PAE for BPH

Posted , 15 users are following.

How long is PAE effective?

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello every body.

I am searching for a Dr and Hosptial for this PAE procedure. Somebody has referred name of Dr Pisco Lisbon. Other talk about Dr Bagla Virginia. Could some one kindly recommend and comment on the standing and results of these drs or any other whose results and experience is of good repute 

Regards

• Posted

I'm getting a little PAE from Dr. ISAACSON next week at UNC. I'll report on it as I'm able.

Neal

• Posted

Omit "little ". I think that was a contribution from my spell checker.

Neal

• Posted

ThankQ Neal

I wish you gud luck and health.  Waiting to hear from you soon.

best regards

• Posted

Neal  I wish you well and good luck.  I know a few guys that had it done and it did not work on them.  I will put you in my prayers....Ken
    • Posted

Hi,

I had the PAE procedure last week.

Now i do not have the urgency, urge, frequency to rush to the nearest toilet/bathroom. A huge relief, emotionally, psychlogically and physically.

The waterworks as in the flow is a only marginally better but the Urologist and Interventional Radooligist think it will get better in thwe next 3 to 6 months.

Heres hoping they are right and the effect will be permanent.

• Posted

I met with Dr. Bagla a few months ago and was impressed with him. He's been rated by Northern Virginia Magazine as one of the best radiologists in the area. I'm probably going to have the procedure done with him in a couple of months when I return to the States. 
    • Posted

Good luck, Neal. Sending you positive thoughts. Look forward to getting your report. --Don
  • Posted

We're on our way to Chapel Hill. Thursday is the big day. Thanks for the good wishes.

Neal

• Posted

I FINALLY DID IT! I had my PAE done yesterday by Dr. Isaacson and the fine staff at UNC.

I thought that some might benefit from a blow by blow report, so here it is:

I went in on Wednesday afternoon for the preliminary CT scan. First, they start an IV so that they can give you the contrast dye that is used by the procedure. These IVs are the most painful part of the procedures. After that, you lie on a table. You don't even have to remove your clothes before hand. That said, they put a blanket over you, and then you lower your pants to mid thigh. Then you lay down and are rolled into this large machine, up to about you nose. So, those of us who have trouble in small places need not panic

You are told to hold your breath, and an overall picture is taken. This thing is not even noisy. It's the MRI that is loud. This is a CT scan. A different kettle of fish. Then they release the dye, and you have a warm sensation throughout your abdomen. More pictures are taken and then you're done in a few minutes.

Yesterday, I had the PAE itself. The prep is basically the same, except that you do have to undress, and put on a hospital gown. They start another IV, and again, this is the most painful part of the procedure. Then I was wheeled into the operating room. I was the first patient in this new modern OR. It's very fancy. They ask for your preference in music, and play that throughout the procedure. That said, you only hear about 5 minutes of it. The operating table is very narrow, so they support your arms with either a small addition to the table, or a sheet wrapped around your arm, and back under you. I also asked them to put a rolled up towel under the small of my back, and pillows under my head and behind my knees. You aren't allowed to move during the procedure, but then again you are knocked out, so this is not a problem. I still don't even have any recollection of urinating, but if I could go that long without urinating, I wouldn't have been there in the first place. My case was complicated since I have some very narrow arteries, some less than 1mm, so I was in the OR for 4 hours. Dr. Isaacson was able to handle it though, and get the job done. It just took longer.

After another 3 hours or so in recovery, I was ready to go back to the hotel.

I have had some pain after the procedure. I constantly feel like I need to deficate (go number 2 - take a dump, or however you want to discuss it), but so far, I haven't been able to even though I started stool softeners the night before the procedure. Word to the wise: start the stool softener earlier. That said, it may just be that my prostate is swollen, and is blocking my colon. I'll ask Dr. Isaacson when I talk to him later today. Asside from that, I have had no pain on urination. That reinforces my idea that much of the post operative pain on urination is caused by the damn catheter, which in most cases is done for the doctor's convenience, not the patient's. Absent a medical condition which requires a catheter, tell the doctor to use a bottle.

Last night, I got up 3 times, instead of the usual 7-10, so I am expecting great things. I have no blood in my urine, and, of course, don't yet know about my semen.

