Pain after rotator cuff surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I’ve read some discussion ref the pain post op. My surgery was 2/13/18 with 2 anchors placed and bone spurs removed. The tear was one of the worst per the surgeon. My pain is still present 3 wks out. PT consists of passive ROM and at home I do pendulum swings n shoulder shrugs 3x/day. I wear my sling except when showering, watching tv and sleeping with my surgeons permission. I had my 1st night of sleep in my bed last night. Before that it’s been the couch. Recliner forget it. I’ve been taking Percocet 10 mg and 7.5mg every 4 hours. Requested my meds be changed to something else. Am I the only one having so much pain this long post op? Not to mention the pain in my neck literally from the sling. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

TAMMY

I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT I PUT ICE ON THAT ARM/SHOULDER 3 TIMES A DAY FOR 20 MINUTES EACH TIME. AND I TAKE TYLENOL WHEN I THINK I NEED IT

RENEE

• Posted

I AM NOW 6 WEEKS POST OP TODAY FOR ROTATOR CUFF REPAIR BECAUSE OF LARGE CALCIUM DEPOSITS IN THERE.. I'VE BEEN GOING TO PT SINCE 2 WEEKS POST OP. MY SLING IS FINALLY OFF . I AM GETTING MY RANGE OF MOTION BACK. BUT, AS I MENTIONED AT 2 WEEKS, 5 DAYS, I STILL HAVE A SHARP PAIN IN MY SHOULDER IF I MOVE MY ARM CERTAIN WAYS.. AND AT TIMES IT IS SHARP ENOUGH TO WHERE I WILL YELL.. THAT TYPE OF PAIN IS STILL WITH ME. ITS VERY FRUSTRATING TO HAVE THIS PAIN AT TIMES EVERY DAY.. I STILL HAVE TO HAVE 6 PILLOWS PROPPED UP IN BED IN ORDER FOR ME TO SLEEP. I AM ABLE TO LAY ON MY LEFT SIDE, GOOD SIDE, WITH MY BAD ARM STRAIGHT OUT RESTING ON A SMALLER PILLOW OR BENT CLOSE TO MY BODY. I AM STILL WAKING UP ABOUT 4 TIMES A NIGHT TOSSING AND TURNING WITH A GREAT AMOUNT OF PAIN WHEN DOING SO. I STILL HAVE NECK PAIN ON THE SIDE OF MY SURGERY. I WENT TO MY SURGEONS OFFICE YESTERDAY, FOR MY 6 WEEK POST OP CHECK UP. I TOLD HIM THAT MY RANGE OF MOTION IS GETTING BETTER BUT I AM STILL HAVING THAT SHARP PAIN IN MY SHOULDER. HE TOLD ME THAT I WILL BE HAVING PAIN FOR QUITE SOME TIME. HE WAS TALKING MONTHS BEFORE I GET SOME PAIN RELIEF. I KIND OF FELT GOOD HEARING THAT BECAUSE I THOUGHT IF I'M STILL HAVING THIS PAIN THAT MAYBE IT WONT EVER GO AWAY. BUT, HE'S TELLING ME THAT YES, PAIN IS NORMAL AND THAT I WILL HAVE IT FOR SEVERAL MORE MONTHS. HE SAID BECAUSE IT IS IN THE PROCESS OF HEALING AND GOING TO PT THAT ITS GOING TO BE PAINFUL. OK, SO NOW I AM REASSURED AGAIN. I FEEL BETTER HEARING THAT. I AM ALLOWED TO DO EVERY DAY THINGS, LIKE RINSING DISHES, PUTTING THEM IN DISHWASHER. BRUSH MY TEETH. TRYING TO BRUSH MY HAIR. THINGS THAT HAVE TO DO WITH IMPROVING MY RANGE OF MOTION. I AM NOT ALLOWED TO PUSH, PULL OR LIFT YET. I HAVE TO GO BACK TO HIM FOR MY 3 MONTH POST OP.. I HAVE TO BE VERY PATIENT WITH MYSELF AND TRY AND STAY POSITIVE ABOUT MY RECOVERY. ITS GOING TO BE A LONG ROAD AHEAD BUT THATS OK. UNTIL NEXT TIME.. BE WELL EVERYONE...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.