Pain after endoscopy? Chest pain, discomfort swallowing

Posted , 100 users are following.

I had EGD yesterday with sedation. Felt pretty much fine yesterday, minus a little chest discomfort when breathing in deep. Today I've had no appetite and have discomfort swallowing, and a persistent discomfort in my chest. Waiting for call back from doctor. In meantime, reading about perforation and wondering if this sounds serious. I don't want to go to ER for a bunch more tests if this is normal. Does anyone have any experience with pain like this following endoscopy? Thanks very much.

1 like, 238 replies

238 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had and an  endoscopy  done a couple months ago  because I was getting food stuck when swallowing.   Immediately after I had a very sore throat, difficulty swallowing, which was expected  and chest discomfort.    I had a few things going on,   Including a Schatzki's Ring which he opened.   It has been a couple months now and I still have chest discomfort. During my follow up, the doctor said what I am feeling has nothing to do with what he  did, and to check with the cardiologist.  I am under a cardiologist care now going through lots of tests, ruling out the heart  and gallbladder. 

Has anybody experience this chest discomfort this long after your endoscopy and what was the cause? 

Thank you in advance for whatever experience and advice you could give me.

• Posted

Since others are still reading this post I'm going to comment. I too had an upper and lower gi 10 yrs ago with no side effects other than some embarrassing gas from the lower, and very mild throat soreness.

Day before yesterday I had a piece of pork stuck in my esophagus, I waited about 16 hours to go to the ER because it was a Saturday night and I didn't want to go in with all the crazies. Actually I was hoping ping it would pass on it own. From what the GI pics show it was stopped and inch or so above my stomach, though from the pain I had and the tiny bit of water I could swallow it felt like it was right below the Adams apple area. The first 12 hours post procedure are a complete blur. I barely had a sore throat 24hrs later, but kept my food to oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc. Now at 48 hrs and my entire esophagus is as sore as my throat after eating a meal of mashed Sheppard's pie, not spicy at all. I've come to understand thru the years that doctors DONT hear this complaint very often because it is generally stopped at the nurses desk because it it NOT "serious".But this is genuine pain, and if I had not expected discomfort I would be worried. I wonder what the difference is in 10 years ago and 2 days ago... Is it the physician or the patient? Was my regular doctor more gentle? Or am I now more fragile.

• Posted

I just found this thread from a google search about pain after endoscopy! I had one about five years ago and don’t remember having any kind of discomfort afterwards. I just had another today and coming out of anesthesia I immediately told the nurse and then my doctor about pain in my chest - it feels kind of like heartburn except not as acidy, because I hadn’t eaten anything in 12 hours. She told me it might be reflux which was confusing, because I’ve never had reflux that comes on this long after eating and the pain came on following the procedure. she told me to go home and work on an anti-reflux diet. ??? I had some pasta, which I think helped a little, but the pain is still there. Like another said, it’s behind my sternum and this thread has calmed me out of thinking it was a serious complication and instead I’m hoping it’s just some air that got stuck. 
    • Posted

Did this get any better for you? I had an endoscopy yesterday my very first one and they never said anything about pain. I’m having pain whenever I eat or drink its bearable but it’s annoying. Hopefully you’ll see this. I’m just really worried at this point. I’m being told it’s nothing to worry about, but I am and mostly when this was not discussed as a side effect before or after the procedure. Thank you! 
    • Posted

Hi Jessica! Yes it did. It resolved within a few days. Just drink lots of smoothies, broth, and water smile seriously I was so stressed about it and then I woke up a few days later and it was gone. Don’t be worried!!! 
    • Posted

Omg! Thanks for replying lol I’ve been so worried. I’m glad you feel better. I can’t wait until I can eat normally again. Thanks again! 
  • Posted

I had the endoscopy yesterday and biopsy as well, tissue were taken from three places. I was normal just after 30 minutes. But after 4-5 hours I started feeling little discomfort in my chest, feeling like someone put cold water in my chest (Food pipe). I called my Dr today, he said nothing happen after Endoscopy. Even I forgot to remind him that my endoscopy involved biopsy as well. Anyway. 

I was little panicked having discomfort in my chest after endoscopy and added salt to it after talking to my doctor. Now after reading this discussion I am feeling comfortable though I am visiting my doctor today.

• Posted

Tarun - just to add to your reassurance, an endoscopy always involves at least one biopsy as well. There'd be no point going down there if they weren't going to take biopsies.

Your symptoms are quite normal. You'll be fine in a few days.

• Edited

Hate to be different but I had my scope and biopsy this morning. I found it really painful when they took the biopsy although they told me it shouldn’t be. Immediately after I developed a cramping type pain in my back adjacent to where the pain had been in the chest. It went away but tonight it’s back again. Did anyone else have pain in the back? I never had any of this the first time.
  • Posted

Had my first endoscopy on Wed. With stretching and biopsies. Had trouble swallowing before that. Dr. said I had some gastritis and esophagitis.  5 days later I still can't swallow. Feels like everything gets stuck I also have a sore throat on the left side, like when you are coming down with a cold. I called the office, got Drs. nurse she said take your reflux medicine ( which I had a reaction to) I asked for a different kind in liquid form. Only taken once so don't know if it will help.  Seems like these procedure are done so routinely. I'm with the person on the forum who said Dr. Didn't even say if stretching was necessary. Now I'm afraid he screwed up my esophagus.  

• Posted

I had mine a few hours back without sedation. It was so uncomfortable. And now i still have this discomfort and some chest pains whenever i try to breathe hard.
  • Posted

Pain after upper endoscopy as is described above pain with swallowing, pain with deep breathing , burning chest pain can and does occur after EDG and may result from a number of factors ( mechanical stretching, allergic reaction of topical benzocaine,hypersensitivity to mechanical stretching , biopsy, ). Most of these symptoms will resolve shortly (days) some may take a few weeks to completely resolve because of spasm in the esophagus . Any serious violation of the gi tract would be a very different presentation such as fast heart rate,low blood pressure,shortness of breath , a very serious emergency would be apparent.

I hope this is helpful.

• Posted

Had a endoscopy today and I have a medium hiatus hernia and the took multiple biopsy but it says normal stomach normal everything except for the hernia.. Now if it's normal why take biopsies for now I'm scared s**tless.. When I eat and drink I have this horrible feeling like my food / drink is stuck in middle of my chest... And I'm also a light smoker and on the notes it states to cease smoking??? That has made me more scared as after my procedure I just left no dr spoke to me nothing so I have a week freaking out

• Posted

Rachael, they automatically take biopsies when they do a gastroscopy. That's why they go down there! Now stop worrying about it, and think about stopping smoking altogether. (I'm a former nurse btw.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.