Pain after hiatus hernia surgery ?

Posted , 27 users are following.

I had fundoplication to repair my hiatus hernia 2 weeks ago. I've got over the surgery and no problem with swallowing but I think I've still got acid reflux. I've got chest pains, heartburn and an acid taste in my mouth. I know people will say that it can take time for the swelling to go down and the symptoms to go but to be perfectly honest I have had no relieve at all. I was expecting that after a couple of weeks for things to be a little better but unfortunately they are not.

I am due to see my surgeon today to discuss my problems and hopefully he'll be able to give me some answers as to why it doesn't seem to have worked.

Has anyone else had this surgery and not had good results straightaway? I was hoping to be well on my way to recovery by now. I wasn't expecting to still be getting symptoms.

Is it possible for the wrap or stitches to have come undone so soon. I haven't done anything strenuous and I've followed the sloppy diet.

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks

Maria

4 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I no this was a long time ago now but did you ever get any joy from this
  • Edited

I had the exact problem but my docter said that it wasnt possible because he made sure everything was tight. I was constantly sick. I persistent with him and he finally agreed to do a 24 hr ph moniter and it came back positive. I had a revision of the surgery and he apologized because he said the nissan had slipped.

• Edited

I'm the same, 8 weeks post op and i have had reflux from the get go and its worse than it was before, taking 80mg esomeprazole a day and loads of gaviscon but not really helping. didn't even have a follow up appt and now with all this coronavirus going on i won't get a chance to see anyone. i feel in my heart it hasn't worked

• Posted

I had hiatus hernia surgery 4 years ago and I'm back on 80mg of Esomeprazol a day. If I don't have them for even one day, all my symptoms come back, so obviously surgery didn't work.

I still can't swallow food without having really chewing as it will result in dumping, which makes me feel like I am suffocating.

I also get severe pain if I bend in a certain way. It feels like something inside my stomach is getting trapped in my ribs and I have to massage to relieve the pain

• Posted

I just had the hiatal hernia surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. I was doing perfect fine at first just had pain at the incision sites, but just a few days ago I started having a severe stabbing pain in my left side of my ribs like you are describing. It especially hurts when I sneeze or cough. I was just wondering did this happen to you right after surgery and if so, did it get better over time?

• Posted

hi Marie

I had hiatus hernia and half fundoplication surgery ten days ago , I'm still getting all the symptoms you described to, and really worried it hasn't worked its been a while now since you had yours done , how are you now are you better .

thankyou

• Posted

Hi Nicole,

I am experiencing the same syptoms 2 weeks after the surgery, how are you feeling now? Have you solved the problem?

Please let me know. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Maria,

I know your surgery took place some years ago, how are you feeling now? I found the synthoms you described in this post very similar from the ones I am experiencing 2 weeks after my surgery, how could you solve it? I feel a lot of chest pain and continious throat lump sensation. I have an appointment with my surgeon next week, but I am feeling really bad maybe worse than I was feeling before the surgery. Please let me know your comments. Thank's a lot.

• Posted

Hi Maria

what did the operation entail and how big was your hernia before your operation.

Hope you heal well soon.

Dolphin500.

• Posted

hi. your expectation is far too high in such a short time. if you google recovery of h/h it tells you the stages. i am still in recovery from 3 months ago. your body is still putting back all the organs that were moved to operate on. you mustn't lift anything heavy for at least 3months and you still have to be careful . i felt better recently carried on life as usual in the last few days i have pain back. its important to listen to your body. its a major op takes 6 months. did you have advice when you left the hospital. ? i had similar symptoms to you wondered if i pulled anything and was the op a success. be patience it works out in the end. take care 😃)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.