Overactive Thyroid Graves Part 4

Posted , 60 users are following.

We all have Graves Disease or overactive thyroid issues, most of us have been through RAI and are now on thyroxine.

10 likes, 1228 replies

1228 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Marigold

The endo office is now shut so as I thought no phone call back, I'm due to see the endo on the 30th of this month but beings he didn't bother to ring me back I'm going to phone in the morning and demand I see him sooner , it's really ignorant of them to say they will ring and don't, it bugs me .

Did you get much gardening done the other day ? I've had decking and pots as I'm not into gardening but since having decking I do miss having a lawn .

I've been spoilt today , just sitting in bedroom watching tv while my partner is decorating the kitchen and bringing me food and coffees up smile , wouldn't mind this every day smile .

Deb xx

• Posted

Hi Deb. There a lot of ignorant folk about. It's a good idea to ask for your appointment to be brought forward, I always think it's easier to discuss things face to face.

I got some weeding done the other day. We have a big garden, but we're finding it a bit much as we get older. We have someone to cut the grass and someone else comes every year to cut the hedges. At some point I think we're going to have to move to somewhere with a smaller garden. We have lots of pots on the patio and I enjoy looking after them.

Send your partner round when he's finished, there's some decorating we want doing. lol

Take care.

Marigold xxx

• Posted

hi everyone , i know how you feel debs reguarding doctors, evil as i was once told "hes a very busy man" dealing with sick people .. I flew back at her and said i am sick too cheesygrinhope you feel better soon,

Marigold hope you are nt over doing things tut lol..

just an update ,i am feeling ok on the armour but i dont know if my levels have gone down or whether its my cortisol levels low ,i feel so fatigued nausceous most of the time and back ache ,i have only done a few jobs today the rest just sitting down i have got that breathlessness back,i have some of these symptoms before i started armour .i am due to increase my armour on sunday ....i just hope i have enough energy to go to the hospital in the morning ,i have to be there for nine for an synacthen test ,i was wondering that if it is low how soon would i get treatment ??would the nurse phone my endo or what ,if it is alright i will ask her to phone endo to see if i can up my meds before sunday its such a bl###dy nuscience isnt it ..

Beth how are you ,can you let us no please

take care everyone

love sue xx

• Posted

Hi all, thankyou so much for your kind words of comfort when my dear old dog Tess died, you are a lovely lot I have worn myself out running about here and there because its so awful in the house without her, as they say "love hurts.

Sue, I cant believe you have got armour at last ! What a long and hard road you have had to get it, I hope you are bouncing around now ? You deserve to feel fantastic after all you have been through.

Deb, what shabby treatment you have had, the sooner you see the endo the better, what makes them think its ok to not only not know the answers but to not even have the courtesy to return phone calls. .Go girl, sort em out !.

Marigold, are you feeling better and have the auras settled down ? You must have wondered what was going on.Thinking of you.

I am feeling a bit low at the moment, cant sleep, heart thumping at times and always hungry so wondering if the old thyroid is kicking off again, of course it may be stress so I will wait a week or so and then see the GP if no improvement.

Kat and Baz, how are you ? Hope you are ok.

Ann, my granddaughter had her thyroid removed because she reacted badly to all the medication. She had parathyroid issues afterwards so takes calcium supplements but she recovered really well from the op and is healtheir and happier than she has been for years. She has never looked back, I'm sure you will be so pleased to get it done and will return to good health very quickly afterwards. It will all go well, I'm sure, all the best with it and try not to worry (easy to say, I know!).

love to all, been thinking of you.

Bess x x x

• Posted

Hi Bess

I am sorry to hear about your dog, I know it is so very hard, we become so attached to our pets.

Thanks for the update on your granddaughter - its good to know that she is fit and happy.

I just want it all to be over and I want to feel normal, go out on my bike and not be in paid with arthritis! I live in hope!

Good wishes to you all

Ann

• Posted

Sue, so sorry, I hadnt seen your message when I posted. I wish you were feeling better, you have been so much, you have the patience of a saint. I
  • Posted

This flaming computer ! As I was saying Sue, I hope you get on ok at the hospital and can understand my garbled messages. Am about to throw computer out of window !

Hang on in there Ann,

night night all,

Bess x x x

• Posted

Hi All

Just wondering how everyone is doing - well I hope.

