Pain after Ankle Stabilization surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

No one? I have problems, I have really bad pain in metatarsal and almost all toe joints, What should I do? Should I be worry or they will gone? I m in week 13 after surgery...

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

13 weeks after ankle surgery I would expect to be weight bearing. I would expect to stil have swelling and pain especially at the end of the day.

Elevation is still very important as is ice. Consider gel packs becausr they do not leak, the are flat without the points of ice cubes, and they remain frozen longer. Amazon. Four medium rectangular...two on your ankle while two are in the freezer.

And rest...yes, rest. Full recovery is going to take 9-12 months. You are in a marathon not a sprint.

kind regards

• Posted

Thank you my friend,

I’m full weight bearing from week 7 because of Doctor pressure, I don’t know if it’s good or not but I acted as he advised me,

I’m agree Elevation helps me, I didn’t know if I should yet elevate my foot, I am working in Office and my boss don’t like an elevated foot, But as you also advising this I would be the elevation as I also think it still helps me reduce the pain. About Ice I don’t like it and it don’t help me that much also... (I have gel packs,)

As I’m too anxious about my new foot! I rest less I walked a lot to see what is going on down there, also doctor told me to walk... But OK I will rest more, Doctor told me it will take 3 up to 6 months to full recovery, But I’m more agree with you in this case right now...

Thanks,

• Posted

Trust in your own good commom sense. Rest, Ice, Elevation is more important than over walking.

Perhaps you will be candid with your boss.

kind regards

• Posted

After ORIF?
    • Posted

I don’t know what "ORIF" is, but as I searched, No "ORIF". My ankle was so well, just a little instability, MRI showed Torn of ATFL and Torn of CFL noted, Doctor said I should do surgery ASAP... I actually really regret I wish I never go to doctors; I was good with a little ankle instability... Now it looks like the Doctor has used a Tendon from a nearby Muscle and have make a loop between three bones on my Ankle.

I don’t know the name of procedure, I asked doctor & he said it’s a "McBride"!?

• Posted

ORIF, open reduction and internal fixation

McBride is the surgeon who pioneered the surgery...he pioneered several podiatric surgical procedures.

• Posted

I asked surgeon about the surgery, He draw me a picture, showed he had used a nearby tendon, I don’t know if he had used the entire tendon or not!? Then he had made holes in bones and put the tendon throw them, "I think" he had made two tunnels, and then it looks like he connected the so called tendon to the root of itself, I think... Have you see something like this before?

• Posted

Maybe it is a “Modified Chrisman–Snook”, I’m not sure? What do you think? Is it also a “McBride”?
    • Posted

I will study this and post what I learn tomorrow...to run a tendon through bone holes does not make sense to me because the bone would saw through the tendon.
  • Posted

I am carefully studying this for you.

I have some questions...

How long did you spend non weight bearing?

Are you attempting to walk on your ankle now?

• Posted

Thank You,

Thanks for helping me...

I was told to 6 weeks NWB, (This is the exact time which I was in hard cast after surgery) I was in cast and NWB for 5 week and 6 days!

In that time there was a little rapid movement of toes (in week 5) which my mom done to me she said she is worry I’m not moving my toes, (in week 5 or after week 4 probably) and there was one step walking (because of forgetting NWB) in week 2 or 3 & there was a fall down in week 3 (maybe) which I think I saved my cast in air. Except these things I was in total rest during that time. Also after surgery the crazy Hospital stuff didn’t told me if I should use wheelchairs so the first day after surgery I went home use crutches which I afraid wasn’t a good idea. Actually so many movement in that first day which although I was in Hard cast (from blow knee to toes) but I really afraid if maybe I damaged something, I wish not...

I am walking on my ankle right now a lot... Actually I started walking first week after opening the cast... Doctor forced me to, in first visit after surgery I was using crutches and he said he is upset of me that I’m using crutches and not walking! So I tried to walk and I m walking... But I feel instability and I’m afraid if this instability damages my ankle... I’m too nervous...

The first days of walking I was totally instable, I sometime regret walking but I don’t know if I should have listened to myself or to surgeon... even once I thought maybe I sprained my ankle again! I’m not sure, I was wearing a boot , but there was a little hole somewhere which as bad luck I stepped there, I am so frightened although I don’t know if I sprained my ankle again or not. I was wearing a boot...

I wear boots (normal regularly boots) and walk anywhere and doing my job, I have walked a lot maybe up to 3 km, recently. Now I m ok with walking but I have pain in below of my foot and under toes (Toe metatarsal) and also toe joints... and sometime bad pain in knee (inside and back),… I’m more ok with walking when wearing shoes, than bare foot walking, bare foot walking makes a lot more pain and discomfort, and I wear shoes in home, to feel better for walking….

• Posted

How long did you spend non weight bearing?

I was told to NWB for six weeks.

Are you attempting to walk on your ankle now?

I am walking right now, have pain under toes (from middle to big toe) especial below middle toe, also pain in toes joints (middle toes and also big toe), Sometimes pain behind and also inside of knee, and some stretches in outside of the food, and also feeling of instability and week balance especially when bare foot walking, ...

• Posted

Worst times of the day, early morning first walking with barefoot, and nights when I came back home till asleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.