PAE presentation in Washington today.

Posted , 8 users are following.

A successful trial in Portugal is being followed up in Britain, with results due back later this year. If successful it could be rolled out for routine use on the NHS.

Joao Martins Pisco, who led the study at St Louis Hospital in Lisbon, said: 'Within five years I think this will replace surgery as the standard treatment.

The Portuguese team, which will present its findings at the Society of Interventional Radiology in Washington DC today, concluded the procedure is as effective as surgery and the benefits may last as long. 

Link to article describing Dr Pisco's presentation:

https://www.sirweb.org/advocacy-and-outreach/media/news-release-archive/news-release-SIR2017_PAEStudy/

3 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is good news. I hope to have this done instead of the other choices out there. Very few if any side effects. My Urologist is still old school IE TURP and PSA tests only and TRUS biopsy if PSA is high, we need to change this and as patients we can influence our doctors by not accepting the mainstream treatments. They used to be the standard, but things change and they need to keep up. I would never opt for a Biopsy that was blind, nor would I have a TURP for my enlarged Prostate. I have been waiting for this and it looks like I will make it.
    • Posted

Note that he said as with other procedures "The procedure is as effective as surgery and the benefits may last as long" .It seems that nothing is forever as far as the prostate is concerned.

• Posted

Agree with all you wrote. Also multi parametric MRI on 3 Tesla machine may replace many biopsies in the future. Lord willing.

I'm also looking into PAE in hopes of avoiding TURP.

Uro surgery may be the answer for high Gleason score localized PC.

BPH options seem much more difficult to make.

• Posted

That's fanatastic, the science works. I'm considering it also(PAE)...It's treating the symptoms though, not the cause. It's like putting a heart stent in,  it works but doesn't address the cause. The absolute best thing would be a treatment that stops BPH to begin with. The Gat Goren procedure seems to do that.  Both PAE and the GG procedure are done by radiologists. Wouldn't it be great if one procedure could do both things at the same time? Instant relief with PAE and months later permanent relief when the T levels to the prostate drop... Probably not necessary to do both but it's interesting. The good thing is PAE and FLA and other treatments can be done now and when the GG procedure becomes common and covered by insurance hopefully that also can be done to treat the cause. I'm going to check with other fertility Dr's for the procedure and to see what's possible as far as insurance coverage before I decide on a treatment. I have gotten some good tips from other guys on here.

• Posted

I tried to link a medical journal article on the GG procedure. Perhaps the mods removed it.

I was thinking as I read the journal piece that GG does get to the root cause. If testosterone cannot be converted to DHT in the prostate then hyperplasia cannot take effect.

PAE may be effective based on studies to date, but it does not address the root cause. Neither, of course, does TURP, TUNA, HoLEP, etc.

• Posted

At last! Although I was going to have a PAE in Guys Hospital, London aprox 3 wks ago & it was found my artery also fed my bladder which if they had gone ahead would have been become damaged, & I would have been much worse off than I am now. So it is not for everyone. Looking now at FLA as an option as well as BPH I have low grade Gleeson 6 cancer so could sort both things out at the same ttime. They have been trialing it in the UK but it's only now been reported in the press as if it's some really new thing. 

• Posted

I've put the link RichP was posting/describing in the initial discussion and also added the Daily Mail link to Derek's post rather than having loads of comments to find these.

Regards,

Alan 

• Posted

Derek, I had my PAE done on February 9,2017 with Dr. Pisco and I saw immediate results and with no pain , and no medicine. Dr. Pisco and I was discussing about the reward he was going to get when I had my procedure done. He got into the medical profession to help people not just for the money. He is a very nice man and really cares for your health. I went today for my 1 month checkup on my psa that Dr. Pisco wanted me to get and I was a 6-8 on my psa before the PAE and can't wait to see how much it's gone down. I feel great and so happy that I found this procedure. I was going down the same old road as most all of the men in this forum and same stories. I thank God that he directed my steps to Dr. Pisco!!!!

I get on this forum or try to every day to advise men to make the right choice. My hope and prayer is that all men read and research and not just listen to there urologist.

• Posted

Dear David  ,       

Good to know  you  are   happy   with  PAE   done  last month.

Pls  share in case it is    possible :  Was the PAE done in Portugal -- as I understand Dr Pisco  is   based  in Portugal . ?

Is PAE   done for   upto  certain size of  Enlarged Prostrates. ? Or it can be  suitable irrespective of  Size of Enlarged Prostrate pls  ? 

Estimated Cost  incurred .

The   above  information would be  helpful  to several members on this FORUM --- is my  earnest  belief. 

Thanks  :Jagdeesh 

• Posted

Yes the Pae was done in Portigul by Dr. Pisco.

I believe you have to have a 50cc or more on the size, you need to check with the Doc. I had a 162cc 

The cost was around 4900.00 Euros

You get in touch by email to Dr. Pisco and he will give you some questions to fill out and a urine diary and you have to have a CT Scan. I did mine in Portugal cost was 150.00 Euros compared to USA 1,500.00

He and his team was professional and very clean. It took about 1 1/2 and then I had to stay still for 2 hours and then I walked out of hospital. I get my Psa results back in a couple of days Dr. Pisco wants you to get one on 30 days, 6 months and then a year.  I will put the results on my forum... Your Truly David H.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.