Pain!! How long does it last??

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had surgery about 8 weeks ago- shattered ankle in 3 places- all kinds of hardware-still no weight bearing or physical therapy allowed.

I will get another X-ray March 20th. Which I believe will make it about 9 1/2 weeks post surgery. I am hoping the surgeon will say I can start PT then..

Is it normal to still b in pain?? burning- tingling-shooting pain- feels like a tight rusty handcuff around my ankle..& arch of foot. My heel hurts- shin- sometimes calf ..top of foot..Achilles tendon tight and burning..toes feel like they are tied together..so basically everywhere from toes to just below knee...

I'm taking pain meds and in addition wear a pain patch .. I'm scared I will be in chronic pain and never recover.

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME THEY HAVE BEEN THROUGH A SEVERE ANKLE INJURY -SURGERY WITH LIGAMENT AND NERVE DAMAGE AND PAIN AND THAT YOU RECOVERED.

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE?

THANK YOU!!

0 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

What does your doctor say about the pain?  I had a trimalleor break, plates and pins and i'm almost 7 weeks post op.  My toes are numb still...they feel like there are rubber bands around them...but my ankle isn't in much pain.  Every once in awhile I'll get pain here or there, but it goes away.  I stopped my pain meds week three.  Is your ankle still in the cast?  Or are you in a boot?

• Posted

Hi Mary  Sue

Doc says my injury was very severe and complicated because I shattered as opposed to broke my ankle and also shattered my synesmosis which is a joint that is very fibrous high on ankle which connects tibia and fibula...

I'm am jealous that u were able to stop ur pain meds- but at the same time happy for you.

Yes I think you describe that feeling of rubber bands too tight around toes perfectly. You said you don't have pain in the ankle- that's great - I have it from toes to heel to Achilles to shin to upper partof foot to arch etc- I was told it all connects to each other - sometimes 1 side of ankle or other-it moves around. 

I am in a boot.

• Posted

Mary Sue 

We are sisters!! Jan 11th started out as such a nice day but boy things really went down hill. I don't think we will ever forget that life changing  day. Please  let's let each other know about our progress.

• Posted

Hello Marge,

So sorry you go through such pain.  I think I know what you mean...

I had my ankle surgery on 14.01.17 for tibia and fibula fracture and, displacement.

I guess it was about the same time as yours. I am awaiting to have a hospital

appointment soon on 09.03.17 and hope to get rid off this awful tight cast.

I reduced the painkillers.  How many do you take per day?

The cuts they made still feel sore and hurt when they rub on the cast.  They could have put plasters to protect them but they didn't. Plus the nurse putting the last cast on was not rough in handling it.  She hurt me and couldn't make the cast any tighter.  I have been suffering for 4 weeks.  There is no way they will give you an appointment to correct that.  It is a continual torture.

I am tired of not being able to sleep in a comfortable way and  can't put weight on my foot either.  I have the impression to be stubbed by nails. Then it hurts a lot for some time.  So, no way I can stand on it at all.  I am hoping I will get this boot on Thursday and start on PT but it is not certain. 

The top of the tops is I have never met the person who operated on me.

She is like God and remains invisible.

Wish you all goes well for you,

Molly (59)

• Posted

Hi Molly

I'm sorry your part of this wounded ankle club.😡

I wear a pain patch- I visited a pain doctor to get it because I felt frustrated with the continual pain- also take oxycodene 5- or 10 mg at most at one time since the pain patch is already a narcotic and only add that as needed. For example, did not use any oxycodene one day this week but another day took 5s on two separate occassions with my Advil.)

-at night 2 Benadryl to help get some sleep which pain doc suggested - because she said sleeping pills cause more problems than narcotics-

She added an anti anxiety medicine- busiprone- because I found I was so anxious and overwhelmed with lack of sleep, pain, not being able to exercise, ( previously I was a person who exercised almost daily, and enjoyed walking the dog many miles a day -was very healthy- so I really really really don't want to b taking meds- but it is what it is - and the anti anxiety one has certainly helped my emotional state - Also take 2 Advil extra strength every 4 hours. I hope this helps.

Recently tried accupuncture but too soon to tell if that helps and plan to try dry needling- others have said that helped with pain...

I hope that was helpful.

• Posted

Thanks Marge smile,

How do you wear your pain patch when your foot and half of your leg is in a cast?  Thanks for mentioning it because if I am given a big boot to wear on Thursday I will ask for pain patches as well.

BENADRYL here in England is for Hay Fever and Allergies.  

OXYCODONE is a good pain killer like CO-CODAMOL but both cause

constipation. I had a big trouble and had to stop co-codamol.

I also take IBUPROFEN = ADVIL  and PARACETAMOL.

I have serious problems with sleep.

