Overactive Thyroid Graves Part 4

Posted , 60 users are following.

We all have Graves Disease or overactive thyroid issues, most of us have been through RAI and are now on thyroxine.

10 likes, 1228 replies

1228 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Sue. Oink Oink lol

I'm pleased you're starting to feel better. I hope your chest infection clears up soon.

Our family are going on holiday tomorrow for three weeks, so we'll miss them. neutral

How's your little grandson?

love,

Marigold xx

• Posted

Hello

Marigold my cats a lot better , she's just struggling with one back leg now, but from how she was she's doing really well smile

They have been taking my bloods every two weeks since I had rai but its only been a week since my last but hey I shouldn't complain smile. I'm using this nasal spray and its horrid but will carry on if it means I will be better . How are you Marigold? X

Sue I'm really pleased they finally listen to you and are sorting you out smile ,its great your feeling a bit better ,hope the chest infection clears soon x

Take care Deb xx

• Posted

Hi Deb. That's really good news about your cat. biggrin

I had my bloods checked every two weeks after RAI too. I'm fine thanks. My T4 was going down a bit, so my GP suggested I increase my thyroxine from 50 daily to 50 and 75 alternate days. If that doesn't work I'll try 75 every day. I can always tell when my bloods aren't quite right as my hair goes funny, all soft with no body and I can't do a thing with it. eek

Marigold xx

• Posted

Hi All

After many hours of indecision & after reading many posts in the forums I have decided to opt for surgery rather than RAI.

I have spoken to a colleague who opted for surgery & he's never looked back, he was stable after only a short time after the operation, despite having issues with parathyroid & needing to take calcium supplements he feels very well.

Had another meeting with endo this morning so I have advised my decision. I was surprised when I was called into the consultation as I was being seen by the head of endo at the hospital. She was very straight talking and I know she was not impressed that I had left my thyroid untreated for such a long time!

I know I was very stupid but because I never really felt unwell it was not something I thought about much. Work & family tend to take up all my time!

I will never know if the arthritis symptoms came as a result of Graves being untreated of if I would have developed it anyway. I just wish I didnt have it! It is so difficult to do the simplest of things sometimes, last night I ended up in tears of frustration because I couldn't get my t-shirt off!

I have always been a fairly active person and I can't stand the thought of not being able to ride my bike or go skiing again! I am ever hopeful that I will improve once thyroid removed but who knows, perhaps that is just wishful thinking!

At least the endo acknowledged the arthritis today, that's progress, she is going to sort out a referral to a rheumatologist - its only taken 12 weeks for that to move forward!

I will let you know how things develop.

Thanks all - it has been very useful to read your posts & it is good to know there are others who really understand how us Gravers feel!

Have a good bank holiday weekend all

• Posted

hi acd, my endo advised me to have RAI as i had a multi nodual goiter ,have you discussed the options with your endo,hope it works out for you xx

Marigold and debs i could oink with happiness ,i just hope it carries on this way ,ive had so many downs with all the other meds maybe they didnt suit me ,i pray for this to work and my cortisols levels are fine ,then hopefully when i increase my armour i will be on top of the world biggrin I know that my body will never be the way it was but i must say i feel a bit more normal now like a numbness lifting ,its early days and i have only had 5 tablets (60mgs) i feel its more natural what i am taking ,i also hope that they will always be available .

Marigold you are going to miss them when they go on holiday ,im always waiting for mine to come home lol even after 1 day ,my grandson has just learnt to ride his bike hes ever so proud

well just off to see if i have grown a curly tail ,snout and trotters , eek i know i got a pot belly so i might aswell as have the all the other bits lol nite nite everyone sue xx

• Posted

Hello everyone.

Hi Ann. You'll feel better now that you've decided what to do.

When I first started with Graves I was working and didn't miss a day, but when it flared up three years ago I couldn't have gone to work. I couldn't climb the stairs or get in and out of the bath. I've never felt so ill in my life.

It's disgraceful the time you're expected to wait to see a consultant. My hubby had a health scare a few weeks ago and needed to see a neurologist. He would have had to wait four months for an appointment with the NHS, but luckily we have private health cover so he was seen within a week. He was told there was nothing seriously wrong, but he would have been worrying for four months.

