Pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

its 15 weeks now having TKR then 11weeks after mulipulation . Still walking with a limp but working on that . I feel will I ever walk without a limp .need my life back and get back to work and enjoy walking,dancing ,and riding my bike, Just feeling low need to get back to normal .

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Had a bad day today a bit tearfull with this limp I have .cant even walk to the  park only 6mins away .will I ever get this knee straight and be normal again. 
  • Posted

Hi Lesley

The biggest factors for walking without a limp are regaining full extension with lots of knee hangs and some gentle stretching and improving weight bearing tolerance with one leg balance exercises if possible

• Posted

"There's no crying in baseball." - Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

"There's no crying after a TKR." - Forum Oracles

Well...yes there is.  I was a mess for the first few weeks...falling out of bed...writhing in pain...drooling all over myself.  My wife called a rehab place and unceremoniously shipped me out.  I don't even remember the ride.  I have a very high tolerance to opioids to even 10mg of Percocet plus 10mg of Flexeril barely touched the pain.  It was such a wonderful time...think I'll do it again.   Oh wait...I HAVE TO do it again!!!  One more knee to go.  I'd rather "eat the gun"...as my daughter said after her bout with cancer.  Looking forward to it?  Yeah, like a six-month continuous colonoscopy.

But when you look at it from a different angle, we're way better off than amputees, dirt farmers in Bangladesh and homeless vets on the street in cardboard boxes.  Not much...but still better off.  Because for us...

THIS IS ALL TEMPORARY!!!!!!!!!

We get to get better and live normal lives again.  THEY CAN'T!!!  Just remember that and be thankful that we have the medical technology to fix something that 100 years ago would have put us in a wheelchair for the rest of our lives.

Next time you want to cry or have a "bad day", let it out...then pause and think about how lucky we all are to be better than we were...to take this opportunity to find a strength in ourselves that we may not have thought we had.

Is is easy?  Of course not.  But nothing worthwhile in life ever is...and this is worth it.  Buckle up...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.