PAE with Dr. Bagla on 03.27.17

Posted , 9 users are following.

Well it's finally happening, after much research and great help from the men on this forum, I'm heading to VA for PAE with Dr. Bagla. I will try to keep a journal here for everyone.

I am almost 70, and have been dealing with LUTS almost certainly caused by BPH. My prostate when measured by 3T MRI about a year and a half ago was 98 cc. No telling what it is now. I have been on tamsulosin for a little over 2 years, at first daily, and in the past several months every other day because the side effects are quite difficult to for me to deal with. During the 24 hrs after I take a pill, my LUTS are greatly diminished. The next 24 hrs the LUTS return in full force: great frequency and urgency for long stretches, dribbling, and great difficulty in passing urine the first time I wake at night. Up 2 to 4 times a night depending to some extent whether or not I have taken the pill that afternoon. Don't really have other tests or info about the "before" condition, but feel free to ask away. The IPSS score is rather erratic due to the every other day regime with the meds.

0 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi everyone,

Had the PAE yesterday morning. The office, the staff, the procedure, and Dr Bagla were exactly as so many previous posts have described. The office is immaculate, well organized. Everyone there was extremely professional, welcoming and available. I definitely felt I was in very good hands. I was taken to a pre-procedure room almost immediately. Changed into the blue tissue gown, non-slip socks, and a hair net. Nurse took vitals, started IV, and put some prelim meds in (don't remember which ones). The nurse explained everything that she was doing, answered all my questions, and more than once said to ask away if any other concerns occurred to me. Dr Bagla came in and reviewed everything that would be happening during the procedure. A very present, warm, and obviously extremely bright guy. 

A short wait, then wheeled into the procedure room. Wow, like out of Star Trek. Three surgical assistants were there. They explained everything that they would be doing, what to expect, and to let them know at anytime if I was uncomfortable or had questions. They started the twilight med, I was extremely relaxed, and a second dose was administered just before Dr B came in, so I was in la-la land from that point on, and have no memory of it at all, though i have been informed thatI was conscious during it. Amnesia is common with this type of sedation.

Next thing I knew I was in the recovery room (same as the pre-procedure room).

To be con't in next post.

• Edited

In the recovery room, I needed to be lying down for at least two hours to let the incision close up before moving about. My wife just told me that I don't remember much of what happened during that period. Apparently the nurse came in and checked the incision site and my vitals very frequently. I do remember that Dr B came in to see how I was doing at one point. When it was safe for me to sit up, I had some food and drink (I had been fasting since the evening before). Then got dressed .. I was definitely still a little shaken. Except for a slight pinch when the IV was initially started, I experienced absolutely no pain. Zilch.

Then a short ride to the hotel, and stayed mostly lying around chatting, reading, and dosing the rest of the day. My wife told me that the staff were very gracious while I was undergoing the procedure, offering her blankets, coffee, etc.

Towards bedtime started to feel a slight burning in the lower pelvis area. That has persisted all night and into the morning. Slight burning when initiating urination this morning. So just very mild discomfort. I didn't sleep well the first half of the night, probably because I slept so much on and off during the day yesterday. Started some new meds today according to the med schedule plan which hopefully will take care of the mild discomfort.

Dr B's office said that I will get a call from a nurse today. My follow-up with Dr B will be by phone in one month, and is already scheduled.

There is no comparison between the quality of care I've been receiving when compared to the care I have received in the past  at my local urologists.

• Posted

Fat finger correction:

I was definitely still a little shaken

should have read I was definitely a little woozy.

• Posted

Glad to hear it went smoothly Rich. How long before you start seeing results? Are you heading home today?
    • Posted

Hi unc,

Dr B said results in 3 to 4 weeks. Stay of Tamsulosin for one month.

Head home either tomorrow or Thursday, and we'll take two days.

Small amount of blood in urine now, not unexpected. Meds took care of the burning.

Rich

• Posted

Rich I am very happy for you and glad all seam have gone well.  Did you have to have a catheter.  You don't say anything about that. Rest up and will talk with you later  Ken

• Posted

No catheter. That was a major "selling" point for me. Just don't like the idea of anything getting put in my body through that opening!!!

