Pain elsewhere

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I've not been on for a few months due to being back at work. I hope you're all good. Can I ask anyone a question? The knee that is still waiting to be replaced, my whole leg aches. Back of shin, down the calf to ankle and down my shin to ankle. Is this normal?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have the same problem.  A second opinion doctor that does revisions is evaluating me for a late onset infection.  I’m 6.5 months post op
  • Posted

”Bangkok-Johnny” TKA revision patient. 2014 primary TKA operation in Stockholm, Sweden. Implant Depuy Sigma. 2015-2018 chronic infection S. Epidermis. Several ‘deep cleanings’ and oral/ IV antibiotic medication to no avail. Since I am resident in Thailand I decided to have the operations done here in Bangkok. The freezing Nordic climate is tough for a 69 year old TKA patient.  Finally on April 18 first part of the  two-stage reimplantation (revision) I.e. the infected prosthesis was removed, antibiotic ‘spacers’ inserted in to the knee joint. Bedridden 6 weeks 24-hour IV antibiotics  cure. Another six weeks at home with oral antibiotics. And finally Sep 19 final part of  the revision operation. New implant same brand Depuy Sigma (seems to be popular here) Spinal block. No pain. Post op went smoothly. A week after operation drain and Foley catheter removed The knee brace was fit two days ago. Locked at 0 degrees extension. No flexion yet. Sutures to be removed day after tomorrow. The all important Physio Therapy will start in two weeks. 

Medication: Clindamycin and Ciprofloxacin IV x 3 per day. Between IV administrations I can hop on my crutches to the restroom. Once - twice a day. Pain medication: Tramadol 59 mg x day. Ativan (Lorazepam) 1mg at bedtime.

Exercise ‘Anklepump’ 400 times per day. Lerdsin Government Hospital, Bangkok is regarded as the foremost  Orthopedic Center in Thailand. The Residents, the Fellows, the Professors and the Nurses form an excellent team. Cost: Including operation,implant, post operative care food etc. Approximately 120,000 THB or 3,720 USD.

Bangkok-Johnnie looking forward to the PT in two weeks. So far so good!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.