Pain after Frozen Shoulder Manipulation

Posted , 16 users are following.

I had shoulder arthroscopy and manipulation for my frozen shoulder 3 weeks ago.  I am in regular PT and I am gaining range of motion slowly. I expected the PT to be painful based on both what I have read and what my doctor told me, however, my resting pain is as bad and worse at times than before the procedure.  I am curious as to what others that have been through this has experienced concerning pain after the procedure. 

This is by far the most painful condition I have ever dealt with. The pain in nonstop. Pain meds help take the edge off, but as soon as it wears off, it gets really bad again. I have tried ice for pain &  heat for the muscles. 

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Trust me when I say this.... the pain will eventually subside.  I actually felt as though the manipulation surgery was worse than the rotator cuff surgery I had 6 weeks prior.  What helped me was taking a week off from PT, per my surgeon's instructions.  Not only was I in constant pain, but I also was dealing with constant nerve irritation in my hand as well as forearm.  My physical therapist also eased up on my sessions because she said pain doesn't equal healing.

I also had a few sessions with a therapeutic massage therapist.  After one hour with her, she had my arm doing things that I hadn't been able to do since my initial March 6th rotator cuff surgery! Look into some sessions, if you can .

• Posted

Thank you for responding. It's good to hear from someone who has been where I am. My PT has started putting days between sessions because of inflammation and pain holding me back.  Is a therapeutic massage different from a regular massage? What did you ask for? Very interested in pursuing this. 

• Posted

I see it’s been a year since you posted this, but I came across this and your situation is strikingly similar to mine.  Had rotator and labrum repair done.  about 9 weeks later I had MUA because I simply didn’t have very good ROM.  I’m about 5 days post-MUA and in pain a lot.  I also have pain in my forearm and wrist, which I believe to be nerve irritation.  I’m seeing my PT 3 times a week  and doing exercises/stretches at home about 4 times a day.  It’s all very painful.  I see my doctor in a couple days and so I’m wondering if taking a week off from PT helped you?  I’m worried the shoulder might freeze up again and/or I’ll lose my range of motion gains that I’ve seen.  Any advice would be greatly appreciate. 
  • Posted

I am 1 mth post manipulation. PT has told me to do exercises at home. I have 90 percent use......but I still cannot sleep comfortable. My arm aches. Did yours get better.
    • Posted

I am 6 months post op and I am finishing PT this month. I have regained about 85% usage of my shoulder/arm.  I still have tightness and pain from time to time.
  • Posted

Everyone's case is different. It will take time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use the pain meds. I had surgery in 2012 for fractured Humerus and another arthroscopy surgery in 2014 to clean scar tissues.  6 years later I have limited ROM. I named the pain "Resistance". You have to focus on the things that are going well in your life and  focus less on your pain. You might feel better in 6 months as many do. I am doing lot better than the year I had surgery. Just remember when you start feeling any better, please keep up with your stretching exercises at home. Good luck!

• Posted

How depressing! I'm 4 months out from my humerus fracture and am so tired of being in pain! Especially at night.

• Posted

How long did it take for your Dr. to recomend surgery? I totally relate to the pain, I have been dealing with mine for 14 months now. Extensive pt and have had three cortizone injections with little to no relief. I am getting desperate for some relief even if it is just some. Pain meds arent making much difference and exersizing and hot and cold compresses are only temp relief.The thought of surgery does make me nervous though.
  • Posted

I didsteroids...dry needling. ..and chiropractor. .....finally went to ortho....week layer they did it. I fought it for 6 mths. I'm 3 mths post op. Finally feeling back to normal. Still sore but move it alot.

• Posted

Which surgery did they do? If it relieves the pain from what it is now I would be happy. I'm just hoping for managing it.

• Posted

Had a MUA in November 2017 . I have a fair amount of ROM but the pain continues.
    • Posted

The pain, at times is terrible, other times manageable. Reaching out to my side to pick up an item is still a problem and sleeping on my side or shoulder is still painfull.
    • Posted

I had my manipulation a week ago and each day since has gotten worse. Just moving my arm makes my muscles burn and now it’s going numb a lot and the nerves are beyond my control. The inflammation is insane even though I’m icing it 5 times a day.  Having my ROM back is nice but if I’m struggling to cook a meal how can I go back to work. I don’t know what to do with it. I’m still doing pt 3 days a week.
  • Edited

My pain is more sore than pain. Like after you work out. Right after the mua it is very painful but I promise there is daylight at the end of the tunnel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.