Pain after acute attack

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hello,

I had my first acute attack of pancreatitis 2 weeks ago. Spent 2 days in hospital on IV fluids and NG tube. Lipase levels 115. I continue to experience mild pain (not taking any medications) in my right upper abdomen which is not associated with food (actually food makes it better). No alcohol or fat foods since attack. My concern is that I still experience pain after 2 weeks where in majority of literature patients with mild pancreatitis experience pain only for 7-10 days. What is your experience with pain after acute attack?

Thank you

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had my first bout of Acute Pancreatitis due to alcohol 5 weeks ago now. I was in hospital for 9 days in total, I could stand up straight around day 8, temperature and high heart rate calmed at about 14 days, and at about 3 weeks I could lie on my front and pretty much all the pain was gone. Its been 5 weeks now have no pain but I am very conscious of the slightest twinge, so paranoid about Chronic Pancreatitis starting sometimes I think I create symptoms. Seriously though I feel lucky to have recovered HOPEFULLY for good and Alcohol is a thing of the past for me, health is so precious what an idiot I was to take it for granted. Never again. Hppy healing mate it takes time.
    • Posted

Congratulations on choosing to live.

Best of luck,

Paul

• Posted

I'm now at day AP+22,and am really fed up with the INSOMNIA [never had it before AP] I normally retire to bed and wakeup two hours later thats it my total sleep.do it again 24hrs later.does anyone else have/had this ? if so how long does it last.?
    • Posted

Hi Alan,

What medications are you on. It could be a medication.

Good luck,

Paul

• Posted

Hi, my wife has acute pancreatitis and is waiting for a scan. I figured that as the pancreas makes digestive enzymes if it isn't well then it may help to supplement the diet with digestive enzymes. We tried it and it helps a lot. Give them a try.
  • Posted

Hi nick,

Pancreatitis is a crazy disease. You are doing the right things, no alcohol, low fat. Are you smoking, recently they have linked smoking with pancreatitis, ypur lipaise levels arent bad...ive had in the 3000s.My guess is you are a smoker...lol..let me know if im right,that seems to be the only thing that may be causing continued pain.

I hope your pain gets resolved.

Paul

• Posted

Thx guys for you replies.

Continued to have pain till about a month ago.  Did HIDA scan, lipase tests monthly, U/S and everything came out normal. At the same time was exercising, no alcohol, not too much fat in a diet.

Started Cotazym and had drastic improvement in pain level and ability to tolerate fatty foods. Still have occasional pain now and then but see definite improvement with enzymes. Will have a 3 months trial period and see if can stop taking them.

To Paul55625 Yes I am a light smoker 2-5 cigs per day. Now quit completely will see if it would result in improvement. Thx for advice though.

• Posted

Food used to make me feel better but now I only eat very small amounts, I can eat more in the morning but by evening I feel sick all evening...
  • Posted

The drive said mine was 70 over whatever normal is. No sign of abnormality in my pancreas. Gall bladder is completely normal.

Fever ranging from 99.5 to 103.2.

Several pain and have been living off oder 7 up and watermelon.

I do have a 3 cm hiatal hernia, can that be an instigator?

This has been going on for over a month now.

Help!

• Posted

I also had a major attack over 2 weeks ago and am still having pain although I am still on a liquid diet.  What is wrong?
  • Posted

Here I am on the two year eve of my attack. Haven't had a single problem since recovering two years ago. I do recall the recovery didn't happen overnight. It was weeks actually before I felt back to normal and months before the fear of it subsided. I'm still currious as to what caused it for sure but am at least thankful it hasn't happened again and hopeful that it never does. It was the worst pain I've experienced to date. I can say I was a heavy drinker for 20 or so years but at the time of the attack I hadn't drank for over a week or so. October 27 I reached my two year mark of not having a drop of acohol in fact. Just want to share my situation with you all. There is hope that you can recover and never have it happen again I suppose. As long as you take care of yourself. I used to think I was bullet-proof. Two years ago I found out the hard way that I was not.

• Posted

Congratulations Timmy ! So happy to hear such a positive note. 3 weeks back I had my actute attack and was hospitalized for a week. My lipase level was 5500. Last week I checked my lipase count and it was still elevated around 1200. I do not have any pain. I am worried that its been 2 weeks and still the lipase level hasn't gone down. Do you know how long it normally takes to get back the normal level ?

• Posted

Wow Timmy

You give me hope. I had my attack 4 months ago. It was mild. Lipase 574. But my lipase is still above what it shoukd be and have daily pain and bloating. May i ask how lomg it took you to recover and can you eat normally now?

• Posted

Hi Candice. It was months before I felt comfortable eating much of anything. Much of which was due to fear of it happening again. There was also discomfort involved but eventually it all was completely gone. I can eat whatever I want now. I do still have anxiety at times when it's obvious that I've overeaten and then start thinking about the "what if's". I do make more of an effort to eat healthy but that's mostly from boarderline high blood sugar. For that I just avoid high carb and high sugar things. I eat all the meat and cheese that I want. I still drink gallons of milk only now I buy low carb milk. It's only one forth of regular milk.

Best of luck to you on your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.