PAE for BPH

Posted , 15 users are following.

How long is PAE effective?

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello  I just read 1 of the study's that they did on 500 men.  After 3 month's there was 87% inprovement After 18 month's 80% and after 3 years 72%.     It is still a new procefure.  But your stopping the blood to the prostate to stop it from growing.  I guess time will tell..  But in the study it said you have to talk to your GP Your urologist and find a good radiologist that know what he is doing.  It takes about 2 hours or less.  Some time they have trouble finding the arterys to the prostate with the needles.  Look it up on the internet.  The one I printed up has 6 sheets.  Take care and good luck  Ken. 
    • Posted

Thanks, Ken. Interesting data. Is this the study done by Dr. Pisco in Portugal?
    • Posted

Right now I don't remember but that name I did see in one of the studys I read.  Hope it helps.....Take care  Ken
  • Posted

As stated by others, it is a new procedure, and no one knows.

That said, it is a relatively non invasive and easy procedure to undergo, with no negative side effects and minor recovery, if done by an interventional radiologist who knows what they are doing . A patient can undergo it again, or undergo something else if the blood vessels regrow. It seems like a no brainer to me, unless someone else has something else more informative to contribute with a different point of view.

Neal

• Posted

Do you know how I can get a directory of radiologists in the U.S. who have expertise in PAE?
    • Posted

Neal, I believe the innovator of PAE is Dr. Pisco, a Portuguese radiologist. He's been doing it since about 2011, so he should have data on medium-term effects. He's performed nearly 900 operations. Below is a link to a blog he's been keeping. There isn't a whole lot of substantive info about the procedure, but it does include the names of US doctors (including several from Mayo) who have been trained.

Don

http://martinspisco.hslouis.pt/en/prostate/historic-marks/

• Posted

I have been researching this procedure for some time (and plan to have it done in the near future) and it appears to be as effective at relieving BPH issues as TURP or anything else, but without as many side effects.

The lead research doctor of the most recent study is:

Dr. Sandeep Bagla, an interventional radiologist at Inova Alexandria Hospital in Virginia. There is currently a clinical trial of PAE being offered at a number of locations around the country - look up Clinical Trial Prostate Artery Embolization and you might find one in your area. As this is a relatively new procedure it's not easy to find a doctor who is performing this. Find the Medscape article on the internet and keep researching. 

Note that Dr. Bagla, and others who perform this operation, is not a urologist, but an interventional radiologist, so it may be more difficult to locate a doctor if you look under urology. The IR doctors go into the prostate through the femoral artery with a tiny catheter then place tiny particles into the prostate that block the blood flow, and that kills prostate tissue, so there is no cutting involved. Hope this info helps. 

• Posted

Thanks for the clear and concise summary. I have also been researching PAE for some time. Last March I met with Dr. Bagla at Inova and was quite impressed. I also met with Dr. Schatz, a urologist at Johns Hopkins who is involved in the clinical trial of PAE there.  Hopkins was still in the recruiting phase at that time, and Dr. Schatz had no data to share. There's also a clinical trail at Georgetown, with a longer history, but I didn't have a chance to meet with the interventional radiologist who's running the trial. I did meet with a uro at Georgetown, but he didn't seem to know much about the trial, which I found a little strange. In fact, I'm baffled by the lack of attention to PAE, given its apparent success and the numbers of men affected by BPH. I've done a ittle bit of journalism in the past and have sent the editors of the Wash Post heath section a suggestion that they do a story on PAE. 
    • Posted

Don, 

You have certainly been doing your homework. And, you are absolutely right - there has been an lack of press coverage and information about PAE given all of the positive results reported so far. 

There also appears to be some confusion about who is doing this procedure since we normally associate prostate issues with urologists and not intervention radiologists. Recently I spoke with three urologists and my primary physician about PAE and it didn't appear as if they knew anything about it, so I was unable to get a referral to a doctor who did the procedure in my area. 

Tom

• Posted

There is a trial being done at UNC by Dr. Ari Isaacson. He is very easy to work with, and will call you and answer all your questions if you email him.

