Pain at the 10 month mark. Why would that be?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 10 months post op TKR and having pain in the middle of the night for the last few months.  Early on, about 4 months after I was nearly pain free.  I don't understand why.  No pain and then PAIN........?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't know for sure how this "PATIENT site works.   Can you see Shannon's comment herein where she says she had pain up to about 10 or 11 months so perhaps it isn't a bad thing but just an uncommon occurence.

• Posted

Ahh th vagaries of pain, I would get it checked out if it continues meanwhile ice ice ice baby....I have a theory that as the sinews and muscles recover and cease to be numb anymore they are painful for a while then settle down again, it's the only way I can explain why the pain goes and the comes again only to go....good luck

• Posted

Suki, I've been thinking of your theory and it makes a lot of sense to me.  All the tendons, muscles and I don't know what all else is slowly coming back to life , re-awakening to feeling, and feeling what has been tampered with.  Yes, you are on to something there.

• Posted

I'm 12 month post op from having TKR and my recovery seems to be going backwards.

I saw the consultant this week and although he is against revision surgery he's sending me for a bone scan on the knee because like you I suffer lots of pain in the night

• Posted

I will I'm praying that's it's ok because I didn't realise revision meant taking the prosthetic out x

• Posted

Hi Janice

I had the bone scan last week and I will know the results when I see the consultant next Saturday.

The radiographer said they were looking for infection and whether the prosthetic had come loose. So it's in the lap of the Gods. I'm so tired of it all. It's really aged me- a shock to my system really. X

• Posted

I thought it strange when some of the patients said my pain might be due to infection as I had no open wound so how could that be the reason.  I then read online that as long as the prosthesis is present it can become infected.  Even a bad tooth infection or other body part infections are able to go right to the artificial knee.  Reason being:  it's not a real body part so it has no blood supply and therefore no antibody system. 

As to your possible revision.....they take the prosthesis out and then what happens?  This whole thing is fascinating!  Good thoughts with you, Mary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.