Pain

Posted , 11 users are following.

I read all the posts and think everyone is doing so much better than me with their recovery

i still don't sleep any more than 2 hours at a time and wake up with pain in the whole of my leg 

day times aren't too bad but I still struggle

the knee is still bruised and swollen 12 weeks on from Op

My bend is good and I can now straighten my knee

any advice  about the pain would be appreciated 

Jean 

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jean.

Pain isn't much fun. Sounds like you need your 

pain relief reviewed.I look forward to being

able to sleep through the night one day.

At the moment a few hours stretch at once 

Is a bonus.

Good luck

Christine

• Posted

Thanks Christine 

but when your GP tells you you shouldn't need painkillers now .......

it makes you feel as if you're just looking for sympathyI'll be glad when I see my consultant on the 31st Dec 

• Posted

Ask your GP if he can feel your pain. If he cant then he has to take your word for it. He is an arragant pig to even think that. Go onto NHS Choices and you can leave a review about your GP
  • Posted

Ask your GP to refer you to the pain management team. Take your painkillers regularly not when you have pain. TKR success depends on the individual the surgeon and the type of knee replacement you had. So see your GP
  • Posted

Don't assume you are not doing as well as everyone else. ... I can assure you ...I sleep 2 hours at a time

... up at 2,4,6,8, am always painful to stand up after lying down or sitting for a while.... If i do too much physio. .. I can't walk next day....still using one crutch outside... I got sleeping tablets ... anti depressants. .. and painkillers from GP. .. I'm usually very upbeat but this really got me down. ... I'm a bit better now. . I'm also 12 weeks ...xx Take care.. This group is fantastic everyone has been through it. x 

• Posted

Hi Mary,

You know how you feel, not the doctor. Believe in yourself. Be assertive.

Good luck,

Christine NZ

• Posted

What sort of pain killers are you taking? I still take psnadeine forte (cocodamol 500/30). Also ibuprofen. That keeps me reasonably pain free. I notice it if I dont take it. I'm 10 weeks and 6 weeks. I think the pain increases for a while as you get further along because you do more.
    • Posted

I just take the co- codamol the same as you

the GP tried me on Tramadol but they made me violently sick 

i haven't been given anti inflammatories

i will make an appointment to see my GP 

but here in the UK it takes weeks to get an appointment  

Jean 

• Posted

Where do you live If I phone the surgery I can get at least a tele consultation and if the GP needs to see me the appointment is for that day or the next. I can also get Saturday or Sunday appointments. 

Ive never had to wait more than 2 days for appointments

My GP changed me from Nepofam to CoDyramol the day after discharge (Paracetamol 500mg dihydrocodeine 118 10mgs) 

• Posted

It sometimes takes 4 weeks or more to get an appointment to see a specific doctor 

we do have a same day service if we ring before 8 am but it's like the third degree trying to make the receptionist fit you in 

I guess this is city living for you ( Sheffield) UK 

jean 

• Posted

Jean can you buy anti inflammatories over the counter in the UK? In Australia you can. The chemist will be able to tell you if you can take them with other meds you might be taking. You can also buy an dnti inflammatory gel in Aust that you rub on the skin.over the sore part. That might help as well. J know what you mean about it being hard to see a Dr. It is here too.
    • Posted

Hi sandra 

most medication has to be prescribed by a doctor .. But I will definitely have a word with the chemist tomorrow 

thank you 

Jean 

ps ...here I am awake for the 2nd time tonight and it's only 3-30 am 

• Posted

You can buy them over the counter here (UK) such as Ibuprofen, as well. A lot of combination painkillers are over the counter but things like CoDydramol are prescription only thats because of the DF118 in it
    • Posted

I managed to get an appointment at GPs later this morning ...some kind soul had cancelled theirs 

so fingers crossed I will get sorted ...

jean 

• Posted

Hi Jean

i've just passed 12 weeks too.  I, luckily, sleep pretty well and don't wake up in pain but I do have problems straightening my leg first thing and use the crutch until I can put my full weight on it after the first 5 mins.  Then I'm generally OK indoors, but careful going downstairs.  I don't take any painkillers now, but I do struggle outdoors and do use one crutch still.  As other people have said, we are all different...and I was in pain in the recovery room this time (with a bespoke knee), whereas I wasn't with my other knee...which actually caused me more problems and ended up having to be manipulated.  So, certainly ask your GP if you feel that you are struggling and don't panic if you don't seem to be at the same stage as someone else.

wishing you all the best.

patsy

• Posted

Thank you Patsy

its not in the actual knee where the pain is during the night ...it's the whole leg ....and I have to lift it to turn over 

i too had a bespoke knee.

thanks 

Jean 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.