PAE Day+2....... need your help

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello everyone,

PAE done 2 days ago. (with the most experienced team in FRANCE)

95g prostate weight

psa went from 9 (pre procedure) jumped to 180 (post procedure) 1 day after the procedure.

pain on prostatic zone 8/10

pain low bladders 5/10

miction become very difficult (worst than bofore the procedure.

did you experiment these symptoms please?

mostly commun symptoms?

i am very worry and your comments would be extremly helpful

great thanks in advance.

have a good day

Vincent

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Vincent

I hope all goes well for you. Your say your PSA went from 9 to 180????

I do know that the PAE does take a lime to see improvement and after you will have get some swelling in the prostate. But I think that is to high. You may have a infection.

I would get a hold of the doctor and tell them what is going on. That is why you may have the pain

Good luck.....Ken

• Posted

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your quick reply!!!

Per the doctors, the PSA , just one day after the procedure, could be multiply by 10 or 20.

But I did not expect so much pain etc... after a PAE.

Just wondering if you had the same symptoms the day after the PAE.

thanks again!!!

Vincent

• Posted

HI Vincent

my PAE was done 18 months ago

it only took effect after about 6 months

my bladder volume is only 250 ml .. not sure why ... maybe dis placement of prostate.

Volume of prostate was 120 ml , now it is 86 ml.

I am glad I had it done as I only get up once per night ti go and urinate.

My sex life is also normal as can be expected for a 65 year old...I am widowed and am single ...but have it once a week with some or other on line prostitute

• Posted

Vincent,

Whenever anything is done that disturbs the prostate the PSA will go up, although 180 is high. You should check it again in a month or two.

If you has PSA of 9 before the procedure, you should have been concerned about the possibility of cancer and had that checked before doing a PAE procedure. Although a prostate size of 95g is getting large and would account for some or maybe all of the PSA of 9. Other things can raise the PSA also, like sex, bicycle riding, DRE (Digital Rectal Exam). You should allow at least 3 days, after any of those things, before checking PSA. A UTI (Urinary Track Infection) can also raise PSA.

The fact that your experiencing pain in the prostate area may show that the PAE was successful in targeting the prostate arteries. You may need pain drugs for a few days. Give it a week to calm down.

Thomas

• Posted

Thanks Thomas for your reply.

Indeed the doctors told if the PSA is very high, it´s a good news, this means that they reached the right arteries.

regarding the cancer, we eliminate this possibility by the RMI before PAE.

the weight of the prostate is in concordance with the PSA at 9 before the PAE.

I will continue the antalgics and cortison hoping that very soon the inflammation will disappear.

just wondering if my symptoms are common.

Thanks again

• Posted

Vincent,

You mention pain in the low bladder, if I understand correctly. One of the dangers of PAE is non target embolization. The bladder is close to the prostate and can sustain non target embolization. I read one case of a bladder ischema by Dr Pisco around 2013. He stated it as a minor complication, and he repaired it. Sometimes a non target embolization will repair itself if it is not too bad. I have heard of cases of ischema in the colon, because of the nearness. Those cases healed on their own.

I don't want to alarm you, but if pain in the bladder area continues it may be something to discuss with the PAE doctor. If there is an ischema in the bladder a cystoscope might be able to see it. If the pain goes away in a few days you can probably forget about it.

Thomas

• Posted

Hi Thomas,

My pain on bladders is much much better.

but strong difficulties for the miction!!! it´s certainly because of the prostate inflmatation i suspect.

thanks again Thomas !!!

• Posted

Vincent - I went through this two 6 weeks ago. It was pretty painful for the first 2.5 days, things started calming down after 3 days. The Dr. warned me it could be as long as a week of burning/frequent urination. He didn't warn me that I'd have burning pain in the perineum. I hope it goes away for you soon, it was no fun. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks so much BlackForesrTerp!!!

This reassure that the symptoms are "normal".

kindest regards,

vincent

• Posted

Ask your doc if they can give you a course of steroids - it might be too late for that.

Take extra doses of Ibuprofin for the pain and to reduce inflammation, and there are medications for bladder spasms if you have (I think you do because you mentioned low bladders) plus antibiotics for possible UTIs

I don't know why you had your PSA tested one or two days after the procedure it makes no sense.

Pain is normal, it will reduce gradually - the thing to worry about is if you can't pee, don't try too hard and strain it may damage the bladder. Get a catheter in for a week or so or learn how to self catheter it will make it much easier, and don't worry I self cathetered after PAE it doesn't hurt more than it did before .

bon chance ne t'inquiete pas trop

• Posted

Thank you Mike!!!!!

will call my doctor tomorrow in order to increase the ibuprofin .

I think they asked me the PsA a day after the procedure because the result would give me the sign of success of the PEA -(if the value is extremly high (2 to 3 times the initial PSA before the PEA ==--> they reached the right arteries.

i will asked them to confirm.

thanks again and kindest regards,

Vincent

• Posted

Were you not given a one week course of pain killers and anti-inflammatories by your doctor? I was given 7 days of prednisone and 7 days of oxycodone (5mg) for pain. Your symptoms are common which means that the PAE is working nicely but you should have these drugs to help you in the first week. Your PSA values are not valid for a good month after the procedure because your prostate has been disturbed a lot so please do not worry about that now. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Howard3,

Thanks for your reply.

Indeed I have those drugs but I did not take the OXICODONNE because the notice inside of this drug mentions to not take it if you suffer of hypertrophy of prostate !!!!

i take just paracetamol (3g/d) and one PREDNISONE per day.

Indeed I will wait a few days and hopefully the pain will disappear and will see some result from PAE.

Thanks again

kindest regards

• Posted

VINCENT, 2 days is very soon after the procedure. ALL YOUR numbers will be high everything is swollen. you have to give it time. 2 months at least. SOME GUYS DONT GET RESULTS UNTIL 4 to 6 months. hang in there. you'll be fine!

• Posted

ok , Thank you TGT111 for your reply!!!

will wait and see 😉

kindest regards

• Posted

Tg & Vincent

That is very true. PAE will work but it will take time. Just try to relax

Have a great day....Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.