Neal

• Posted

I don't know where your at but maybe this will help you  I found a Doctor  Jafar Golzarian M.D.  He is  Chief of Interventional Radiology through the University of Minnesota.  Also here is a number that maybe you can get some information from them who does it in your area. I have a number for Pittsburgh but hit the wrong button.  I will get it and send it do you.  Ken
    • Posted

Here the number maybe they can help you 412-578-7412  Ken
    • Posted

Tom, I don't know why there isn't more coordination between the urologists and radiologists. Turf issue, maybe? At Hopkins, there's a built-in coordination to the trial. While the procedure is being done by a radiologist, the lead researcher (Dr. Schatz) is a urologist who specializes in BPH. I was extremely impressed with him, by the way--he's bright, personable, and has a great sense of humor. I plan to meet with him when I return to the States (from Macedonia) next spring to see if he has any preliminary data to share. I may even join the trial, if it's still open. You probably know this already, but one of the benefits of participating in a trial is the follow-up, especially in the event of any urtological issues. Dr. Bagla seems very competent, but I've heard that follow-up can be a bit of an issue. 
    • Posted

Don,

Based on my research over the years, all treatments for BPH are generally effective to one degree or another, and all have some side effects. So, the goal is to have the most effective treatment with the fewest side effects, understanding that nothing is going to be 100%. PAE appears to be equally as effective as any of the other treatments with the fewest side effects and shortest down time, so at this point it's a "no brainer" to me. The next in line appears to be the plasma-button TURP. You can actually watch the "button TURP" procedure on YouTube. 

About 9 years ago I had a coronary stent implanted through the left femoral artery, and there was only minor downtime after. So, I am not at all concerned about the PAE procedure. 

In 2012 I had a positive biopsy for low risk prostate cancer and went on active surveillance for a year and a half. During that time I was able to meet with several doctors who performed different treatments for the cancer. After a second biopsy I knew I had to have treatment and thanks to the research and doctor meetings knew exactly what I would do. Sounds to me like you are doing the same thing concerning your BPH. 

My best,

Tom

• Posted

Kenneth,

Thanks for the number. I have now found two doctors in my area who perform this procedure.

Tom

• Posted

I'm glad Just get all the information and ask alot of question you can and pick the right procedure for you.  I think my Doctor is great.  I had a urolift in april do good..Take care  Ken
    • Posted

Kenneth, may I ask why you decided to have the Urolift rather than the PAE procedure? And I take it you are pleased with the results?

Don

• Posted

Thanks, Tom. I agree that PAE seems the way to go. Sounds like you're moving forward with the procedure. Best of luck!

Don

• Posted

Never heard of PAE.  My doctor told me about the Uro-lift.  We tryed many pills and some worked ok and some didn't and the side effects I did not like and I had many.  I also have a stricture jus before the PC muscle. My prostate was closing the utethra off.  I had 4 implates.  It has bee good.  The first week was the worst.  I had a catheter at my request.  I have trouble peeing on demand and was worried I could not pee after the procedure.  I have heard many men that have had it done end up in the hospital within 4 to 10 hour after because they can't pee.  It saved time and money and pain to have it done while your out.  He took it out 2 days later and was peeing great.  It was the best for me  I trust my doctor.  There are a few men on here that I have talked to that had the PAE that it did not work for them.  1 guy it cost him $10.000.  He had a urolift 2 most later and that work much better.  Take care  Ken  
    • Posted

Don I forgot to say.  When he told me about it I did look it up and felt it was the best for me.  Less down time and no side effect.  My doctor has been doing it for 3 years and had good results. A lot of the doctor only like doing the turp and only tell you about it not anything new.   Ken 
    • Posted

Ken, thanks for the info on Urolift. Glad to hear it worked for you. Best regards, Don
    • Posted

Because some men on these posts are either satisfied or disatisfied with a procedure that they had does not mean that it is the same for anyone else. All individuals are different. In some areas you can check out the background of doctors before you go to them by logging on to "Physician Profiles."
    • Posted

Don,

My IR doctor, after consulting with a number of other doctors and urologists will not perform the PAE on me because I have had prior radiation treatment for prostate cancer. They all agreed that cutting off the blood supply to a prostate artery after radiation might have potential negative issues. This has never been discussed before on Patient so I am passing this on to anyone considering this treatment. I certainly wanted to have the PAE and was willing to move forward despite the risks.

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.