I have sleeping tablets but the doctor warned me they are addictive so,

I avoid them.  Although I can feel I am losing it and if it is going to continue

I will need antidepressants or tranquilizers.  I must ask for an appointment but will have to wait about 3 weeks to see the doctor I want!  Awful isn't it?

The doctors that are available in our surgery are sadly no good :-(

BUSPAR is prescribed only for short term treatment of anxiety in UK.

Hope is working for you.

Well, I am fond of travelling and can spend most of the day on my feet

visiting sites and places.  I want to book my summer trip and can't go

ahead with it.  It is really frustrating.

And I am not fond of taking medication at all but needs must when the

devil drives...

I guess you are from US as you said Advil and not Ibuprofane which is used here.

Let's hope will find the strength to get through this.

It is great sharing with all of people who are on the same boat :-)

Take care,

Molly

• Posted

Yes thank goodness for this group who truly gets it

I am in boot-

My pain patch is on my cheeck- and I don't mean my face-I wear for a week and then place new one in separate place.. i.e. Under bra - lower back so as not to get skin irritation..did not get from surgeon- on my own went to special doctor who manages pain- I requested my surgeon to fax info there..

Let us know how things go Thursday.

While Benadryl manages hay fever it also makes u sleepy

Magnesium counteracts constipation.

• Posted

Marge, my ambition is to get hold of this boot on Thursday :-)

You don't sleep with the boot I guess and, this must be such a relief.

I will ask for pain patches too.  Sounds good.

I can always try Benadry to see if it would help me

I didn't know about magnesium, thanks.

Sure, will let you know on Thursday.

I am counting the hours... :-)

Molly

• Posted

I use a sleeping aid called trazadone which is nonaddictive. It works well with no drowsy hand over. It also helps with anxiety, so ask if it's available as I'm in Canada so prescription drugs may vary from other countries. Tylenol 3 is also good pain med and not addictive. Advil can slow bone healing so don't use too much.

Margie

• Posted

I think we all count the hours to c what the surgeon says... if u can't start physical therapy right away I suspect u will b allowed to a few weeks down the road.

Also want to remind u it is unlikely surgeon will give u pain patch but u can research where a pain doc is near u and get surgeons staff to fax information to that doc.

Or take what he gives u and balance it with lots of magnesium so u don't struggle with constipation

I only saw the pain doc because I felt nauseous from oxycodene.

All the best for Thursday...

• Posted

Margie

Thank you!

I will look into trasadone. I remember someone I know unrelated to this forum once told me that was helpful. Many middle age or older women I know struggle with sleep.

I have heard that about Advil..I will switch..

Also was told vitamin C and D r important in healing.

Thanks Sister!

😘😘

• Posted

Thanks Marge.  I will definitely ask for tranzadone.  I sleep little and then

nap like a cat during the day.  Is your pain patch a particular made?

I guess I can buy it on my own.  I don't think we have pain doctors here.

Not the same system.

Don't know about Thursday.  Don't keep my hopes high.

But as I am feeling know I will refuse having another cast and,

it will be trouble as they don't like patients to have their own mind

here :-(  You have to do as you are told!

Take care,

Molly

• Posted

Molly

I don't anything about trasadone. I'm going to look into it myself.

Margie recommends it.

She has some helpful suggestions!

• Posted

Hi Margie,

Forgive me but I confused you with Marge.

She kindly pointed out that you had suggested TRAZADONE.

It is reassuring to know is not addictive.

My doctor had claimed all sleeping pills are addictive.

She prescribed me some but I avoid taking them.

Thanks also for the rest of the good advices.

I am noting down TYLENOL 3 and will stop using ADVIL

unless I am really desperate.

In Canada I heard you have good health care and unlike us here

in UK good mental health care too.

Hope the snow is on the way out too :-)

Molly (59) from England

• Posted

We do have free health care and it is great but we have high taxes. That is the trade off I guess. Cold March and sick of the snow, it's very dangerous to get out with all the ice. Housebound and bored. We had to cancel our trip to U.K. This year so hopefully next year. We have relatives in Canterbury, Kent. Well good luck with finding a pain management plan that works fir you. I know how frustrating it all is .

Margie(52) Cheers!

• Posted

Margie,

We have high taxes too and that is why we expect to have a better health care and education but in recent year all we seem to get is cuts in services.

I miss the snow as we rarely get any or when we do, doesn't last.

I can understand you are fed up with it.  You get so much of it.

Also your winters are so long.  But you have beautiful nature.

One can't have everything I guess.  

It is a pity you had to cancel your trip to UK.

Hope you will make it next year.

It is great you have relatives you can visit in England.

Kent is the garden of England and not far from the sea.

Surrey, where we are, is next door to Kent.

Pain was more manageable today.  I guess it is getting better but

all is taking so long...  Also, I keep putting on weight as I don't

exercise.  All I think of is nibbling and having treats :-(

Lovely meeting you,

Molly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.