PAE in the UK

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have been offered a TURP by my urologist, I am on alfuzosin, which isn't working and makes me tired all the time. I can't have a proper pee, and I am getting really fed up with it all. I ready about PAE today and don't know what to do next, is there anywhere in the UK, I think Southampton offer it, but not sure if it is on the NHS or you have to pay. It is the other end of the country, I am in Leicester. Any help apprecited. Does PAE work for BPH? 

0 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

most info on PAE you can get searching for Dr.Pisco at prostate medical center, one of two developers of this procedure and most experienced

• Posted

Sorry. No idea. Not really in the topic I'm afraid!!
    • Posted

Sorry Phillip...ignore my last comment!
    • Posted

Of course, I am a novice at this and sorry if I made a mistake on my first post.
    • Posted

My belief is as follows: There is a correlation between the risks involved in any prostate procedure and the durability of the results. TURP is the most invasive puts is the riskiest in terms of peri and post-operative bleeding, in addition to sexual dysfunctioning issues. That said it probability is effective for a longer period of time than some of the MIPs. 

The Green Lght Laser and Holep appear to be less risky in terms of peri and post-operative complications, but the duration of of their effectiveness may be limited.

On  the other end of the continuum is the Rezum, which requires no anesthestic other than lidocaine, and can be done in an office setting within an hour. Since I recently had the Rezum,I was impressed by the absence of any peri or post procedure issues. While the initial urinary retention results are promising,I won't know for certain for about another four months.

I don't have any opinion on the PAE.

• Posted

Hi David, for the ideas about risks vs durability. I haven't found anyone locally who offers Rezum. For me, I don't know if I should watch and wait, try some new drugs or go for surgery. 

Seeing my GP tonight.

• Posted

Rezum's available in the US & UK will most likely depend on the results from the limited number of hospitals and urological practices currently using it. Rezum was approved by the FDA in Sept 2015,after the manufacter's test results were acceptable. However that type of test is subject to manipulation.The most reliable results will come within a few months, from Rezum use in private practice. I'm keeping my eye on the Cleveland Clinic, which generally uses the latest technology. If they decide to purchase the machine and offer it permanently, you can be assured the treatment is safe and effective.
  • Posted

Hi how old are you. I had a TURP on Monday. Noticing my peeing better already. There are side effects which can result in erection problems. So if this isn't a problem then go for it.
  • Posted

I'm 67.So far in the 29 days since the Rezum, the urinary retention has been dramatically reduced.The big question is the durabiity of the results. Will it be one year, two years?, only time will tell. Hopefully the Rezum could be repeated if necesssary.
  • Posted

No absolutely painless,which is remarkable considering the number of commenters who found otherwise. I'd like to think I have good pain receptors in the right place. Most of the complaints have been about the lidocaine injection. I don't recall if it was the MD or RN that administered it but they did it perfectly. It would be interesting to ask a urologist how many people experience pain during a cytoscopy or Rezum. My hunch is that a lot has to do with the skill of the person administering the anesthetic, and getting it exactly in the right spot.
    • Posted

Hello can you please tell me was this in the uk on the nhs? and if so can you give me any ideas of where to look thanks.
    • Posted

Thanks David, I have made my mind up to go for a PAE, I need to find the funding and a good radiologist to do it for me. I will report back as I found out more about the procedue in the UK.
    • Posted

No it was in the US. We don't have national healthcare and health insurance is very expensive. I'm not familiar with the NHS, but my insurance plan allows me to select a provider from almost anywhere in the US, who is willing to accept it. I'm not satisfied with the quality of care in the area where I reside, so it is a three hour drive to the Cleveland Clinic. The higher standard of treatment, at least in my case, was well worth the drive.
    • Posted

I have found a clinic about 2 hours drive from me. I am waiting for my first appointment for an MRI scan. I am sorting the financial side as this is procedure is so important to me, I am hoping PAE works for me.
    • Posted

I had mine done at the Cleveland Clinic too. Despite the issues I had after the procedure, I think my doc there is first rate.
    • Posted

Dr. Khaled Fareed is my primary urologist, but Ulchaker performed the procedure while Fareed sat and watched. Ulchalker has a great video profile, in the bio section of the Cleveland Clinic website.
    • Posted

I'm not certain if both Drs. Fareed and Ulchaker are certified to perform the Rezum, or just Ulchaker. The later is very congenial, doesn't come off as arrogant, unlike so many MDs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.