Pain after Gallbladder surgery

Posted , 44 users are following.

I'm new to the group. I had my gallbladder removed 4 weeks ago by robotics. Recovery went well. I am very active and am waiting to continue back at the gym. Within the last 2 or 3 days I began getting a pain to the left of my belly button (which is where my incision is). It is almost constant with more pain with lifting, even light, and more pain with sneezing or coughing. Any ideas??

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had traditional lap removal about a month ago, but did develop pain and a lump next to my belly button about 5 days after surgery.  On my follow-up visit with the surgeon, I asked if I could have developed a hernia.  She said probably not, that it was most likely normal swelling of the muscles and tissues from the internal stitches from the surgery.  In a few days, the pain and lump got better, but then appeared above my belly button.  That eventually got better, too.  For me, it was part of my body healing.  It sounds like you did over do it, but as others have suggested, you may want to check with your doctor if it doesn't get better after you have taken it easier for a few days.  I didn't lift anything for 2 weeks, longer than the doctor suggested, but I didn't want to take any chances.  Then again, I'm naturally lazy, so that might have worked in my favor!!  Hope you feel better very soon!
    • Posted

Thank you! That seems to be the census. As much as I wanted to get back to the gym today it's probably better if I give it more time. I am relieved, however, that most feel the same way. Oh and by the way, I also had a umbilical hernia that my surgeon found while performing my gallbladder surgery. Two at the same time! Thanks for your help!
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed 5 days ago and although was very tender afterwards was not too sore next few days, however today it feels like gallstone pain I am having and have a bit of a temp my appetite has not returned to normal yet, is this usual?
  • Posted

I HAD GALLBLADDER SURGERY 2 WEEKS AGO AND AM STILL SORE UNDER MY RIGHT RIB AND AROUND THE BACK .  I NOTICED WHEN I  SNEEZED IT FELT LIKE I INJURED THE AREA WHERE THE GALLBLADDER WAS .IT STINKS BECAUSE NOW I'M GETTING THE SHARP PAINS IN THAT  AREA . IS IT POSSIBLE THAT I COULDVE BUSTED THE STICHES OR IS THIS NORMAL ?ANYONE ELSE GOING THROUGH THIS

• Posted

I think 2 weeks is far too early to expect to feel fine again. I had the op 7 weeks ago and now going.through a bout of coughing and sneezing with a bug I've got. That's made the area very sore again. The muscles inside take longer than the external wounds to heal but if it is worrying you see your doctor. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I felt good right after surgery. Rested for a few days, and then started to get back into a routine. I quickly went downhill!! Sore under the right ribs, skin from midline navel around to back very sore. I'm 6 weeks out of surgery and still not right. Saw my surgeon twice since surgery. He seems to think I'm fine. I do not feel fine. The past 2 days, Advil is working at night to sleep. This was NOT an easy surgery!!

• Posted

I am having the same pain under my right ribs and around my back while laying down or taking a deep breath in. Did your pain go away? How long did it take? Was it anything major to worry about?
    • Posted

My 81year old husband is the same as you he is wishing he had never got it done he is not used with sitting around or laying around the fact that there are so many of you suffering the same symptoms is frightening it seems it is going to be a long haul good luck to you hope yfeel better soon .
    • Posted

Thank you all for your messages! It’s comforting to know that some people went through the same thing I’m going through. I had gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago. I was feeling better during the first 10 days tha I feel now. I have pain around my rib on the same area before surgery that spreads through my back. This has not been an easy recovery. I also had a histerectomy a few years ago and it was a lot easier than this. I wonder how long would take to go back to normal, having pain every day.
    • Posted

Hello Nina. I as well just had gallbladder surgery a week ago. I felt so bad aftee the surgery & then 2 to 3 days started to feel better and started gaining mobility back. I have not lifted anything very heavy beside a clothes basket of wash I also was not given anything harsh for pain except motrin which does nothing. So yesterday & today I have been in extreme amount of pain under my right rib going around my back it hurts when I try to cough or laugh it has made me miserable. I dont see the surgeon for check up until another week but I have been so worried since I was reassured by the surgeon & doctors that this was an easy recovery and I was given no restrictions after. I was informed I had pancreatitis which was causing the pain with the gallbladder & the pains in my chest & side are what took me to the hospital otherwise I am healthy. They said the gallbladder had to come out and I was just in so much pain at the time & wanted the pain to go away I said whatever it takes to get this feeling away which boy I am regretting it now. I have had only 1 other surgery which was my tubes tied 7yrs ago & I thought that was painful until this. I am going to call the surgeon tomorrow to ask if this is normal but I checked here just incase to try & convince myself this is normal maybe my body inside is trying to heal around the gallbladder not being there but I believe I over extended myself just standing & walking a lot maybe its telling me I need to sit myself down my bodys not ready to get back into motion. I hope you have got some answers for yourself & starting to feel better. I just wanted you to know that there are others going thru the same exact thing as yourself. Feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Nina!  I’m glad I found this site, too!  I just had mine out yesterday laparoscopic, and am so sore!  I’ve been keeping a soft pillow on my belly for when I cough, or even move!  At least I’m not alone!!
    • Posted

Cindy was wondering if you got better. I had my gallbladder removed three days ago and my pain around the belly button incision is hurting and pain pill does not touch it. I’m discouraged 
    • Posted

Its been 6 months and im still in pain, mild but still painful. It feels like a pulling/stretching when i toss and turn in bed. I also had an infection causing discharge from my belly button. I must say this is my 3rd laporoscopy surgery and dr believes pain is from scar tissue damage. Best wishes in yr healing.
  • Posted

hi 7puppies. davinci robot removed my GB a year ago. i was driving a week later but surgeon sed 6wks before strenous physical activity and that it takes 6months 4 total healing inside/out. i am still asymptomatic and also deal w/GERD. take it slow and when you feel tired-rest. good luck feel better
  • Posted

Thanks for all this info. Makes my month post surgery worries less. However, I do need to be checked for a lump near belly button worrying me, would you suggest surgeon or PCP?
    • Posted

Hi- I had GB surgery two weeks ago. The last few days I developed large scar lumps at the three incision sites upper right side and around the belly button. Dr. said its normal and they will go away in 6-8 weeks. They have become more and more tender. I researched how to lessen the growth of the scar tissue underneath the skin, and read about silicone sheets to apply to incisions to help heal the  scar tissue that grew. I am giving it a try. Also, its is  VERY painful to touch the lumps. I know its only two weeks... just worried about healing.
    • Posted

Hi! My Gallbladder surgery was 2 1/2 weeks ago and I'm doing alright. It's taking much longer to heal than I anticipated though. My main gripe is my belly button incision site too. I have a little red, hard bump (10mm) inside that hurts a lot. It feels like it's attached to every nerve in the general area. It's so sensitive. I don't think it's infected, and my surgeon says it's all looking fine. It's hard to take it as easy as I am though. If I don't, I regret it soon afterwards.... I hope your doing better😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.