overcome with grief about euthanasia please help

Posted , 5 users are following.

3 days ago we put our beloved cat down. He was 15 1/2 but started sleeping a lot and had been drinking water from our glasses beside the bed. He stopped eating one day and so we took him to the vet with the news it was pretty bad kidney disease. I feel so bad because i should have taken him to the vet months ago for a check up..but he seemed happy until the last few weeks he was very whingy. I am so guilt ridden because i would get angry at him for meowing so much. The poor little man was just trying to tell us something wasn't right! We got him an anti nausea injection and the vet recommended to put him down the next day. My partner didn't want to put him on IV fluids in a hospital because he didn't want that stress for him. We slept with him in the lounge room that night and gave him as much love as possible. we put him down the next day. The poor little thing was so confused and limp. I keep thinking that we could have saved him! It was too quick and we didn't even try to help him.  it could have helped!? I am suffering so much sadness and guilt. I want my beautiful cat back and its too late....I can't stop crying

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Kate, my dog was diagnosed with kidney disease one month before we had to end his suffering. It showed up in his annual physical bloodwork. I almost wish that he hadn't been diagnosed because the treatment the vet suggested was to change his diet to one for dogs with kidney disease. Until that change in diet, he had been eating fine and we didn't think that he was acting sick - just old. Once he was getting "treatment", he wouldn't eat and he started losing weight which is the worse for progression of the disease in dogs. It was painful to watch him try to eat - he was starving, but couldn't bring himself to eat much, even when we changed his diet back and offerred him all sorts of foods that he had liked before.  I can't help but think that if we had never changed his diet to one that is better for kidney disease, he would have been able to eat for awhile longer and he would have lasted more than one month. So, please don't be hard on yourself for not taking your beloved cat to the vet sooner. It could have been worse for him. Take care of yourself and I hope that you are feeling better soon.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

That must have been terrible. It's so hard with animals and young children when you can't explain why they need to go through something. I realise that any type of grief big or small holds that 'What if' and that if we know we are good people, we always strive to do the best we can in any given moment naturally.... if we truly believe that...then the 'what if' doesn't exist. Just love, which is all we can do, This forum has opened my heart and mind, helped me to understand. I know that people out there from this disease are really suffering badly; and for a long time.

I am so grateful to have heard from all of these compassionate understanding people to give that energy towards me in my time of grief however big or small.

Thank you.

• Posted

You are so right about the "what if's". It doesn't help to go there. I know that my Moonshadow was loved and that I made the best choices I could for his care on his behalf. It also doesn't help me to think about "what ifs" regarding my own health conditions, one of them being ckd. All that I can do is take the best care of my health today and going forward and to make the best decisions that I can with input from my doctors and the incredibly supportive people in this forum.

• Posted

Moonshadow was lucky to have you with him in his life. It's a fine line between needing to grieve and being strong. Both are important i believe. I also believe in the power of the mind. I once read 'you can heal your life'  Louise Hay. Interesting read. It seems you are doing everything any good, intellegent human would do in these circumstances. I am not religious but I send out a loving prayer to everyone dealing with health issues such as these. Linda, I wish health, strength and love for you in the coming months and years. xo

• Posted

Thank you, Kate for your kind and thoughtful words. I'm glad that you happened upon this forum. Peace.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.