PAE presentation in Washington today.

Posted , 8 users are following.

A successful trial in Portugal is being followed up in Britain, with results due back later this year. If successful it could be rolled out for routine use on the NHS.

Joao Martins Pisco, who led the study at St Louis Hospital in Lisbon, said: 'Within five years I think this will replace surgery as the standard treatment.

The Portuguese team, which will present its findings at the Society of Interventional Radiology in Washington DC today, concluded the procedure is as effective as surgery and the benefits may last as long. 

Link to article describing Dr Pisco's presentation:

https://www.sirweb.org/advocacy-and-outreach/media/news-release-archive/news-release-SIR2017_PAEStudy/

3 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

dear  Derek ,,,  I and Members on this Forum , would thank you for  the. Link . 

Jagdeesh 

• Posted

Hi Jagdeesh. We are here to help each other
  • Posted

Derek, I just got my psa results back after 30 days from having PAE and it went from an 8 to now a 2.89 !!!!!!!

There is not any medicine or any procedure with less side effects can do this like the PAE.

GO FOR IT MEN ....

• Posted

Wow, that is great news David!

How about improvement in IPSS or QoL?

Do the doctors performing PAE say what % reduction in prostate volume can be expected?

Also, how does PAE price compare to FLA?

Thanks,

Michael

• Posted

Sorry, I just saw your earlier post that it costs 4900 Euros but am wondering what it costs in USD in the States.

I've seen FLA range from $20,000 to $30,000.

I could never afford FLA.

• Posted

It is now the procedure of choice but the problem is going to be availability. There are thousands of urologists but few radiologists. After laser surgery my PSA went from +7.0 to 0.74
    • Posted

PAE is sometimes covered by insurance. If not, last prices I heard from two IR's in US who have done many, many of these procedures were 6500 and 8000 USD.

• Posted

I don't know cost in USA of the PAE. When I found this forum I reserched everybody's comments and saw how the doctors were having some problems doing it in USA and taking notes of how many this guy did and how successful this guy was and it came down two 2 radiologist 1 in portugal which was the teacher of all and 1 in Australia. I told my wife I would fly to the moon to save my errection and empty my bladder. I didn't care of how much it cost because if I met my deductable here success rate in USA sucks and I want to go to the best doctor in the world. As far as how much it shrinks and volume all I can say is I completely empty my bladder I don't have to use a catherter Or any meds anymore. The PAE is the best solution with no side effects. Not everyone is a canidate so I would suggest get in touch with your choice of Radiologist  find out. 

GOD BLESS YOU MEN 

• Posted

I consulted with Dr Bagla, who is the best PAE doctor in the US, according to what i've seen..I think I read that he's done over 600 or more procedures. I was told my insurance covers it all.  I realize Dr. Pisco is the pioneer of this procedure and has done more than anyone as far as procedures ..probably a few thousand but in my case,  is it worth paying 5k out of pocket to go to Portugal? Dr. Bagla's 600 procedures isn't shabby, he has an outstanding reputation and has authored books of his techniques etc.. It seems to me most of the IR's have the same success/failure rates. As far as picking a doctor, I would narrow it down to Dr. Bagla or Dr Pisco. Then go with the most cost effective. In my case it's Bagla.

• Posted

If he HAS done 600 he will know what he's doing. It is day patient surgery which will take at the very most 2 hrs, no anethesia & you will be able to go home a few hrs afterwards.

• Posted

Hi all,

I am scheduled for PAE with Dr Bagla a week from Monday. From my conversations with him: he has done over 400 procedures, and if you are from out of town, I believe he suggested that you stay in the area at least overnight. No general anethesia, but something called "twilight sleep".

• Posted

Twilight sleep - a sedative, but I didn't have it, never felt a thing & fell asleep anyway. If you are out of town I suspect it would be sensible to stay overnight afterwards just in case there is the extremly unlikely chance of a complication.

• Posted

Actually, I am going to stay 3 or 4 days in Woodbridge. There's a long term hotel (Residence Inn) very close, full kitchen, two rooms. No need to rush home. So if there is any complication, I'll be close by.

• Posted

I don't think you need to worry, just relax!

• Posted

Wasn't worrying, but thanks for the reminder! smile

• Posted

I agree with you. If he has that many it should be fine. I can't wait to hear your good news after procedure. Peter02 your right on the twilight sleep I was awake thru the procedure . Good luck men I will be praying for y'all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.