Dave, Glad your feeling ok i dont feel too bad either which is good maybe we will be able to enjoy xmas. As for the drink i shall have a couple cant be expected to give up everything lol.As you know you will always have graves i dont know how that will affect us apart from the fact to look out for any changes with eyes. I do know that in some cases you can become over-active again so also look out for that & also our immune systems will always been down.(great wheres the gun lol). Well have a great xmas im working boxing day sad but got my birthday & new year off.Take Care Elaine.
  • Posted

i too have been diagnosed overactive - thought i was having a breakdown - heart racing - mine too was 120 bpm but gp did not seem concerned - must have been regular! hot sweats, shivers, throwing up - but eating everything in sight - felt really ill. was on 20 mg carbimazole, 80mg propranalol but after only 4 weeks thyroid swung to underactive so went on 10mg carb - dropped propranolol as decided that although still could feel my heartbeat - if i was underactive i did not need it - thyroid climbing back up but slowly so now on 5mg. now feel much calmer and weller but bit depressed and periods stopped. funy thing is - i feel like my heart is working over time but if i take my pulse it is fine - think we get very sensitive to the workings of our body.

i have been told mine is NOT graves so have no idea what has caused mine.

i am 35 and want to start a family in next few yrs so hoping meds work and i will be ok when i come off them. seems to be a mixed bag of results - know people who have been on meds for years, some who have never had to go back on and others who have had surgery.

• Posted

hi all,

i was supposed to be back at hospital today but cannot make it, snowed in. ive requestd another appopintment, apart from that im up and down, not sure ill ever be stable again but ill keep going!!!

happy new year to you all,

dave

• Posted

Hi, Happy new year. We have bad snow here in oxfordshire as well great aint it lol. Sorry to hear you havent been able to make your hospital appt & that your yo-yoing.Like you i dont think you ever get back to normal but, what we have to do is stay positive. I know thats hard when you feel like crap. I have endo appt in feb so, will probarbly be told then when i will have rai.(Thats something to look forward to) Im still not 100% sure on it but, whats the alternative. On the whole i havent felt too bad apart from the sweats & palpitations but, i think thats the menopause -something else to look forward too. Lets hope that 2010 brings us all happiness & better health.Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine,

let it snow let it snow, theyve shut my college so ive had an extra week off!!yipeee!

they are posting me an new appointment but the post hasnt come!!!

stick in there, the palpatations and sweats are a pain, jus take it easy when things get like that, thats the only advice i can give im afraid, it does get better.

i feel better most the time but i dont feel right. i lowered my carbinazole and propanalol from 2 tablets a day to 1 when my ecg gave me a heart rate of 50, yes just 50! the doctor it the roof and said this is not a game i have had a very very very violent thyroid!!!!!!!!!! felt really stupid ater that, thing is the consultant said he didnt went to put me back on the meds unless my thyroid was really bad, he then sends me a letter saying im slightly over go back on the 40mg, so when i got 50beats per minute i presumed the rai was working and lowed the meds knowing it was 3 day before xmas and my next appointment wasnt for a week! it wasnt me playing a game but using what ive been told to make a judgement, i wont do it again though or if i do i wont admit to it so easy!!!!!!!!!!!!

take it easy the rai will be the end of the road for you im sure, well as much as an end as we will get i think, the other symptoms will remain but hopefully it will not affec us all too much, fingers crossed hey!

david, all the best

• Posted

Hi Dave, Bloody snow its not funny anymore lol. Have just had 3 letters from hospital 2 for appointments & 1 to tell me to reduce my meds. I think i will be having rai soon but, still a little apprehensive about it. I know i cant go on being under then over etc but im just a little afraid. Did you feel this way? Glad your back on track with meds thing is 1 minute they say reduce then increase know wonder our hearts cant cope!!!!! I really hope that 2010 is going to be a good year for all of us thyroid sufferers. Take care. Hope to hear from you soon. Elaine.
  • Posted

its madness here, my daughters 10 tomorrow and shes have a slepover with 10 friends!!!!!!!!!1

I WAS A LITTLE CONCENED BUT THOUGHT WHAT THEHECK, THE DOCS SAYS ITS THE RIGHT THING FOR ME SO IT MUST BE-oopps caught the caps sorry.

dont worry, youll be fine it will all be worth it in the end, just go for it and itll work out fine.

good luck let me know what happens wont ya

• Posted

Hi Dave, Glad things are looking more positive for you our bodies are very good at adjusting when given time. I dont feel too bad just night sweats & the palpitations but, these are getting better. I hope to have my rai in march but, like i said before am a little apprehensive so its good to be able to communicate with someone who has had it & can relate to others. Lucky you being off soon doing anything good? How long did you have to take off work following rai? Well take care. Elaine.
  • Posted

Just read your last post Dave. 10 friends? f...... Hell lol you must be mad. Those days are over for me now have to put up with grandkids. Well the best of luck to you!!!!! Elaine.
  • Posted

Me again, Im going mad ive replied to 1 of your old posts!!!!!!!! dated dec i need that rai & fast lol.
  • Posted

lol.....

i ha to take 3 weks off work after the rai, and probably the same after the sleepover!

i dont feel so great now ive caught a cold which is just a pain and the wife has fallen out with me, just great!!!!!

she hates her job at the mo, as ever she takees it out on me, when i react everyone jumps to the conclusion that its my fault because ive got or had an over active thyroid and graves so every argument we have ever had or will have must be my fault!!!!

dave

• Posted

Hi, I opted for the flu jab & glad to say it worked. As for the arguements i win as it is put down to my thyroid. Being a man you cant win you must know that by now lol.Elaine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.