P1NP levels

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone, Iv'e had a P1NP test to calculate the response of the fosamax for the bone density, my G.P ran to say that the fosamax is working wonderfully and my body is very good at absorbing it, my P1NP levels are at 20 ug/L. i had to google all this, i had no idea what any of it meant. She want's me on it for another 5 years

The thing is that i havn't taken the fosamax

is that strange? anyone had a similar experiance?

Hope you are all good

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm sure there's a reason for this but you have given me such a chuckle - thanks! Fosamax is another name for Alendronic acid, a bisphosphonate. We are offered it when on steroids to maintain bone density.

• Posted

Thanks Celia, yes it is for maintaining bone density, mine have done OK without it.

• Posted

"However, bone turnover markers (BTMs) still have limited clinical utility. It is not routinely recommended to use BTMs to select those at risk of fractures, but baseline measurements of resorption markers are useful before commencement of anti-resorptive treatment and can be checked 3–6 months later to monitor response and adherence to treatment. "

Hahahahahaha!!!!! And I'm darn sure I wouldn't be taking alendronic acid/Fosamax for another 5 years. Don't they read anything? Have you admitted you have been totally non-compliant?

I wondered if maybe she'd got it the wrong way round - but no, your result of 20 mcg/L is right at the bottom of the range. So does that show that the pred ISN'T causing increased bone turnover and BD loss and you are fine to continue NOT taking the AA?

I wonder what the NOS (National Osteoporosis Society) would say. A bit more reading (and really only a bit so not that definitive) seems to suggest there is still a lot of dispute about the value of these tests because of variability.

• Posted

Wfewww.....all that wonderful (I think😟) information went COMPLETELY over my head!

I'm quite sure it was an honest attempt to explain if/why fosamax may be in order for margot, but alas, I know, no more now than I did prior to reading the aforementioned post!

I've been told I have compression fractures on my spine, (is this why my back aches all the time...why I can't stand in one place for more than appx 20-30sec??), and I too have been advised I need fosamax injections!....can't take the oral due to my acid reflux!

Anyway folks, why I MUCH appreciate all the info i can get, if you could please break things down in mear layman's terms, I, for one, would be greatly appreciative!....thanks in advance!😘

• Posted

Btw....I've got osteopenia, and I DO know what that means!

• Posted

It was a discussion of why Fosamax probably ISN'T required. If the bone density was being reduced by the pred the P1NP level would have been much higher and possibly much lower if she had been taking the Fosamax. There is a limit to how layman-ish I can make things.

Fosamax doesn't come as injections. Fosamax is a brand name - it will be a similar medication but with a different name and as an injection.

Yes, if you have compression fractures then that is why you spine is painful and you probably do need some sort of medication to reduce the risk of having more.

• Posted

thanks Eileen. that was much more "laymanish"...user friendly,.if you will..πŸ˜‰.

I can't remember what name I was given for an.injection....only that fosamax was mentioned and that wouldn't be a good fit (orally) as.it tends to cause acid reflux and I've already got that in "spades"!

anyway, thanks again for clearing that up for me.....

• Posted

Eileen I love your comments they are very informed.

Yes I did tell her i hadn't taken it and the response was silence for a while on the phone then she said I want you to make an appt right away to discuss this, I declened to make an appt.

it was your knowledge that i had read reguarding the fosamax that was the reason for my decision for not taking it, I am so very glad I didn't.

Thanks

• Posted

I also have a compression fracture on lower spine and it is painful to stand in certain positions for long. My MD isn't doing anything about it, what can be done? Along with my healed fracture pelvis, I do have pain espec. when I'm getting up from a sitting position. As the years go by, nothing is going to be perfect!!! Lots of little aches and pains!

By the way, my dexa was the same after taking pred as before. MY MD doesn't believe in pushing a lot of meds and leaves much up to me.

• Posted

hi elijo...you're certainly right about the years goin by....and I'm about to "chalk" one more up on November 6th....turning 68!##!!!😜

i know, i know....better than the alternative!....but still!

so have you any advice on how you handle your back situation? I know I plan my Whole Life around trying to avoid lines (banks, groceries, etc)....if there's a line, errands just don't get done....PERIOD!

but that puts alot of limitations on my already chaotic life!

would be interested in hearing from you!

• Posted

My compression fx doesn't seem to be as consistent as yours, but when I'm at the kitchen counter and it starts paining, I just bring over a stool and sit on it. My pelvic fxs hurt most after sitting and I feel slightly temporarily crippled for a few moments when getting up to walk, then it goes away.

Happy Birthday (early) to you, celebrate when it comes! 68 is young to me, in Sept. I turned 91, but no one believes it, I look like I'm in early 70's and still have a sharp mind (good genes & life style). However my accident in June has slowed me down considerably.

I'm wondering if a cane would help you. something to lean on. I have one left over from my rehab and use it occassionaly when I'm out shopping, etc.

• Posted

91??? you could've fooled me!! I'll second your mind being sharp as a tack...so lucky are you!

yeah, the leaning on a cane just doesn't. "cut it"! I've also tried leaning on a shopping cart while grocery shopping😩....I've now become one of those folks who "jets" around on an electrical cart while getting groceries....along with some merciless kidding from my 2 daughters!😣😁.

just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!

• Posted

Thanks for this. You have brightened my day! Have you told her you are not taking it?

• Posted

yes I did tell her, her response was silence for a while, then she wanted me in right away to discuss it. I said no.

Hope you are doing well kate

• Posted

Interesting programme on placebos UK TV BBC2 a week or so ago. Might still be available on iPlayer.

• Posted

Don't think placebos will change biochemical parameters though!!!! If only...

• Posted

Might change some medics' naive faith in some of the stuff they want us to take, though.

• Posted

Hi betty, i don't have an iplayer, sounds very interesting though

• Posted

You don't need anything to see iPlayer. Just log on to BBC iPlayer and put Placebos in the search box. I'm in UK but I should think it's available abroad.

• Posted

No -I don't think iPlayer is available abroad. I've never been able to access it. We are able to watch UK terrestrial live using a site called FilmOn which used to be free but now requires a subscription. If we can't watch live then we have up to 11 hours recording time included - but you can't exceed that. It is different if you are in the footprint for FreeSat but it doesn't go that far really.

• Posted

I could not get iPlayer as BT for some unknown reason had me set as living in Southern Ireland. It has now been sorted out thank goodness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.