PAE - 5/6 years and over after PAE

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello folks,

you have no idea how your contribution hear has been inspiring and exciting. l am planning to go for PAE and would like to briefly here from folks who have done this PAE for well over 5 years and how it's working out for them after all these years. The main PAE thread had become so long wading through to get this information is very tedious.

thanks to all.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Martass,

I had mine done in April this year and had my follow up appointment with IR yesterday. When the Doc reached out to shake my hand, I instead embraced him with a HUGE HUG! I proceeded to express my gratitude for changing my life!

Not 5 years in, only 3 months in, if my symptoms came back to PRE-PAE I would be very disappointed , but I would still be grateful for the past 3 months. I have gotten a chance to feel NORMAL again! 3 months of normal VS 5 years of agony.

I asked about long term, which he referred to as durability. He said he has had good results but could not guarantee anything. He told me my outlook for the future looks good.

I am a young 54 and very fit with an active lifestyle, this procedure appears to have been tailor made for me!

Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi Bobcats,

I'm really happy for you it's working well at this point.

Hope it continues like that.

Did you ask the doctor what some of the causes of failures are ?

For something to begin working so well and start failing down the road. Five years duration wouldn't have been that baf

• Posted

Can you say where it was done and the doctor, or is that against the terms of service for the board?

• Posted

The way I understand it is that your body is trying to repair itself. The procedure artificially cuts off blood supply to prostate and your body is trying its best to restore it.Sometimes your body wins the battle.

My DR told me that he had to re-do his very first patient from 2012 in 2017, he says the 2017 results are still good.

I enrolled in his 3 year study to specifically look at durability. I have agreed to another CT scan in April 2020 to compare prostate at 1 year mark.

• Posted

Yes, there are many interconnections in the blood supply at various small sizes. So the prostrate still gets some blood supply from arteries that primarily provide blood to nearby organs and tissues. I can imagine that in some individuals, these supplies are going to develop and increase flow over time. I can also imagine that it can be a little tricky to map some of that flow. They did an MRA in advance to look at the vasculature but when they get the micro catheter in place they can release a contrast agent and see where blood goes from there. This is one of the ways they avoid non target embolization.

• Posted

I'd also like to hear reports from individuals who had PAE years ago, but I suspect they would only still be on this forum if it wasn't working so well. I had mine two weeks ago and my life is already better than it's been for the past year. I stopped taking Tamsulosin already and am very happy. Hoping for continued improvement over the coming weeks. -Dale

• Posted

good to hear dale, i hope it works all the way out.

At this point it looks to me that pae is being established as a good procedure for prostate enlargement. the issue mow is it's durability .

• Posted

Hi Martass,

Did you decide to go ahead with PAE? Who is doc?

• Posted

Today was my 3 week mark. I'm feeling great so far.

• Posted

My PAE procedure was done in May this year.

I was terrified when I could not pee a drop for 2 weeks and had to rely on CIC. After that, I was suddenly able to pee with a strong flow that has persisted. Could not be happier with the results.

The PAE is not permanent (neither is the TURP) as the prostate continues to grow and blood vessels compensate for the embolization. I am prepared to undergo the procedure again.

• Posted

Has anybody had any new info on the Gat/Goren procedure? Does anyone in the USA do this yet? I've read that it is about the best thing out there as it shuts off the supply of testosterone rich blood flowing back into the prostate which causes the BPH in the first place.

• Posted

Nothing as far as "Good News", like it is available or....

• Posted

I had my PAE done in North Carolina.

before the procedure my urine flow was pretty good using Flomax but 6 days after i had my PAE I had zero urine flow and had to get a catheter and the doctor did not know what to do

• Posted

I had my PA E down in North Carolina and before the procedure I had pretty good flow using Flomax but after the procedure after six days I had no urine flow and had to get a catheter and the doctor did not know what to do

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.