overwhelming anxiety and severe insomnia

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello Lovely ladies.

I have'nt been on here for a while for various reasons hope you are all keeping well, as well as you can at this stage anyway.

I just wanted to ask for any advice about my overwelming anxiety I seem to have at the moment. I am worrying myself sick over anything and everything for no apparrent reason and its making it really hard to do just normal things. I find myself worryong about events weeks ahead. I have a family gathering this Friday and just don't know how I'm going to get through it. Has anybody got any advice on anything I can do or take to make life a bit more bearable.I get into a sort of panicky state.

I'm also suffering from extreme insomia and think that is definately making the anxiety a lot worse.

I would appreciate any advice,its such a hard time of life is'nt it and what makes it worse I don't think its fully understood but the medical profession, so can be a very lonely time.

I'm 48 years old and think I'm in the later stages of peri-menopause.

thanks so much and keep strong.

Linda xx

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Ladies

Thanks so much for all you advice and support, it means a lot and makes you feel you are not totally alone in all this horror and one day it will all end for us.

Take care and please keep in touch

Linda xx

• Posted

Insomnia is how I started into perimenopause.   I was 45 years old and woke up at 1 a.m. one morning with my heart racing and it wouldn’t slow down.  It was very frightening.  I went to the doctor and she said I had generalized anxiety disorder.  I didn't agree. I thought it was hot flashes.  It continued frequently a few times a month. She gave me anti-anxiety medication to help me sleep. She told me I was too young at 45 to start menopause but she was at all of about 30 years old. I guess she didn't understand or read about it in her medical books.  When I would have a night of insomnia my anxiety would worsen which I think would be common because when you're tired is hard to cope with anything. I agree, Linda, I don't think the medical profession has a great understanding of what women go through during perimenopause. I think they would after all this time but I guess they don't.

What I have routinely done over the past 6 years to help prevent insomnia is my nightly routine. I will watch some television for about an hour before bed -- mindless television -- something to help me to sleep.  I don’t watch anything that I would find upsetting.  I also use lavender oil on my pillow case.  It actually does work! I was skeptical at first but I find it does help me sleep better.  Now that I'm 51, I hope that I'm getting closer to menopause and can be done with all this! I would have thought I would have been done with it by now.

The professionals say sleep hygiene good is helpful by staying off the computer before bedtime, no caffeine, etc.  Meditation is good by clearing your mind.   I also make sure my bedroom is as dark as possible and I wear a sleep mask, ear plugs and again the lavender on the pillow case.  Occasionally I’ll use a white noise machine while I’m sleeping if my neighbors are a bit loud.  It's also good to have your bedroom cool -- they say that's optimal for sleeping.  Hopefully this helps!

• Posted

Hi Jane, my Doctor said you go through the menopause between 45-55 years old which is 10 to my in peri menopause..your right they don't know much about the menopause and refuse to research into it but never mind I heard from so man people all these symptoms subsides over time and people that been through it before this time and they got through the change and feel better more energy so we will too stay positive they say Hugs 

• Posted

Dear Linda, I am 55 and in the last stage of peri since the spring, I hope. I still have periods, the last one only spotting.

However, my anxiety and panick attacks are very unconfortable. Some days I feel great, healthy and energetic, and the next day- snap- and I am a wreck, afraid of everything. Unfortunately, today is the day, I had a panick attack when going to my office, now I sit at my table and feel like dying.

I try to focus on my fingers, breath calmly and relax. Easy to say. When I feel I am better the panick wave goes over me, and I am down again.

At the same time i want to yell,scream and run away, probably to a deep forest (as if were any here).

Many hugs to you and all ladies in peri/meno.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.