• Posted

That's good better chance of no infection.  I had one when i had my urolift done.  I don't pee on demand so they put one in just in case had it for 3 days  Is the burning better.  Let hope all goes well   Rest when you get home and don't lift anything heavy for a while  Take it easy  Ken

• Posted

Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Rick

• Posted

Thanks.

Here's an update.

The first two days there was burning when I urinated during the day. Not super bad, but not fun either. Also felt rather weak.  Didn't burn at night, but I was up 7 or 8 times each night, maybe from the prednisone rather than urgency, maybe a bit of both. I don't think I could have managed by myself ... my wife has been handling the caretaking and dealing with the rest of the world.

Today is day 3, feeling better, and no burning! I suspect the night will go better, as it feels like something has shifted, and I'm gradually reducing the prednisone (as prescribed).

In PA for the night, home tomorrow.

• Posted

Day 12 update:

For the first week or so, I tired pretty easily. When the meds were finished, the mild burning when initiating urination came back. I took ibuprofen 200 mg once a day and that seemed to take the edge off of it. Haven't needed that for a couple of days now, seems like things have turned the corner. My energy is much better and no burning while peeing. Still taking tamsulosin every other day, so hard to know if the procedure has made a difference yet, and Dr B said 3 to 4 weeks before you really know.

That's it for now. Have my fingers crossed!

Rich

• Posted

I have my fingers crossed for a good out come. Good luck to you
    • Posted

Hi Rich,

?    Hope you're doing great. I'm have the pae procedure in early June. Are you able to give us a update.

?     Thanks so much.

Ronnie

?   

• Posted

Hi Ronnie,

Where will youi be having the procedure?

Day 25 update:

My energy been really good for a week or two now. I tried skipping the tamsulosin for more than one day about 10 days ago and the LUTS pretty much returned, so I've been back on the every other day regime. It's hard to tell sometimes, but I would say that the symptoms are marginally better.

Part of what I'm seeing is that as the BPH developed over the years I developed habits unconciously to deal with it. If I felt the slightest urge to pee, I would urinate because if I ignored it, it would turn very quickly into an urgent need. For the same resaon I would always urinate just before lying down for a nap or sitting down for diinner. If I ignore the preliminary urge now, it hasn't been turning into an urgent need. I'm able to wait a very long time before urinating. It's  definitely a retraining of an ingrained habit.

I have a follow-up phone appointment scheduled with Dr Bagla next Friday. I'm planning on stopping the tamsulosin this Sunday (that will be 4 weeks since the procedure) and see what happens. Of course, I would have loved more dramatic results by now, but still have my fingers crossed that things will improve.

Rich

• Posted

Hi Rich,

?    Thanks so much for the update. I will be having the procedure on June 5th.

?    As a college coach I'm quite active, running & etc. Were you able to resume normal activities soon after surgery?

Thanks again for the updates, so appreciated.

Ronnie

• Posted

Hi Ronnie,

I was moving pretty slow for the first 4 or 5 days. No excercise, and just some easy walking. I tired pretty easily for the first week or so. Age may have something to do with it. I'm 69, rapidly approaching 70. You sound like you might be a bit younger.

The recommendations were for limited physical activity for at least a week or until the puncture site heals. I recall reading some posts on the forum from men who got active right away and ended up with extensive bruising, possibly hematomas?

Where will you be having the procedure?

Rich

• Posted

Hi Rich,

?  I'm having the procedure by Dr. Bagla also. I'm 70 which makes us both in the prime of our life.

?   Thanks again for your updates as I'm a little apprehensive.

Ronnie  

• Posted

Hi Ronnie,

I understand your apprehension. Rest easy, if my experience is any indicator (which from many other posts it is!) you will be in great hands.

Are you local to Dr B's office? If you'll be travelling and staying over, I can pass on some recommendations for a hotel and a few restaurants. My wife and I drove down from upstate NY.

Rich

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.