Pain after endoscopy? Chest pain, discomfort swallowing

Posted , 100 users are following.

I had EGD yesterday with sedation. Felt pretty much fine yesterday, minus a little chest discomfort when breathing in deep. Today I've had no appetite and have discomfort swallowing, and a persistent discomfort in my chest. Waiting for call back from doctor. In meantime, reading about perforation and wondering if this sounds serious. I don't want to go to ER for a bunch more tests if this is normal. Does anyone have any experience with pain like this following endoscopy? Thanks very much.

1 like, 238 replies

238 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just had this upper scope done yesterday and had some chest pain in the middle behind my sternum when I got home. Now today it hurts behind my sternum every time I swallow food. So, reading everyone's replies, I am hoping this goes away in a few days. It also eases my mind. I had one done about ten years ago and I don't remember this pain. I was thinking my body is just sore from what happened during the scope.

• Posted

Has anyone experienced pain in your upper right abdominal area after an Endoscopy?

• Posted

Has anyone experienced pain in your upper right abdominal area after an Endoscopy?

• Posted

Hello everyone. I have the same chest pain and stuck feeling and pain swallowing. Went to ER and turns out it's because they took biopsies and I didnt know. So that area needs time to heal. Acid makes it worse. They gave me pantropazol to help the healing and pain meds. Hope no one else has serious complications. Take care!

• Posted

Hi there, this is my first time writing anything on here but i googled my symptoms as i had a Gastroscopy 2days ago and now getting unpleasant symptoms and I was directed to this very helpful forum, and the first thing i read was the lovely lady Penny who asked the exact question i was going to ask.... anyway my question to all of you who have gone through this unpleasant procedure is, how are you all doing and what was the diagnosis? Did they find anything? They took 2 biopsies and one of them was from a polyp they found in my middle stomach which I now have to await results for,but upon googling it i found that they are usually pre cancerous but if left to get any bigger they most certainly turn malignant. Mr.Google gives scary but honest information.The polyp is a Single Sessile Hyperplastic Polyp. They also said i had an unexpectedly larger than normal amount of Bile, and when I asked why they said it could be leaking from the gallbladder amongst other things (ill have to wait until I see the doctor in 6 weeks to have all my questions answered fully. Also in diagnosis,on the letter they gave me on the day they have put Reflux disease Gastritis secondary to Bile Reflux. I hope this may be of help to some of you and similarly if you have any advice or information you think may benefit me then I would be most grateful.

• Posted

I know this is and old conversation but im so glad I found this. I had an endoscopy dialation 5 days ago still have soreness in chest and burping. unable to eat. on the day if procedure i came home and ate scrambled eggs and toast i was fine.. than i started to feel like something stuck in my throat.. called the dr ge said thats normal.. no one said any limitations so i had soup with saltines and it felt like they were stuck in my chest.. called Dr again by the time i talked to him it seemed to pass down.. now he says probably spasms.. I just started to eat scrambled eggs went down. I now have loose stools . I have not felt that great all week. waiting for Monday to call him again. has anyone had loose stools even when you don't eat?

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I know this is an old thread but hoping for some hope. I had an endoscopy on Monday under sedation. I had had two before awake with no issues. This time I thought I was fine when I woke up and ate the meal they gave me straight away. However when I got home and tried to eat I started having this sharp pain in my breastbone, next to my right breast as food or water was going down and with any burping afterwards. The pain refers to the back on the same side and my arm feels affected too. I called the doctor who seemed baffled saying he had done these for 30 years etc, and suggested the actual scope could have disturbed my esophagus which he says doesn't look completely normal. He suspects eosinophilic esophagitis.

I see on here a few people seem to have had similar experiences and similar response from their doctors... I feel hopeful that this will pass at some stage as most of you seemed to have gotten over it in between 2 days and 3 weeks. Has anyone not recovered at all? I am on day 2 post procedure and right now I can only have soup and porridge and even that hurts so I am panicking a bit....

Thank you for any insight!

Joana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.