So now it's a waiting game to see when I can deficate again, and how much better my prostate will get. I am taking antibiotics, a prednisone, and Motrin. I took oxycodone until this morning, and stopping that will likely help with the deficating.

I can't write enough wonderful things about Dr. Isaacson and the staff at UNC. They did everything humanly possible to make me comfortable, and thoroughly answer my, and my wife's questions. If it is possible for you to get to UNC, I would certainly have my procedure done there.

Please feel free to write if you have any questions, and I will do my best toanswer them. I will also do further status reports.

Finally, thanks to Don, and the rest of you who have encouraged me, and answered my questions as I went down this path. It means a lot.

Neal

• Posted

Neal I am very happy for you.  I hope you will get better in time.  The CT test you had I had the other week when I was in the hospital.  Went into A Fib  They were checking my heart.  To me it felt great.  It was so warm when they but the dye in.  IV's don't worry me.  Was in the hospital last year with Sepsis Had blood taking 43 times in 6 days.  Take care and relax now things will get better in time  Ken 
    • Posted

I hope I never go through that again.  Are you taking it easy.  Just listen to the dr. Take care  Ken
    • Posted

No one likes to undergo surgery, but as surgery goes, this has been pretty easy. My wife is with me, and she is doing all the driving for a few days. We are just resting in a good hotel here, and currently plan to leave for home on Sunday, so all seems to be progressing well. Thanks for your concern.

Neal

• Posted

I'm happy to hear that it went well. Here's wishing you a full and speedy recovery. --Don
    • Posted

Hi Neal 

Nice and delighted to hear u r doin fine. wish you speedy and full recovery

Could you share how much would it costs the whole procedures ?

• Posted

Hi Again Folks,

I thought I would give you all an update. I had my PAE last Thursday. This is Monday morning.

The procedure itself is not much worse than getting a filling at the dentist. I ended up with two IV pokes in my right arm (one from the CT scan the day before, and one for the surgery itself), and 4 pokes about the same size in a small group in my left wrist. I was asleep for the 4 pokes.

After the surgery, the main problem I had, BY FAR was constipation caused by the post op pain meds. Take a colace type stool softener 2 pills each morning and 2 pills each evening for at least 3 days BEFORE the day of the procedure. That is important!

Otherwise, I have been lucky so far. I have had no blood in my urine or stools, and have no idea about my semen. Other than the constipation, I have had no major pain (see below). When I finally was able to deficate, on Saturday (!!!!), the first bits were very hard, large, and caused some bleeding. Take the stool softener.

I only had one other source of pain. Dr. Isaacson prefers to use an approach into your wrist, but they have to prep your groin in case he has go into your groin because wrist won't work. So, they shaved my groin. By accident, I think, they shaved a portion of my scrotum. The result was the worst case of razor burn I have ever had. I think they also managed to slop Betadine on it. I have had to wrap my scrotum in gauze because it hurt so much for it to rub on my leg. It seems to be getting better now.

Dr. Isaacson told me that my progress might regress for a while starting the 4-5th day, and that has happened. I was up several times last night, and sometimes I have some minor pain in my prostate when I urinate. That pain, however, is no worse than the pain i had in my prostate when I urinated before the procedure. He says that this "regression" will very likely go away in a week or 10 days, so I am looking forward to that.

So, all in all, I feel that I am doing very well. I had great urine flow, and was only up 3 times or so in the nights immediately following the surgery, so I am looking forward to getting back to that, and beyond. In summary, This is a great procedure and will become the standard. Dr. Isaacson, and the staff at UNC are outstanding. More updates coming.

Any questions?

Neal

• Posted

Hi Jag,

I don't know the exact cost yet. I was told to wait until I am contacted by their financial representative. It's a little complicated in my case. The original estimate is $6,800.00 for the procedure and $1,800.00 for the CT scan. The CT scan, however, is covered by US MEDICARE. The procedure normally takes 2 hours. Mine took 4 hours because I have some abnormal blood vessels which have strictures smaller than 1 mm. I was told about that before the procedure. To me, it was a testament to Dr. Isaacson's skill that he was able to do it at all under those circumstances.

So, I have no idea if they are going to charge me more. I'll let you know after I find out in a week or two.

Neal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.