Pain!! How long does it last??

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had surgery about 8 weeks ago- shattered ankle in 3 places- all kinds of hardware-still no weight bearing or physical therapy allowed.

I will get another X-ray March 20th. Which I believe will make it about 9 1/2 weeks post surgery. I am hoping the surgeon will say I can start PT then..

Is it normal to still b in pain?? burning- tingling-shooting pain- feels like a tight rusty handcuff around my ankle..& arch of foot. My heel hurts- shin- sometimes calf ..top of foot..Achilles tendon tight and burning..toes feel like they are tied together..so basically everywhere from toes to just below knee...

I'm taking pain meds and in addition wear a pain patch .. I'm scared I will be in chronic pain and never recover.

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME THEY HAVE BEEN THROUGH A SEVERE ANKLE INJURY -SURGERY WITH LIGAMENT AND NERVE DAMAGE AND PAIN AND THAT YOU RECOVERED.

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE?

THANK YOU!!

0 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had 3 breaks and dislocated ankle. I was non weight bearing for 10 weeks. During that time I had discomfort and discoloration when the leg was not elevated. After starting PT things began to improve. After 5 months I was walking quite normally and golfing. I am now almost a year and don't think about it much. It is a long and difficult process physically and emotionally. My advice take things slowly and RICE. Best wishes on your recovery.

• Posted

Good morning yes my ankle was shattered my leg broke in three places (car accident). I suffered for 6 years with the pain and swelling and limping had 4 surgeries. They said I was too young (54) to have an ankle replacement because it only lasts 10 to 15 years so I suffered 6 years getting worse barely could walk. Last year went to a different doctor and he agreed something had to be done I couldn't even wear a shoe unless the back was open. So Dec 6, 2016 I had my 5 th surgery to replace my ankle. I have been walking without a cast or boot for 2 weeks I have no ankle pain swelling is down enough to wear a shoe and although feeling stiff I am walking with no limp!!!!! I do get that nerve pain which is awful that burning stinging shaky pain but even that is slowing down. I am so happy my friends are in tears when they see me walk now. There is hope...I don't know how old you are but I hope you don't have to suffer for years like I did. I hope this gives you hope. Good luck. Debi

• Posted

Deb

Wow!! U poor thing to have suffered for 6 years!!!! Did u have help of any kind during this period- a good husband? neighbor?were you sleeping? Was any activity u did helpful? How did u spend ur time? Were u social or did that take too much effort? We're u able to work or exercise in any way?

I'm the same age as u -55- was a real active person- it is crazy to one day to be living life - the next getting surgery- being in almost constant pain-can't carry about simple routine of grocery shopping -sitting without leg elevated ,walking dog, carrying food to table, showering, exercising. Dropping phone down the toilet almost put me over the edge... New routine is ice- leg must always b elevated to be iced- going to the bathroom becomes a struggle, taking pills on schedule, not being able to sleep due to pain- getting depressed, frustrated everything is so difficult, exhausted from not sleeping, Trying to tell myself it could b worse - could b brain injury.. Fearing I won't heal.

Deb- THANKYOU so much for sharing ur experience- I'm so so sorry you had to go through it for six years!!! I am glad to hear u had success with the ankle transplant. Thank god- u must feel like crying from gratitude of having your life back.

I spoke to one other person who had a similar experience to yours- someone from my gym gave him my phone number and he is also having great success after the transplant so I appreciate knowing this may be an option for me if I don't get better after a certain period of time so THANKYOU for ur kindness of writing to me.

??

• Posted

Dear Marge.

?       Everyone is different but several of us all had Trimalleor breaks just one year ago. We all noticed a significant improvement at about 12 weeks.  Much less pain and swelling and we thought we might be human again. I does get to be depressing when you can't do much but elevate it and ice it but there IS a light waiting for you down this tunnel..HA I still have a little teeny pain every once in a while (crapppy weather for one brings it on) It will be better soon.. and we are hear to listen because we seriously understand.

• Posted

Cass

I know u do seriously understand- it is such a gift to connect with ours who are struggling with the same thing!!i im glad to hear u are recovering from the pain and appreciate your support! It is hopeful to hear that at 12 weeks I might be feeling much less pain.

• Posted

thank you Marge it was very hard on me.  I live alone no husband or boyfriend my children and friends would check on me but I was alone.  I got very depressed.  I kept a journal.  I also lived on the third floor no elevator.  I didn't leave my apartment for months I had the physical thearpist and nurse come to my apartment until i learned how to hop up and down three flights of steps.  learned to sleep on my back.  watched alot of Tv couldn't do much anything else.  This surgery was better because it was an implant I bounced much quicker and was better prepared.  It was better this time and I moved 2 years ago no steps I was on my feet in 6 weeks!!! tomorrow will be 3 months and I'm walking without a boot or cane for two weeks now.  Best decision I made glad I insisted on not waiting any longer. I wish you the best hope you heal quickly.

• Posted

Deb

I don't even know what to say- I can NOT imagine the torturous hell you went through ALONE. The isolation is its own frustration!!

I am glad u kept a journal --that was really smart!

just to let yourself feel and get some of those painful emotions out. Life can b unbelievably sh*tty sometimes ...and you did get the prize!

It makes it especially wonderful that you got through and there is a happy outcome for you- You must be so so so grateful that period of life is behind you...

and here u are sharing it with me.

Thank you!

????????????

• Posted

Hi Cass and everyone in the ankle sufferers group.

I looked up online and from what you are saying 12 weeks must be the expected time for the worse part of it to be over.  That mens minimum 3 months rolleyes  My heart goes to Debbi for what she had to go through and, for so many years.  I am glad to hear at least this awful suffering is now over.  Until I had my accident I had never imagined that breaking a leg involved such pain and it took so long to recover from it.  

