PAE in the UK

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have been offered a TURP by my urologist, I am on alfuzosin, which isn't working and makes me tired all the time. I can't have a proper pee, and I am getting really fed up with it all. I ready about PAE today and don't know what to do next, is there anywhere in the UK, I think Southampton offer it, but not sure if it is on the NHS or you have to pay. It is the other end of the country, I am in Leicester. Any help apprecited. Does PAE work for BPH? 

0 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Regarding the pain involved in the Rezum treatment: in 2012 I had a 12 core prostate biopsy. Before the procedure I took 1 Tylenol capsule. Also, the urologist shot my prostate with lidocane. The pain increased with each core taken. The nurse was present in the room and was talking with me the whole time in order to distract me from what was going on. By the 12th core I was really in some pain. So, when I had this done again a year later, I took three Tylenol capsules before. The pain was MUCH less - and easy to get through all 12 cores. The whole procedure took about 5-10 minutes to complete. I can't imagine that Rezum is any more painful, so my suggestion to anyone who is scheduled to have the Rezum treatment, would be to take some Tylenol before. This seems to take the edge off the pain - instead of sharp pain it's just dull pain - much easier to deal with. 
    • Posted

It was short, but the pain when I had Rezum done would not have been suffciently blunted by Tylenol. Knowing what I know now, I would have asked to be twilighted. The last spray hurt to the point of screaming - only 9 seconds, but I could have done without it. It took less than an hour but was unpleasant enough that I would have been happy to not remember it. 
    • Posted

For about 15 seconds I had a "discomfort level" of 4 during the spraying process, nothing more. A small dosage of Ativan or Xanax woud be helpful and shouldn't put the average person in "twilight". Interestingly enough the last Rezum spray was the most uncomfortable for me as well. An analgesic wouldn't have helped.
  • Posted

My PAE jorney started two months ago. I had read about PAE, spoke to various people including the consultant at the Churchill Hospital in Oxford. 

I went to Oxford a month ago for a CT and MRI scan to see if was a suitable candidate but also had to have a consulation with a urologist, who asked for me to have a flexible cystoscopy to check if I had a uretheral stricture. The also did a PSA. 

The MRI revealed I had a lump on my prostate.

The urologist found I don't have a stricture and the procedure was planned for the 23rd August. 

I went into the produre room at 1pm and came out at 4.15pm, the process was painless except for the initial local to number the groin area. 

The result was they couldn't inject the beads into ether side of my prostate, as my arteries were not suitable, the prostate arteries are linked to the supply of my bladder, so they decided not to proceed. 

The hospital was very professinal, I cannot fault the care I received.

The lump is something the surgeons have said is not a issue.

The team are seing my scans and my case to a local urologist, I am sure I am going to be living with BPH for a long time, as I won't be going for a TURP or HOLEP.

I wish other people good luck with their PAE treatments.

Philip.

• Posted

Sorry to hear they couldn't do this.

I am considering using Oxford but am a little concerned about the lack of experience they may have with the proceedure.

• Posted

My advice is, ask a lot of questions, make sure you have all the data and the options and possible success rates etc.

I feel I did everything I could.

My comment about the Oxford Team is they did everything they could, I couldn't fault the professional approach and their post operative care.

Amazing team, you would be in very good hands.

Experience: I think they have done 60 and only 2 of us couldn't have the treatment, I was just unlucky. 

At least I have had a MRI and CT and lots of tests, including a flow rate, and before the PAE, the only test I had was a PSA, so it has given me a better understanding of my condition and I am going to look at my options. 

I am not going to rush into anything.

Just take your time Scraggs.

• Posted

Just to add: I believe my experience shows how experienced the Oxford Team are in relation to PAE, as they didn't proceed with my insertion of beads, based on their comprehensive understanding of the risks. I am pleased with the outcome, as I am no worse off. 

• Posted

Perhaps I am missing something here but should this not have been picked up on the scan ?

I thought the scan was to see if you were suitable for the proceedure.

• Posted

I belive to be 100% sure, they need to have a very close look at blood supply using the catheter, dye and CT machine. 
  • Posted

An update, it has been 2 weeks since my PAE and I still have lower back pain.

I have in the past had a lower back pain issue, but without any issues for 10 years, but as I was laying on the table for 4 hours and in bed for another 4 hours, my back has been in spasm for 2 weeks. Something for potential PAE patients to consider before undertaking the procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.