Pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Today I have had awful pain in my hip and lower calf and foot and Gabapentin does not seem to give any relief. I did try to wean myself off Gabapentin but the pain got worse and now on the full dose I was on I still have bad pain. I am on holiday until next Monday so I suppose I will just have to put up with the pain. When I go home I have 5 hour flight so I will have to hope the seat is reasonably soft.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

"I have 5 hour flight so I will have to hope the seat is reasonably soft...."  What airline are you taking?  I want that one next time...LOL...  Two things...

There's a big warning out about Gabapenrin and opioids (in case you take any)...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/nerve-pain-gabapentin-warning-648196

Post TKR pain is very common...see if any of this applies...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/other-pain-after-a-tkr-641040

Hope this helps...

• Posted

Just know that pain from the lower back or hip, through your butt, down the back of your leg, to the knee, through the calf to your foot...all or some of these...all are not necessary...could be indicative of sciatic pain...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/sciatic-nerve-pain-from-the-perspective-of-many-decades-629096

If that's what you have, then OTC anti-inflammatories (Ibuprofen, not Tylenol) can help along with Volraten Gel (RX in the US but available OTC abroad as generic Diclofenac)...great topical to relieve inflammation and pain.  If you read the above link, that kind of pain is very common when we shift the way we walk to avoid other pain (knee, hip, etc.).  I got hit 5 weeks post-op...chiropractor fixed me up in a few weeks of realigning my hips and spine.

The only time the chiro didn't work was when the sciatic pain was actually caused by a bone spur in my spine literally crushing my sciatic nerve root.  That's when you need a neurosurgeon and the imaging for that kind of diagnosis.  I always recommend the least invasive, non-systemic drug solutions until you find that they don't work and you have to dig deeper for the cause.  If you can't get the Voltaren immediately, try some OTC Aspercream with 4% Lidocaine or OTC Lidocaine patches for some relief.

When you get back, try a chiro...they will tell you immediately if they can't help you.  Then it's another path.  Start with some pain relief and move forward when you get back.  PS: If you are not allergic to it, diphnehydramine (cheap, generic Benadryl), 2 tabs or caplets, 50 mg, is a great, non-RX way to feel drowsy and get some sleep.  That might help on the flight.  This is the same stuff they put in all the "PM" medicine to help get people to sleep at night.  3-5 mg of Melatonin can work too.

Get some immediate relief, make it home, find the cause of your pain and fix it.

• Posted

HAVE YOU HAD AN MRI? you need to get one so you can treat the cause Theroworx is a great temporary treatment, can be ordered on-line. Very helpful.
  • Posted

You should first concern about this with your doctor because gabapentin has 4 types of pills with respect to quantity of pill ingredients. If the pain is very acute then you should try higher quantity ingredient pills but please first concern with your doctor. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.