I am having a really bad day today, feeling so worn out, have not moved off chair all day. I don't understand why it is so up and down, I felt good yesterday, maybe I did too much - I just expect to be able to carry on as normal but I know I can't. No date for my surgery yet, but I suppose I need to get thyroid levels down before that happens. I have been taking 15mg of carbimazole and endo wants me to increase the dose every few days to reach 40mg. I am not looking forward to that, I know last time I was on a high dose I felt dreadful, like I was going to faint all the time. I know its a means to an end though so I will just have to put up with it!

I am not sure if the carbimazole is giving me additional pains in my joints/muscles or if its the arthritis. Has anyone else suffered joint pains while taking carbimazole?

Sorry for all the moaning!

Have a good weekend everyone.

Kind regards

Ann

• Posted

Hi ann ,your not moaning its part of your illness,its a horible illness .Icouldnt explain how it made me feel to my family, no energy feeling glum pain everywhere the symptoms go on and on .You wouldnt think that little butterfly in your throat could cause so many symptoms would you , but if your levels are out everything in your body suffers as it controls everything Keep your chin up and i hope its not too long before you have your appointment xx

take care

sue

• Posted

Hello everyone,

Just an update and a question, i had RAI in mid April and was taken off Carbimzole at the same time. I had my first blood test and subsequent endo appointment yesterday. All seems to be going ok, however on my blood results the TSH has fallen from 2.5 to 0.5 since the RAI, can anyone explain why this would happen?

The endo said it was normal, even though its only 0.2 off there minimum range. I was expecting the TSH to increase following RAI and not decrease.

Any thoughts ?

Chris

• Posted

Hi Chris and Everyone,

I seem to remember going over active again after RAI, I even developed a huge lump in my neck, GP put me back on Carbs but I only took them for a week when I felt a change and right enough at my next blood test my TSH had started to rise which was the start of me going under active.

If fact I just looked back at my test numbers and within a month my TSH went from 0.1 to 49.75!

I think it's the thyroid getting rid of all the stored T4 before giving up. I'm sure Marigold will let us know if I've got that wrong ;-)

Sorry I've neglected you all for a while, just dodging on with life. Feeling like a new person since taking my three iron tablets a day, back to see the GP on Friday to see if they have worked.

Take care,

Kat xxxx

• Posted

Hi everyone

Hello Chris. My T4 shot up and my TSH was very low following RAI, and I had to go back on block and replace for 3 months. As Kat says it's the thyroid throwing out what's stored - it's last fling. biggrin Kat makes me sound like the world expert on thyroids, but I'm not. cheesygrin Are you feeling ok?

Take care,

Marigold

• Posted

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies, that makes sense, i saw a consultant yesterday who was quite rude and abrupt with me. I asked them for the T4 result and she refused to give it. Also asked to explain the low TSH and she said its just how it is.

I had my RAI done with a different NHS trust and the difference in attitudes and staff behaviour was huge. Everyone from the receptionists to the nurses and doctors all treated me with respect and kindness. At my usual hospital i feel as if im barely tolerated as a patient. You feel as though you just have to accept it.

But thanks for the replies guys. I will have another blood test done in a couple of weeks and then see what the figures are.

Chris x

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on for a while, mum has been in hospital for the last 7 weeks with a fracture of her pelvis. So we have been doing the 100 mile round trip most days, so we are both very tired she has now been transferred to a rehab centre that is physio based not sure how long she will be there. So we now do the trip every other day.

I saw my new endo and he has reduced my thyroxine to 50mg a day and touch would I feel fine, I still get very tired and I'm awake most nights. I have to have a blood test next month.

Welcome to all the new people on here, this is a great forum.

I hope everyone is doing okay?

I will try and read the last couple of months posts to catch up

Take care love Maria xx

• Posted

Hi All,

Chris glad it helped, I often found that it was only when I got home from an appointment that I thought oh I wished I'd asked that or I didn't understand what the Endo meant, this forum really helped me out, especially Professor Marigold :-) lol.

Marigold - I'm doing really well thanks, have finally got my energy back so trying to up the exercise to shift some of this weight, 21lbs gone so far :-) we are off to Turkey in 5 weeks and for once really looking forward to it. Anxiety and heart palps have all but disappeared since I've been on the iron tablets, I'm thinking now I must have been anaemic for years!

Maria - sorry to hear about your Mum I hope the physio helps her, it is very tiring visiting relatives in hospital as it seems to take up all of your day. Make the most of the days your at home.

Sue, Bess, Barry you all ok?

I'm just back from my first Pilates class, would have never even thought about that a year ago.

Kat xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.