Oxycodone after TKR

Posted , 23 users are following.

Just wondering where others are at with Perscription Meds after tkr. I'm three weeks out and I can't seem to take any less then six 5mg. Of Oxycodone per day. Trying to take as few pills as possible....this is new for me and with other surgerys I've had I've never needed to take six or seven pills a day. Stating to feel bad about calling in for a script. Am I just not coping well with the pain or am I still within the "standard" range...if there's such a thing. I understand everyone is different...just kinda struggling with this one.

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I so agree with Oldfatguy - you are not being a hero for struggling with pain. My primary TKR was misaligned - plus an overhang - the pain was unbearable without oxycodeine. The problems weren't listened to for 4 months. I was on 2 x 5mg, 4 x per day for 6 months. If I weaned off them (which I often tried) it wasn't withdrawal because I weaned slowly, it was pure pain. My GP talked me into carrying on with them - he was so right. When they did the revision, 7 months ago, I only took them for 10 days, & then just 1 x 5mg, 4 x per day. After that it's just been 2 x paracetamol plus maybe a codeine if I have overdone it with movement etc. Go with your body, not what other people say!!
  • Posted

You are not being weak!!!!    Three weeks was a pivotal time for me, I'd cried in pain and frustration every day until that time.  Magically at 4 weeks things got a LOT better, and I'm 10 weeks today and sometimes, when setting off to walk, especially in the house, I forget which knee is sore, cos it isn't!!!   If it hurts it hurts, and for goodness sake take what is available pain control wise.  I had a hip replacement 8 years ago and the difference between the two pain wise is immeasurable.  You are coping very well, 3 weeks is very very early in your recovery.   Good luck 🙂
  • Posted

I am firmly of the belief that pain medication is essential to a good ROM result...unless you are enjoying the oxycodone I cannot believe it is something you need to think about ' giving up' 5mg is the minimum dosage. anyway. Having said that three weeks is a long while....have you tired other pain relief, ie cocodamol with ibuprophen? Is possible that you are pushing too hard with the exercises, do you see physiotherapist regularly, if not then there are some excellent videos on YouTube for TKR post op exercises which will give you a solid idea of what you might expect to be able to do.  Pain is a relative thing for each person and only you can decide what is best for you visa vie the balance, maybe a chat with your Dr/GP would help you decide but remember all this will pass and you will be the better for it. Good luck 
  • Posted

Hi you need your pain meds to get through the day, do your physio, and sleep. I was on Oxycodone before operation and post op but my gp wanted me off them as soon as I could get weaned off. I was on 20mg 3 times a day pre surgery plus oxynorm for breakthrough pain and two other pain meds. I was off the oxycodone 3 and 1/2 weeks post op but was taking 2 x 30/500 mg cocodamol 4 times a day and 2-3 400mg ibuprofen​ instead whic I have gradually cut down.If you would like of the oxy meds discuss with dr an alternative. My Dr is great to talk to and so helpful, I would have been totally lost without her. As you say everyone is different,  and needs are different, we all come off meds at different times. Take your time and listen to your body. We will all get there, best wishes xx
  • Posted

Hi

depending whether you were private or NHS you should have been prescribed an opiod based drung for for paid control called TRAMADOL which you GP will prescibe for you 

this is a slow relase drug that work as good and if not better that  Morphine !!

I had TNR 30-11-2016 - one of the best things I've ever done 

My surgeon, Neil Bradley used the cutting block technique as I paid privately

which is so prescise costing £12,800 at the Nuffield Guildford

just could not wait for the NHS waiting list but the technique used on this service is tghe very crude "by Eye" method which is not so clever if the surgeon has had a few sherberts the night before !!

as the old saying - you get what you pay for !!

I made a full recovery after 12 weeks and am now walking the dog and riding a bike and most of all have MY LIFE BACK !!

best wishes and good luck with your recovery

Jude UK

ps do not take any notice of all the negativity expessed on this site

you get peaople who moan all the time about everything !!

and in this caes is very trye

all the best with your recovery which should be 3 months to get you back to where you were before op and knee problems

Jude UK

• Posted

Jude48, think bpaschke47  is in America!  Maybe Tramadol goes by another name there.  

And when was your op?  This November coming??? 

