Pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

its 15 weeks now having TKR then 11weeks after mulipulation . Still walking with a limp but working on that . I feel will I ever walk without a limp .need my life back and get back to work and enjoy walking,dancing ,and riding my bike, Just feeling low need to get back to normal .

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lesley

I hear you - im 7.5 mos - that's right 7.5 mos from my last TKR and i'm still experiencing pain pain pain.  Had my knee drained twice - still waiting for results that should have come last weds and here it is almost this weds.  Hang in there - i'm with ya- i want to walk, dance and ride my bike tooo sad  Take care - you are in my thoughts

• Posted

Thank u for your kind words it help knowing I'm not alone .hope your results come soon 😔

• Posted

Lesley, so sorry to hear you're going through a tough time there!  This is obviously going to take time, but you WILL get there.  Try and make the most of this period by finding things that make you happy, to help pass the time as your body recovers, and hopefully week by week you'll see such progress that it will encourage you. But do feel free to vent on here:-)))))

• Posted

cry im going to be one of a few who isnt going to give you false hopes What I am going to say and im 4 months post TKR is you may never get back to doing what you used to I was not able to walk very far dance or  ride a byke BUT now I can walk further than ever a total of 7 miles last week i bought a fitzip to check daily progress I remember the first time i checked i walked 35o steps around the outside of my house and then slept in the chair for 2 hours solid and my hubby says i dont limp even though i feel i do but  I have another leg to get done Just be fine that you wont be in as much pain as before and this can and often takes 12 months to achieve and after that take each month as it comes Keep a journal sometimes when you look back at your progress sometimes this helps you out of the doldrums and be pleased we have a NHS to take care of us Get up each morning even though you maybe havent slept much breathe in and say thats another night

over dear Lord 

I mean well so please dont be upset of anything i have said xxxx

• Posted

You will get there I've been on the waiting list 15 weeks now had several falls it's effecting my well being now feel really low have tried acupuncture which seems to aggravate it more I am now off work for the 3rd time since July must admit gets me down that much I don't want to be here any more just want the op to be pain free hate taking the medication as tramadol doesn't seem to have any affect now was told 18 weeks wait but have been told now these guide line don't exist any more

• Posted

4 months for me TKR Hang in there Yes I also had to wait even though i ended up in A&E after falling down stairs backwards but remember all of the pain and lack of sleep afterwards you will be a new lady Im post Tkr and looking forward to my holiday on Friday in my touring caravan Hubby will have to do all the work lol but he says it will be worth i just to have a change of venue in my life keep in touch and i will be watching your progress after the op with interest xx

• Posted

Denise, if you are feeling that you don't want to be here anymore, I would recommend you contact your GP and get some access to talking therapy...it will help you as it sounds like the extra support would be good. Bearing in mind that t he long haul isn't suddenly over after the operation, but that its the beginning of an extensive rehabilitation process, getting access to some help now will also be helpful afterwards. Do think about it! I found the time before the operation Very challenging, because disability and pain are particular stressors, and getting all the help you can to get you moving in the right direction will pay off in the long run. I was elated after my operation, and found it easier than the couple of years running up to the operation, But I did have counselling to help mem and it certainly did help a lot! Do consider this.

• Posted

Are you having some physiotherapy?
    • Posted

yes having physio ,he worked hard on knee he straighten it by 10degess it was painfull I do hope it works in time.
    • Posted

Keep at it! It is a long road, but progress does happen, just never as fast as we want it too! I am ten weeks now...the leg feels good, but patience is still the name of the game!
  • Posted

I agree Denise. Talk to someone. I did. I had to go on anti depressants and sleeping meds. I talked to my therapist once a week for two months to get me thru hard times. Don't wait. Call someone. I'll keep unin my thoughts and prayers

• Posted

Yes, you will walk without a limp...eventually.  Takes time and work.  Meanwhile, that "limp" can misalign your hips and potentially lock up your SI joints.  This can cause hip and lower back pain as well as sciatica.  If you start to hurt, see a chiropractor and get adjusted before it gets worse.  You don't need drugs for the pain; you need to get your hips and spine realigned.  Be prepared...it's all normal. 

• Posted

It's been a tough road for me also.  I had a manipulation 8wks ago and feel I will never get back to normal either.  I now have my bend, but my straightening is still not where I want it to be.  I am also limping as you are, my OS said that it would work out in time.

On the bright side, I'm mostly pain free, I still have some pain on the back of knee but that is all.  All I take is Aleve now.

I am having the other knee done 6/21 and I have to admit I'm scared to death because I don't want to go through another manipulation.  I am praying for the best.  I know when it's all done that it will be so worth it, but like you, i need patience to get through this.

We can do it!! It just takes time apparently.  The doctors (or my dr. at least) did nothing to prepare me for this at all.  I am still in shock how much I didn't know going into this.  I think if he had prepared me it would have been so much better, but that's probably the norm with most doctors.  The mental aspect can be difficult also.  But, I am keeping the faith.

Hope all goes well with you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.