Pain after colon resection

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there could anyone who has had a colon resection let me know what the pain was like please. Thanks so much.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had 3 surgeries into 1, 5 hours long surgery: 6 inches colon resection, the surgeon cut small part of the small intestine and she got rid of the appendix. Stayed in the hospital for 5 nights under very heavy pharmaceutical IV and I had no pain. When I went home I was taking only 500 mg of Tylenol per day when I had a headache, back pain or felt that I have something going on with my stomach. My surgery was 4 weeks ago. My lower left back pain is still there for laying down a lot while recovering.
    • Posted

I take each morning and I will until the rest of my life: all natural psyllium fiber product. It took 3 weeks and now I have almost normal stool every day. 
    • Posted

I had a lot of back pain after my resection, and  after the the reversal of  Iliostomy, I  still do. Are you still having problems with that.? The rest is fine. 
    • Posted

Going on 5 months post op and yes on the back pain. Mine's lower back pain. I actually googled it and the muscles and nerves they cut are the ones that control the lower back. I still wear my binder because the cut muscles tend to pull hence the lower back pain. Still have 1 more month to wear the binder. Plan to still wear it doing housework.

• Posted

Yes mine is lower back pain too, it's quite debilitating. They don't suggest a binder here in Australia. Where would I get one, what do they look like etc and how do they work? Thanks Glenda . 

• Posted

You should be able to find one in a local pharmacy. Not sure what type of stores you have there. At first the binder helped to hold the incision together, now it's helping to support my cut stomach muscles from pulling. Those cut muscles are the ones that control the lower back.

• Posted

It covers your waist to lower abdomen, velcro in the front. It should be in the surgical supply aisle.
    • Posted

Thanks Glenda. I'll look for one.my wounds are all,healed now, but it might be an extra support for my back. 

• Posted

You're welcome. They are definitely worth it. I'm getting better enough to the point where I only wear it when I clean house. Definitely supports the muscles. Still can't lean against anything but the binder also protects the incision area.

• Posted

My first surgery was july 27 surgeon removed 12 inches of large intestine and 2 inches of my small also removed my appendix My pain was about a 5 was talking pain meds about every 5 hours Now unfortunately my small intestine became tangled so had to have second emergency surgery 16 days ago so my 4 inch incision is now a eighth inch and 8 more inches of my small intestine was removed My pain is pretty intense I am incontinent and have no strength remember protein is your friend for healing Good luck to you hon
    • Posted

Glad you are here Ellen and will keep you in my prayers!  Love your excellent attitude and protein smoothies are the best!  I’ll add a teaspoon of fiber too..
    • Posted

Thanks Vic love life i know I will get better and I wish nothing but the best for all of us on this forum!!!!!😁

• Posted

I had sigmoid colectomy surgery this past May. Going on 4 months post op. It depends on what procedure, open cut or laparoscopic. Mine was open cut, they removed 4", plus was sepsis due to lagging insurance, they took their sweet time approving the surgery. My hospital stay was 6 days. I will not lie, the pain is excruciating, but compared to living with diverticulitis pain the rest of my life, I would take the surgery. They will want you to walk as soon as you can. I made a routine of eating first, will be liquid diet 1st few days, walking around the hospital ward as many times as I could, then would take the pain medication. The doctor will increase your food bulkage when your ready. Keep in mind, what goes in must come out. Even though my surgeon told me I could eat anything I wanted, I purposely stayed on a soft diet for 6 weeks. Eat minimal, about the size of your fist, and walk after every meal. Lots and lots of water. I drink 1 small Gatorade a day for the electrolytes. Try not to be a superhero, this is major surgery. It will take 6 weeks for the incision to heal, 6 months for the muscles and nerves, for me 12 months for my organs from my stomach down to heal. You will realize the diverticulitis symptoms go away either immediately or a couple days after the surgery. Slowly reintroduce foods after 6 weeks and how much you eat. As of today I still haven't tried gassy vegetables or fruit.

• Posted

Do you eat meat Glenda I have stayed on soft food diet for 17 days now my starting weight was 138 I am now 95 lbs my diahrea is nonstop at least 16 times per day My surgeon removed the staples on Thursday and told me I must start eating all foods for my insurance will not cover assistant living or nursing home he said I will die if I don't gain weight I'm 5 7 and 60 years old so no Medicare I have even tried Immodium against his opinion and it doesn't slow me down I can walk several times a day for a few minutes and do leg exercises while laying I'm as weak as a kitten thank goodness for my son who has been cooking for me

• Posted

Yes, I had a small steak with salad right after my 6 weeks. I can now eat salad about 2-3 times a week minus the tomato. I'm not a fish eater but do eat a lot of chicken. I hadn't eaten anything like that in 2 years. Did the doctor say anything about taking metamucil? I have to for the rest of my life. It ensures you are getting the fiber you need when food doesn't cut it. I also eat ground beef, but put in 1 Cup of chicken broth (mix with raw meat) and cook it slow. It helps to break down the fat and meat so it's easier to digest. Still having a problem with fried, and/or spicy foods but that's because my poor stomach was so inflamed....no hernias. Haven't tried broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower (I love them), because I'm still bloated. I've gone down from an XXL to Med binder, but have never been heavy until this disease but found out what I assumed was fat was excessive bloating and swelling caused by the infection.

• Posted

Thank you Glenda I will try small amount of steak and burger with broth Doctor recommends Benefiber to bulk up stool I've done it for 2 days now sure hope it kicks in On a up note I haven't vomited since second surgery I know I need to b patient but it overwhelmed my anxiety Best of health to you Take care

• Posted

Easy on the steak. I didn't dare try it until at least 6-7 weeks post op. The steak was about the size of my palm and tender. I am more fortunate than most on here because they only removed 4", so my medical limitations aren't so extreme. Relax, let your son take care of you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.