• Posted

Hi Lucy

yes you are probably right but this person only has to do a google search and it will all come up-

my op was in the Nuffield Guildford Surrey last November

best wishes

Jude UK

• Posted

Hiya, I've noticed how drug names don't cross boarderslol I think oxycodone and tramadol are the same thing.....
    • Posted

Hi I'm in UK and had oxycodone and oxynorm pre op and post op, really strong but totally helped. The oxynorm is one for break through pain and I found pre op made me very sleepy. The two drugs are used for treating pain but I was given oxycodone as previously Tramadol made me very sick.
    • Posted

Thanks Sue, Jude and everyone for the input. I am an American and did take Tramadol 100mg. Three times a day before surgery and now take Oxycodone 5mg 6 times a day post surgery. I just talked with my PA and I'm switching to Vicodin after my last refilling of Oxycodone. After 3 plus weeks now and starting to see real results i have to say I feel very positive. I'm going to cut down on my daily routine of Oxycodone and look forward to continual improvement with my tkr. Thanks again for contributing to my question and providing such helpful advise. Take care and wish your recovery well.

Brent

• Posted

Hi Brent, I am glad you got orted out and hope Vicodin works as well for you as the Oxycodone. I'm glad you are starting to see an improvement and hope it continues. I love the positivity you re showing. Keep it up and best wishes for your continuing recovery, Sue
    • Posted

Not the same thing. I am in U.S. took Oxycodone the first month and then back to Tramadol which I took pre-surgery. It is opioid based but not as strong and can be taken for longer periods of time.
    • Posted

PS: My doctor gave me a tip, take 1 Tylenol and 1 Tramadol for better pain control. It works! Tramadol is much easier to get from your doctor then Oxycodone. It is not nearly as addictive and is a good pain relief pill for Physical Therapy. Often when taking Oxycodone I would get dizzy and flushed if I was doing PT. Everyone is different but Tramadol is a good pain med once you get off the Oxycodone. I only used it when necessary though. Joint replacement is a journey with many ups and downs. I still over do it sometimes.
    • Posted

Correct...  Tramadol (Ultram), while still classified as an opioid, is way less powerful than oxy or hydro, hence the doc's ability to prescribe it more freely.  It is the most common "transitional" drug between the heavy duty painkillers and OTC NSAIDs and Tylenol. Yes, you can still get dependent on it, so keep the word "transitional" in mind so you can get off it when you're done needing anything in the opioid family.  It is NOT meant to be a long-term drug.  Also, Tramadol combined with acetaminophen (Tylenol) in one pill is called Ultracet.

• Posted

Hi, so glad you ask this question as I've been concerned about taking my narcotic (hydrocodon). I have tried to just take Tylenol during the day but for me to do the exercises I need to do I have to take the narcotic. So afraid of becoming addicted and frankly I don't think my doctor is going to give me anymore than my 10 day supply that I have left.  I really didn't even think this surgery and healing would be so painful.  I hope you get some good help on this forum. I am so impressed with all of the sharing and help on here. Wonderful people on here.
    • Posted

My 1st 6weeks after my last 2 surgeries. (removal of prosthesis for 4 months while I got a staph cleaned up and then replacement of the prosthesis) my surgeon ordered 5 mg oxycodone and then gave me the option of using up to 25 mg per dose. I wold vary between 10 and 20 mg. I am a year out and still am prescribed 10 mg to use as a breakthrough and15 mg MS contain to use every 12 hr. Of course I've had 11 surgeries and 5 complete rehabs plus 30 rounds Of radiation which burned my knee badly. As you can see, everyone is different in So many different ways. I'm not the least concerned about addition and as a matter of fact, my surgeon says I may be on some form of serious pain meds The rest of my life. I take them when I need them and don't when I don't need them. Pain is one if might be most disruptive outside influences in the normal flow of life. Prrsonally, all of the current conversation about addition is over blown. No doubt, bad for those that are affected but it's proven that is such a microcosim of the entire population and its scaring people in need.
    • Posted

Thanks Betty for your comments. You know at first I too was afraid of getting hooked. But after all the information I've read and really looked at how,when and why I'm taking the pills I have no worries about this anymore. The pills have helped me immensely with my PT and just general state of mind as I go through recovery. I too didn't think my Doctor was going to scripted me over again. In all he's scripted me every time I've asked for a script. So three weeks in recovery I've had three 50qty scripts. This fourth week I'm reducing my daily pills by 3. So far so good. I agree with you there are a lot of wonderful people on this site. So take care and don't worry about addiction....the pills are essential for recovery. Thanks again!

Brent

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.