overactive thyroid symptoms but tests negative

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have all the symptoms of overactive thyroid but after 2 lots of blood tests 6 months apart, all have come back clear

I am still losing weight although I eat lots and now I am hyper. I can't settle . Need to be cleaning cupboards, ironing, up at 6.30 every morning raring to go. ( not normal for me !)

My doctor doesn't know what to suggest now apart from to have some more bloods in 6 weeks time to see if there is any change

My hair is thinning slightly  and I feel a bit shaky also

Anyone else had these symptoms but no diagnosis ?

Starting to worry !!!

2 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, I felt awful, but each time I had tests my thyroid function was ok....turns out I've Graves Disease, my levels go up and down, I'm generally T 3 toxic now as I was undiagnosed for so long x

thinning hair, tremors  etc they generally blame hormones...especially if you're of a certain age ....I'm now menopausal and having to deal with that as well as Graves.

thank god I was diagnosed or I'd still be struggling with being patronised as a menopausal crazy!

keep a diary of symptoms, persevere, hope you get help,eventually xx

• Posted

Hi Jan

Mind my asking where you are based? It sounds similar to myself. Long story. Fed up with the NHS

• Posted

Hi Jan,

just spoken to nurse at my surgery.

i was only tested for TSH which was 0.56

It seems if the TSH is normal I won't be tested for the T3 or T4

and the TSH is well within range

• Posted

Perhaps you need a new doctor. If you don't feel well and the doctor can't figure it out then it's time to change. Just some advice.
  • Posted

Hello babasc52  I went to see my doctor 10 times and she did not pick up on Graves disease I went down to 5stones did not stop eating if I ate a Mars bar within an hour I passed a Mars bar food was going though my system so fast I had to be in close vacinity to a lavatory all the time. My heart was beating so fast I was shaking from head to foot and I couldnt lay down sat up in bed proped up with pillows.  My periods did not stop so the doctor decided I needed an hysterectomy. Like you I did not stop working washing ironing etc at my workplace I was testing telephone lines three times as fast as the other technicians. It was only when my DR. was on leave and I saw her partner he realized what was wrong and ordered a different blood test  the day after I saw him I had an emergency appointment at the North Middlesex Hospital. Because my condition was not picked I have spent the last thirty years with problems. Dont leave it get a second opinion. Unlike my mother I did not get bulging eyes or a lump in my throat and that is what most GP look for but we do not all follow the text book.

• Posted

Hi and thanks for your reply

I find it very worrying the amount of people who don't get diagnosed

I really don't think my doctor knows what to do or say to me

Come back in 6 weeks is a bit of a put off

Like you, I eat lots of chocolate, biscuits etc plus normal meals 

Do you know which blood test you had that made the difference ?

I have had 2 lots of bloods done now and I know my doctor added another couple of things to be tested for. All negative !

• Posted

Depressed don't generally know to diagnose graves, I was lucky, a GP locus nkticed my over large goitre  and sent me to be tested. 

This, after I was sent home in a wheelchair from hospital , drooling after being dosed with diazepam to sedate me , from shaking. They thought I was just having a panic attack. So, when that wore off, I was still shaking! Lovely toxicity in my T3 levels, while my T 4. Was off the scale!

dangerous thing, ignorance.

we need to be aware of all symptoms and the need to check everything x

• Posted

Hello Babssc52   I am afraid I dont know what the blood test was as a am certain the second DR. I saw did the blood test himself he rang me at home late that evening and told my husband to get me to the hospital first thing in the morning as he had arranged an emergency appointment for me. That DR. saved my life, GPs do notseem to have a clue about thyroid problems. You could ask to see an Endrocrinologist   regards Jacky

• Posted

I'm the same , I feel tired all the time , get hit sweats and shakes hands and fast heart beat. Cannot put on weight sbd missed period . I'm convinced it's my thyroid but the tests come back clear 

• Posted

Em .. are you aware this is an old discussion maybe you should put up a new post 

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Im going through this. Blood tests came back fine. But I'm losing weight so badly my family and friends are concerned. Plus my eyes are protruding badly, blood pressure is absurdly out of control even with meds, irritable all day, head fog...idk. I believe theres a problem. But no help i guess

• Posted

Hi im the same got diagnosed hyper,,they got my levels down to normal with carbimazol..went hypo..got my levels back to normal..they stopped my meds 4 months ago and have had 3 blood tests that all show my levels ok..but ive still got a lot of symptoms ie,poor sleep..anxiousness..short of breath..incredibly arsey,,keep falling out with people..but my gp:s say it cant possibly be my graves/hyper it must be depression..but i know it isnt ..i am waiting to see my endo {will end up being 6 months after i was supposed to see them because of the backlog } i spoke to his secretary on the phone and she said its quite common to have symptoms even though your levels are ok..its just the gps dont seem to understand this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.