PAE TREATMENT for BPH?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Can anyone recommend a good doctor in the NYC/Northern NJ area for PAE TREATMENT?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have read good things about Dr. Bahtia. He is not only the chair of IR at Miami University but a member of Department of Urology faculty. Probably good, and University Clinics accept Medicare insurance, as a rule. Rumors and alleged statements of his assistants that his PAE procedure uses special low level X-ray equipment and radiation dose is comparable to standard fluoroscopy probably are not true. IR is almost always about high doses of x-rays. Somebody on this forum wrote that Dr. Isakson offers PAE for$6500. Sound too low for me. Even Medicare codes approve more than $25,000 for the IR procedures.

Nowadays patients get PAE around the country, in Australia, Portugal, Brazil, Spain, etc.

After PAE one typically doesn't need any follow up, unless this is a clinical study, like in . my case. This is not a surgery, and if no mistakes were made during the procedure, no care required afterward. My Dr. Picel or his staff never called ma after my PAE till 3 month and 6 months, when they wanted questionnaires and some tests. So, I won't be concerned if IR doctor didn't follow up. You will know yourself how successful the procedure was. If not, you will have to repeat it or chose something different...

• Posted

Thanks Gene

Helpful and informative as always

Bahtia uses radial artery

Bagla uses femoral

Any advantages to either?

What do you feel after PAE?

pain? pressure? burning?

one guy said it felt like a golf ball was lodged in his rectum

I would think there can be many strange sensations given arteries are no longer feeding tissue

Any IR who's good at PAE in Midwest? MN WI IL MI IN OH?

I'm a long way from Miami and Alexandria VA

thanks

• Posted

"Bahtia uses radial artery

Bagla uses femoral

Any advantages to either?"

My IR doctor (scheduled for Aug 6, 2021) told me that they prefer radial artery for patients under 5'10". Healing is faster, and you can get up right away. With the femoral artery you have to keep pressure longer, and not stand up for an extra hour or two. But for taller patients it's hard to reach all the way from the wrist .

He also advised me that I would feel pretty uncomfortable for a day or a few; almost continual urgency, pain on urination, nocturia. They prescribe drugs to help with all these symptoms.

Again, I'm just stating what my doctor told me, but he didn't seem to want to give me any false expectations.

• Posted

The Dr at Yale, New Haven is Raj Ayyagari.

I don't have any direct personal experience with him, however.

• Posted

thank you so much for your effort in getting me the doctors name!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.