I'm sure you'll feel a lot better when you've had treatment. I feel fine most of the time, but tend to tire easily. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hi Sue.I'm so glad you're feeling better.Our little granddaughter has just got a bike, but she has such skinny little legs that she can't pedal and her dad has to push her. lol

We'll miss them when they're away, but the time will soon pass (I hope). biggrinxx

Are your sinuses getting better Deb?

Thinking of everyone.

Marigold

xxx

• Posted

Hello everyone

Marigold I'm feeling a lot better thank you,the nasal spray seems to be working, the doctor never said if I had to stop using it once feeling better or carry on with it.

Your thyroxin dose doesn't seem that high so I'm hoping I'm lucky like you and stay on a low dose smile x

Sue I know what you mean about the pot belly lol I've had one since having rai x

Ann don't you take anything for your thyroid? X

The one thing I am happy with now is when I check my heart rate it's now below 80 instead of over 100 smile .

Take care Deb xx

• Posted

Hi Deb

I had not been taking anything at all for the last few years, silly I know! Am now taking low dose of carbimazole & beta blockers, so far I am ok taking the pills.

I have had adverse reaction to both in the past - its my view that I was taking too much of both historically so I'm ok at the moment given both are a low dose.

I have been offered RAI but have chosen not to have it. I think most people end up taking thyroxine after having RAI so I just thought may as well just get the operation done, rightly or wrongly!

Hope everyone is doing ok.

Ann

• Posted

Hello everyone

What a lovely sunny day it is smile.

Ann like marigold says you will feel better now you have decided what to have smile ,I don't know how you coped having over active thyroid and not taking anything ,betablocker s helped me loads x

I'm feeling a little better today so might try a walk out in the sun,sunny weather always make s you feel better smile

Take care Deb xx

• Posted

Hi Deb

Thanks for message, I think I feel better having made the decision but I'm now worried about the operation!

Glad you are feeling better today, a walk in the sun sounds just the ticket. I should be getting my garden done but I'm incapable today, fingers are too swollen!

Enjoy the sun.

Ann

• Posted

Hi Deb.

I'm glad you're feeling better, and hope you enjoyed your walk in the sun. It's good to be able to get outside, it's been a long winter. xx

Hi Ann.

It's only natural to feel apprehensive when you're going to have an operation, but once it's over and you're on the right dose of thyroxine I'm sure you'll feel loads better.

I've done some gardening this afternoon, but I'll know about it tomorrow. lol

Thinking of everyone.

love

Marigold

• Posted

Hello everyone

I had my bloods took yesterday and doctor phoned me this morning ,

First of all she said stop all tablets as you have gone over active again so I asked what my levels were and she said let me just look.

She then said I'm sorry I've got them mixed up your more under active than before so stay on tablets,then said oh I'm not sure I can't work it out.

If the doctor is confused what hope is there sad. .

My levels are T4 13.2. , T3 2.5. , TSH 80 . So I don't know if I'm on the right dose of tablets or not, tried many time this morning to ring the endo but just get answer phone sad.

My T4 seems to have got better but my TSH has change again quickly .

Deb xx

• Posted

Hi Deb. It doesn't fill you with much confidence when your GP doesn't know what to do.

Your T4 is a little bit low, but within the normal range, but your TSH is very high. Are you sure she said 80 and not 18? Even at 18 it would be too high, and it means you need more thyroxine.

Your endo is the one you need to speak to so I'd keep on phoning until you can get hold of him. Are you still feeling ok?

Let us know how you get on. Take care.

Marigoldxx

• Posted

Hello marigold

Yes I've phoned and double checked the tsh and its 80 . I got through to the endo s office and they said someone will ring me but they have said that before and never returned my calls .

I feel ok apart from another headache and a bit tired , my t4 as been this low before and I felt ok but never had tsh that high so not sure how that makes you feel .

I'm amazed at how quickly the tsh as gone up, a month ago I think it was 16 , oh well we have to carry on dont we smile .

I'm having a lazy day today in front of the tv smile

Deb xx

• Posted

Hello Deb.

My last T4 was 15 so it's not much different to yours. I think the TSH is just saying that you need some more thyroxine. I don't think it'll make any difference to how you feel.

Our GPs are changing all the time. The one I saw a couple of weeks ago was good, but when I phoned to make another appointment with her they said she was leaving, so I'll have to see someone else.

It's much cooler and rainy here today. I did loads of work yesterday, so I'm having a quieter day today. biggrin

Let us know if you hear from the endo.

Marigold xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.