I fear I m getting depressed.  I see people passing bye and enjoying their walk, birds chirping, nature in bloom and is hard not knowing when you will start living again.  I was quite tearful today and I am not someone who cries easily.

Yes, I have this appointment on Thursday but it is only 8 weeks after the op and try not to have too high expectations.  I dread the disappointment and my nightmare is being sent home with another cast. The cuts are sore and can't heel under the cast.  I think I will refuse it...   I saw a couple of you tube videos with people cutting their cast and taking if off.  It sounds crazy but I can fully understand the frustration they would be feeling.

How can you put ice packs when your foot and leg is wrapped up in a cast?

Think of all of you and wishing you the quickest recovery possible,

Molly

• Posted

Maybe lily at your appt ask fir a walking boot cast or air cast, they are way more comfortable and removable. My doc allows me to take my leg out a couple of time a week to apply polysporin and let the air get at it. I massage my calves. Those hard casts must be hell, my doc put me right into the walking boot even though I can't weight bear it is more comfortable. My last appt was at 7 weeks and I was told not healed yet wait 4 more and that I need to get a plate removed when it does heal, yuck! Hopefully you'll get better news. Keep me updated! Insist on a softer cast! That alone would be a big relieve fir you.

• Posted

Margie, I have just seen this posting.

Removing the metal plate must mean another operation and recovery time...

I wasn't told anything about removing anything.

You are lucky to have a boot cast you can remove and massage your calves and foot.

After the cast my calves are painful when I massage them.

Also the whole skin became sensitive to touch.

Definitely this old type of cast is not good at all.

Did you say your next appointment was on the 20th?

Molly

• Posted

Hi Molly,

My appt is on the 16, then I will see if they will book my next surgery. He said normally hardware doesn't come out unless it causes problems. My plate is too close to my leg bone and will and cause pain when I walk , so it has to come out. He had to place it right over the bone graft so it couldn't be avoided or so I'm told. It sucks to think they will cut open that incision that had just finally healed. I'm pretty depressed about it, but what choice do I have. We had to cancel our summer holiday as well, so I can relate.This process has been a rough long journey. Thanks for staying in touch, it means a lot!!

Margie

• Posted

Hi Margie,

Your appointment is soon.  I also have an appointment on the 16th with the family doctor.  She will refer me to the physio.  

It must be really painful if your plate is close to the bone...

Yes, it is hard to have to go through that cutting and healing process again. But it sounds like it is for the best and you won't have more trouble later. 

I intend to ask my FD to refer me for a second opinion because the pain I go through every time I try to put weight on bad foot makes me wonder if it is the plate and the screws.  Maybe they need to take them out too...

I am getting really tired with this slow progress not knowing what to expect next.  A friend's sister who had a similar operation walked after 6 months and since then she has a limp.  Don't know what to think.  

Probably after they take the plate out your healing will be faster than it was when they placed it inside your foot.  Yes, it has been a rough long journey as you said.  You can e-mail me privately if you wish.  It would be easier to find out if I have a post from you.  I will try to e-mail but don't know if I will manage.  I am not awfully good with computers.

Take good care of yourself and keep in touch,

Molly

• Posted

I here you I have many of those same painful areas! I'm now 11 weeks post op and it has got a bit better. I'm still not weight bearing due to a bone graft not healing and get my X-ray March 16. I really found my cold therapy machine to be a Godsend. It helps with the pain a lot!!! I'm really getting tired of being sore and in pain and want life to be back to normal. I still have to get another surgery to take a plate and screws out. I know it is a difficult time and I hope it will get even a little better for you. Try to keep positive, I even got a meditation app and I do little meditations each day which they say helps with pain and it did. I tried acupuncture as my knee was so sore and it also helped. I hope some of these suggestions are helpful . Good luck and God bless I will pray for you!

Margie

• Posted

Margie we have a few things in common- our names - this terrible injury. We both get X-rays soon to see what is next- u 3/16- me3/20. I'm glad u were able to find the cold therapy which gives u much needed relief- I don't know anything about that but will look into it- someone also told me needling helped? I will look into that as well.

I so agree with u about meditation app- I tried that in the beginning and it helped with my tremendous anxiety over this whole crazy thing but need to do it again so thanks for the reminder!!

I also have an appointment with an accupunturist tomorrow. So THANKYOU THANKYOU for reaching out and sharing ur experience.

I will b hoping u get some positive news on 3/16.

I would like to check in with with after.

😘😘

• Posted

The cold therapy machine is basically an ice machine that has pads that you can wrap around your injury and it constantly circulates the cold ice wAter. You can safely keep it on for hours. About $150-200 online but totally worth it. Better than constant icebags . Yes keep in touch and let me know how the X-ray goes!

I'm in Canada and it is snowy and freezing here right now.

Take Care

Margie

• Posted

Margie

THANKYOU!!!

I will look into that immediately!!

I am excited!!!

• Posted

Margie 

i ordered kit cold rush with knee pad which I will put on ankle. It was $ 137.49. Sold by discount MD supplies. My fingers are crossed. Very hopefulsmile

• Posted

That should work , mine has knee and shoulder pads and the knee one wraps around great. Mi e is called Polar are Kodak Breg machine. My friends got it on Amazon for her knee replacement surgery so I was lucky she lent to to me. Mine runs about 6-7 hrs with one bag of ice. Before bed really helps numb and dull all the pain for me. I hope it works for you. Even after you start walking leg swells a lot too so I think you will still use it. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.