Pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 7 months post TKR, for the past 2 weeks I've been getting pain at the back of my knee during the night, which keeps me awake, also todaynive had to take a pain killer for the 1st time in months as the pains so bad and also my knee feels so heavy when I walk it's like I'm carrying a lead weight. I thought at this stage things should be getting better. I havnt done anything to aggravate it or anything.. anyone else have these problems

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey natalie , im 6 months po and still having lot of pain and stiffness.  Got my records from hospital today to take to another orthopedic surgeon.  If I need a revision, that's fine by me.  I thought I would be further along by now too.

• Posted

That is so frustrating Natalie.  This long after it seems you should be out of the woods.  Hopefully some of these wiser posters will share some wisdom.... I too am not where I had thought I would be!  My RTKR was done in Nov 2017  I am struggling to maintain 115 degree bend.  I see a surgeon (different from first surgery as he has retired) next week for Left knee as I often wake in the night with pain and have it give out on me!!!!  Good luck finding answers...

• Posted

Have you been doing the muscle rebuild?  Your quads, glutes and core are dead and you have to regain your strength in all the surrounding musculature plus stretching out the hamstrings.  This takes the pressure off the knee and puts it back on the muscles where it belongs.  Failing to strengthen those muscles will keep all the pressure on the knee causing more pain.  Da plan...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

Also...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/other-pain-after-a-tkr-641040

Has a lot to do with the muscle rebuild...

• Posted

I sure have been lately.  Just heading out to physio soon.  Doing 3x's a week and exercises at home.  Knee remains tight!  No pain on stretching that bend but very unpleasant.  You are right about TIGHT and DEAD muscles.  Should have had this intensity of "working" on legs sooner!.   Have lost 30 pounds and improved my general condition big time!!!!!   But still have issues on the bend....   I do heal in KELOIDS.  I wonder if that is at the base of my issues at least partially??  Scarring tissue perhaps hinders full bending?  With new surgical consult next week ... wondering if I can ask.... "while under"   if they might manually bend the previously operated knee??   Chico ... I need to copy your graph picture again of the hills and valleys.  Each attempt it gets no bigger than a postage stamp??  Can you repost??  And thanks for reaching out again!  Hope you are doing well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.