Oxycodone after TKR

Posted , 23 users are following.

Just wondering where others are at with Perscription Meds after tkr. I'm three weeks out and I can't seem to take any less then six 5mg. Of Oxycodone per day. Trying to take as few pills as possible....this is new for me and with other surgerys I've had I've never needed to take six or seven pills a day. Stating to feel bad about calling in for a script. Am I just not coping well with the pain or am I still within the "standard" range...if there's such a thing. I understand everyone is different...just kinda struggling with this one.

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Gotta start weaning yourself off the opioids.  My goal was a month.  Yes, there was still pain after that but I worked through it.  The drugs are very constipating and tend to make people lazy.  Get off them as soon as possible and concentrate all your energy on PT and resting with ice.  Too much too soon and you'll get swelling that will back you up.  Slow and steady.
    • Posted

Thanks for the comment Chico....agree about weening off of them. I think it's a good idea to put a gole on it. I like four weeks as well. Will see how this week goes. Going to cut down to 3 to 4 a day and deal with it. Thankfully constipation isn't a problem with me or laziness. I'm more on the pushing it to hard side. Icing right now! Thanks again...

Brent

• Posted

I'm also a fan of "pushing it" but not with the knee.  If it starts to swell, you've done too much and have to back off...can set you back.  I was warned by many people pre-op that you can't push the knee too hard.  Slow and steady progress.  I rehab'd a total hip with six weeks of work, 5 hours a day, six days a week in a gym and therapy pool.  Can't do that with a knee.  See my thread titled "Zero Degrees!!!".  Never give up!  Never surrender!  Just take it slow.
  • Posted

There are no gold stars given for getting off meds. They are there for you if you need them. Please don't let yourself hurt because of the misconception that you are doing harm to yourself by taking them. Your body will tell you when to stop. If you aren't taking them as a crutch or just as a sleeping pill you are fine.

5 mg is the lowest dose possible of oxy.

• Posted

Didn't know 5mg was the lowest dose. Thanks for the support. Not for sleep or a crutch. As Chico just said about his hip...I had my hip replaced and didn't need the pain pills. I pushed my hip without any problems.....I'm realizing what Chico said and what you've been saying...slow and steady. My personality has a difficult time understanding that but I'm getting it. Agree with the body statement which I've seen you've said before and I'm on board with that. My body usually tells me when things are right or wrong. Jeanne only taking two Oxys is amazing too me and i know you have an issue with taking opioids so I think I can handle a little more pain this week and start cutting back. Thanks again for your reply. Hope you had a good Sunday!
    • Posted

Norco, Vicodin, Percocet, and more...all variations of hydrocodone or oxycodone plus acetamenophin. 5 + 325 up to 10 + 500...one or two every 6-8 hours as prescribed.  Got 10mg Percocets?  Snap 'em in half and add a Tylenol.  Lots of ways to titrate off the drugs when you are ready and able to.  If your stomach can handle it (gotta have food with these), ask the doc for 800mg ibuprophin...time released...one every 8 hours with food.  Good anti-inflammatory and no opioids. Keep icing.  Near the end of my meds, I only took them an hour before bed.  There's no magic here...nothing set in stone.  Listen to your body but push yourself a bit to handle the pain because you'll be dealing with pain for a while yet.
    • Posted

I’m 16 weeks P.O., am still taking 5 oxy or 5-325 Vicodin. Friends are starting to say I should be off these drugs already. Believe me I am trying but here I sit at 1:30 am wide awake and in pain, no I have not taken anything in two days

• Posted

Go to Tramadol, a mild opioid.  It's the most common transitional drug from the heavy opioids down to the OTC stuff.

• Posted

1st lesson in recovery....when friends start telling you how you should be off meds, walking properly without a cane, shouldn't need to be resting as much, know a friend of a friend who had a second cousin that was married to a guy that worked with a guy that was trading for a marathon in the 3rd week post op, you just have to learn to smile and say, That's why I have docs. Friends and family can be tremendous help if the want run errands, offer to clean and prepare meals, etc BUT, they can be done.us pains in the a** when they start telling you how you should be recovering. Just smile, say thanks, and then do what needs to be done. I've 3rd this story ad nauseam, my wife is in the advanced stages of Parkinson's. Parkinson's is a disease that affects people in so many different ways you can't believe possible. We get so much kind words of wisdom that we would both be just running in circles if we tried to follow all if it. I've gotten so tired of listening to it that I just say, thanks, I'll look into that and go on. One of her symptoms is dementia, which is t all that uncommon to Parkinson's patients but to outsiders that can't or don't understand. Allbtgw advice just confuses and upsets her so I've had to be firm with some and a couple I've had to get off to one side and just flat tell them to shut the h*** up. Stay on course. You've got enough worries without self proclaimed experts on your back.

• Posted

OFG took the words outta my mouth! Painkillers are necessary if you are in pain. I stopped Tramadolthen was forced to take again because of pain. I am at 13 weeks and find I do not need them except maybe once a week on the night when I've walked too much! Your body will likely let you know!
    • Posted

Thanks Lyn....it's a little uncomfortable talking about this because it exposes my perceived weakness...so I really appreciate all the comments and honesty. I need to feel confident with what my body is telling me and not base it on others. Understanding that everyones journey is different. So this support provides a level of "peace of mind" that I really benefit from. FYI I was taking Tramadol befory my surgery and found it to be helpful. Thanks again for the reply...
    • Posted

Hey. All the best for your continuing recovery! I had a BIG day with my sister today and I am paying for it! Have a great one! Lyn
  • Posted

I agree totaly with ofg no medals for suffering! Talk to your dr. I tried not taking enough pain meds and it meant i couldnt do physio exercises well enough. You must get it right to be able to do them! Thats the most important at your stage. It wont be for long dont beat yourself up.
    • Posted

Thanks Debbie, I appreciate the comment. Agreed regarding PT and taking the meds. Just finding that right balance. Hope you have a good morning. Take care!

Brent

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.