P1NP levels

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone, Iv'e had a P1NP test to calculate the response of the fosamax for the bone density, my G.P ran to say that the fosamax is working wonderfully and my body is very good at absorbing it, my P1NP levels are at 20 ug/L. i had to google all this, i had no idea what any of it meant. She want's me on it for another 5 years

The thing is that i havn't taken the fosamax

is that strange? anyone had a similar experiance?

Hope you are all good

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Margot, I love it. I wonder what your GP would say if they knew!!!

• Posted

That is priceless!!

I refused Fosamax years ago when i developed osteopenia and got my Gyn at the time to write me an Rx for the gym instead. 15 years later and i learn that bonebuilders increase the possibility of spiral fractures -- which are exactly as horrible as they sound. You can bet I'm saving this thread since my rheumy is now pushing bonebuilders again (due to the prednisone) when shes not pushing MTX.

Thx immeasurably for this!

• Posted

It is Prolia that results in spinal fractures when you stop using it - so you have to keep using it or start taking bisphosphonates to be able to come off the Prolia, which since the usual reason for being on Prolia is because of the gastric effects of bisphosphonates seems a bit silly. The bisphosphonates create cracked bone tissue - which can result in atypical femoral fractures. And since the primary reason for taking bisphosphonates is to reduce the risk of fractures of the neck of the femur also seems a bit silly...

The FIRST thing is a baseline bone density scan (dexascan) and then follow-up to see if pred is affecting bone density. It doesn't always - by any means. If you have normal range bone density (-1,6 plus or minus a bit) there is no benefit in taking the bone medication. Not until you are approaching osteoporosis - t-score below -2.5.

• Posted

Hi ptolemy, they do know, the reaction was silence for a while then asking me to come in to discuss which I declined. I don't want to pay $38 for a G.P visit that I don't need right now, but will discuss next time I have an appointment

• Posted

Good of you to be honest, I am not sure if I would have been. I suppose it depends how good or bad I thought my doctor was perhaps.

• Posted

hello.. i was told this week i am in the very early stages of osteoporsis after a bone scan. I am 65. The lady didn't think it was caused by prednisone since I have only been on it since April (never higher than 15 mg, now at 6) My doctor wants me to take Fosomax also because I am on prednisone. I don't like the idea of fosomax actually causing your bones to become brittle after 4-5 years. I will be certain to take needed calcium, vit D, k2 and minerals.Have any of you taken Fosomax or something similar longterm to help build bones?

• Posted

The recommendations are to take it for 2 or 3 years and then take a holiday - it is longer use that brings the worst problems. There are people who have taken it without any problems - and when it is required even I don't have a problem with it being used. But it shouldn't be used for people with normal bone density levels as a preventative - it should be kept for when it is needed. I didn't need it - my bone density was fine and has remained so despite never taking anything more than calcium and vit D supplements.

• Posted

No Maggie, not yet...but my doc wants ME to do the same thing (only for osteopenia).

after getting the results from my bone scan, I was told I had several compression fractures in my spine and was in danger of a hip fracture in the not-too-distant future!

I'm 67....if you'd told me of all these medical issues I'd be having at 66..

.I'd have laughed in your face!😱😁

• Posted

Apparently the greatest effects on the bones occur within the first few months of taking pred. I didn't have a timely scan either, about the same lag time as yours, perhaps a little longer, and was diagnosed with low bone mass (aka osteopenia). I didn't take any drugs but have increased my bone density out of the range where meds are recommended solely through diet, supplements and appropriate exercise. I also was able to reduce my pred dose to about 5 mg within a year, so I'm sure that has been helpful too. Google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey to read an account of what I did.

• Posted

Thanks to all for your input. I may take the fosomax for a year until next bone scan while i try and get my exercise program going again.

The PMR has made me more fatigued and less likely to go to the gym after work, but I am determined to change that now that I am a little stronger at 6 mg. My diet is good. i will be researching all ways to do this without additional meds.

Could taking FOSOMAX one year cause any harm if i never go back to it?i would quit only if by then i am exercising 3x weekly weight bearing, and my scans are good with next scan in one year. MY goal...

• Posted

Hi, I also had the early stages osteoporosis after the scan, that's when I was pescribed the Fosomax, but Eileen on here had posted an article about it and I decided not to take it.

I am very pleased I didn't

I have about half a cup of non sweetened yoghurt most evenongs with a teaspoon of powdered Vit C in it and also vitamin D pescribed by the G.P

Apart from that I do about 3k walk as often as I can usually around three times a week

I guess this must have helped

• Posted

Depends on your dentist's view of it! It remains in the body - proven and declared to do so for over 10 years and that figure will increase as time goes on since they started using it widely. Some dentists are very wary of treating patients who have been on bisphosphonates even if they have stopped. So before taking it, make sure that any potential major work has been done.

If your dexascan results are good then you shouldn't be taking it - it should not be used as a preventative, whatever some doctors will try to tell you.

• Posted

MY SCAN RESULTS DO SHOW EARLY OSTEOPORORSIS JUST THIS WEEK.

HOWEVER NOW I AM CONSIDERING DOING EVERYTHING I CAN TO INCREASE BONE DENSITY WITHOUT MEDS.

IF RESULTS NEXT TIME ARE NOT IMPROVED, I WILL DO FOSOMAX... thanks to all...

• Posted

What are the t-scores? "Early osteoporosis" is meaningless - any level of osteopenia might be represented as "early osteoporosis" by many doctors who want to scare the patient into taking medication - when in fact they are NOT anywhere near that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.