PAE with Dr. Bagla on 03.27.17

Posted , 9 users are following.

Well it's finally happening, after much research and great help from the men on this forum, I'm heading to VA for PAE with Dr. Bagla. I will try to keep a journal here for everyone.

I am almost 70, and have been dealing with LUTS almost certainly caused by BPH. My prostate when measured by 3T MRI about a year and a half ago was 98 cc. No telling what it is now. I have been on tamsulosin for a little over 2 years, at first daily, and in the past several months every other day because the side effects are quite difficult to for me to deal with. During the 24 hrs after I take a pill, my LUTS are greatly diminished. The next 24 hrs the LUTS return in full force: great frequency and urgency for long stretches, dribbling, and great difficulty in passing urine the first time I wake at night. Up 2 to 4 times a night depending to some extent whether or not I have taken the pill that afternoon. Don't really have other tests or info about the "before" condition, but feel free to ask away. The IPSS score is rather erratic due to the every other day regime with the meds.

0 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Best of luck with the procedure. I am considering either PAE ( probably down in North Carolina due to cost even though I am in DC) or FLA.

Please keep posting about your experience.

Rick

• Posted

I will do my best to keep an ongoing post. I was helped so much by the accounts that other men have posted on these discussions.
  • Posted

Hi rich, what side effects that you experience with tamsulosin ? Hank

• Posted

Hi Hank,

Not super common, but it does happen: sinus congestion so bad that at times I cannot sleep, just completely clogged up. And a persistent cough caused by post nasal drip. Switching to every other day reduced the severity, but on the day I take the pill it still happens to some extent.

• Posted

Hi rich, did you ever try to take half of the dosage every day ? It is what I am doing with doxazosin (tamsulosin's cousin). My side effects when taking full dose (8mg) is dizziness, especially after standing up, and low blood pressue. So I am now taking 1/2 dose which is 4mg. Hank

• Posted

Hi rich, PAE is also my first choice right now if I decide to go for it. FLA seems to give better result but the post-op suffering is much more than PAE. Hank
    • Posted

I was told by more than one medical professional that the tamsulosin pills cannot be safely split in two, and they don't make a smaller dose pill. That had been my first thought also, but since I heard this from several sources, I trust that that is accurate.

• Posted

I also considered FLA, but the track record is pretty slim at this point, and the post op does seem more difficult. With that said, if the PAE doesn't work for me, I would still consider FLA. I had wonderful conversations with Dr. Karmainian, the doc in TX who is doing the FLA for BPH study.

• Posted

Good luck Rich I will keep you in my prayers.  Let us know whats going on  Ken
    • Posted

Thanks. Will do.

Packing up today, leave for VA tomorrow (we're taking two days), and then Dr B on Monday.

• Posted

Good luck and have fun on your 2 days.  Relax And I think all will be fine.  I will put you in my prayers Ken
    • Posted

Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Hope everything goes well. Keep us informec of your day to day progress.

Rick

• Posted

Rich   Good luck.  I know it's alot to ask but try to relax and the let the doctor do the best for you.  He has had good results.  I hope you have read up on it and the side effects in the first month.  I hope you heal fast.  Do worry about letting us know until you are rested and relax  God bless.  I hope you had a nice few days..Ken 

• Posted

Thanks all for your good wishes. Settled in at the Residence Inn in Woodbridge. Just back from a very good Indian meal at The Taste of Tandoor. It sure is different here from where I live in the mountains north of NYC. So much traffic and development.

Off to Dr B for 11:00 am procedure tomorrow.

Rich

• Posted

Rich  I was thinking and saying a prayer for you at 11AM  I hope your not in to much pain.  Just relax.  I hope it works for you.  Don't e-mail back until you feel better  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.