Pain!! How long does it last??

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had surgery about 8 weeks ago- shattered ankle in 3 places- all kinds of hardware-still no weight bearing or physical therapy allowed.

I will get another X-ray March 20th. Which I believe will make it about 9 1/2 weeks post surgery. I am hoping the surgeon will say I can start PT then..

Is it normal to still b in pain?? burning- tingling-shooting pain- feels like a tight rusty handcuff around my ankle..& arch of foot. My heel hurts- shin- sometimes calf ..top of foot..Achilles tendon tight and burning..toes feel like they are tied together..so basically everywhere from toes to just below knee...

I'm taking pain meds and in addition wear a pain patch .. I'm scared I will be in chronic pain and never recover.

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME THEY HAVE BEEN THROUGH A SEVERE ANKLE INJURY -SURGERY WITH LIGAMENT AND NERVE DAMAGE AND PAIN AND THAT YOU RECOVERED.

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE?

THANK YOU!!

0 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Marge it is going to get better.  Hang in there.  On 11/30 I had a surgery on my foot and ankle lasting over 5 hours.  It was very severe and I had ruptured ligaments repaired, my bones fused, shattered bone taken out of places deep in my ankle pressing into the cartilage, parts of my bone cut out and my Achilles lengthened.  I knew I was allergic to codein so they gave me oxycodone and I had a major allergic reaction to that too.  I went to tramadol for a week and then Advil only.  I experienced all of the sensations you described and around week 10 it started to ease.  Week 12 got even better and now at week 14 or 15 I am losing track I have no nerve pain, almost no pain when I am sitting and the pain really is mostly on the top of my foot where it is all fused and still healing when I walk.  The ligaments barely hurt at all and I had them repaired on both sides and in the back as there was almost nothing left of any of them.  It feels like you will never get there but you will.  Once you can do more in physical therapy you will start to see improvements faster.  Hold tight and you will be there in no time and start to feel some relief.  For the nerve pain massage it, press different textures against it and if you are allowed push some pressure onto it on the floor to the point you feel the nerves starting to shoot the tingling and mild pain and hold it for as long as you can.  The more you do this the faster your nerves will wake up again and they will stop the tingling and burning once they are fully awake. This took me about a week but I worked on it all day long every chance I got.  

Good luck!

• Posted

I saw this post Tamara and thought I'd say hi. It's the other Margie from Canada.It is great you are doing so well, are you walking unaided now? I'm at week 12 and still in boot awaiting my X-ray next Thursday. I am trying to set it down when I sit, but it doesn't like being down. I do massage my toes a bit , but they are really numb still. I still have to take pain killers at night and I prop my leg up. Do you still need to prop your leg up at night? I got the Achilles stretcher and assorted bands for rehab, but still NWB so I can't do much.Well hopefully good news next week . I wish I could rehab in sunny Florida lol. It is -20 here and just got another dump of snow burrrrr!

You give me hope my life will get back to normal soon.

Take Care

Margie

• Posted

Rockin1shoe,

All I can say is thank you so much- your message it really gives me hope that things will get better-

It sounds like you also had serious ankle damage surgery and pain- more extreme that the usual person----the ligament damage and resulting pain that not everyone here is the lucky beneficiary of.

It helps me to hear the manner in which you broke things down in your recovery process- because I think others who have not had such damage perhaps heal faster of don't experience this kind of pain for so long. Your msg really really gives me hope that in time and with work there is a light at the end of the tunnel...not permitted to start physical therapy yet but am anxious to start and once I do will put into practice your helpful suggestions.

I would very much like if u would keep me posted of your progress. I'm glad you have been putting hard work in at physical therapy and getting results!!!

Again thank you for sharing your experience and timeline thus far. I hope it continues to get better and better everyday! I'll be anxious to hear where u are this summer when it will have been 6 or 7 months for you.

😘😘😘

• Posted

I think you are trying to write someone else not Marge. I'm still nwb.

• Posted

Hi Marge, Margie and everyone in our "ankle sufferers group" :-)

I wish with all my heart you are having a not so 'painful' day.

Well, my big news are that the cast is off, I was not given a support boot but after I was told it healed well and straight after was bossed around to walk with some support and without jumping or cheating.

The physio made me also go up and down stairs.  No words to describe the

experience.  It took ages and was awful.  I was looking forward to this time and thought I would be celebration and, partially it is but...

I will cancel my holidays in August.  The way I feel now, I can't imagine myself walking ever again.  Anyhow, August seems too optimistic.  It looks like this new stage is another long and painful process.  It will take months.  Hard to be

optimistic.  

I booked an appointment with my family doctor for her to arrange the rest of the physio + discuss the sleeping and weight gaining troubles...

My skin after the cast is in a dreadful condition, half dead or as if I am being struk

by psoriasis.  I had to a nap after the hospital and then worked for a couple of hours. I went back to my wheelchair despite my husbands protests in order to cook.  I prepared noodles, mixed veg and grilled veg sausages.  Tomorrow he says

will store the wheelchair in the garage.  

I bought a big backet where I can soak both of my feet.

I will do that in the morning and follow it up with an extreme moisturasing session

while I enjoy my tea and news on TV.  Don't want to think about walking...

Good sharing with you fellow passenger!

Molly

• Posted

Molly that's great news!

I would be thrilled! Jumping up and down- never mind I wouldn't do that or there would b very very bad consequences. But just remember if x ray didn't say healing occurred doc wouldn't allow u to wb.

I look so forward to hearing that news myself and to begin the road of recovery others have walked , gentle step by step.

If u feel too rushed by anyone - google exercises to do after ankle surgery-and go at ur own pace - everyone says pain is to be expected to heal but not to overdo it-if you have access to a pool u might want to start ur walking in the deep end where the water goes up to ur chest or shoulders. But I am behind u on this road so unable to share any experience.

• Posted

Thanks Marge :-)  Yes, I felt more than rushed and pressurised to do what this first physio wanted me.  One can't ignore the stubbing pain that takes away breath... They seem to have a program or policy and don't have time to care about individual differences.

Sure it is so much lighter without the cast but the progress is minimal.

As you say I will go on my own pace and listen to my ankle.

I waited for your and Margie's replies but didn't receive any notification like I did when I first wrote to you both.  I had to search to find your replies.

How are you doing exactly?  Any changes?

I wish I could give you both my e-mail address but I guess it may not be allowed or safe.

It is always good to hear from you.  Keep giving me your news when you can.

Molly

• Posted

Sounds like pretty good news. You can at least weight bear and are progressing. You don't seem very happy but I would be estatic! Well you are making great progress so congrats to you !!!

I'm jealous !!!

• Posted

Hi Margie,

Thanks :-)  Sure it is a great relieve not to carry around this bulky cast.

But I wasn't prepared for this change neither I feel I am able to do what they are expecting me to.  I am practising to bear weight while standing but wanting me to walk is beyond me.  I am happy and grateful but also downhearted as I realise that this job is going to take time.

I gave up my plans of travel this summer.

I had a wonderful soaking of my foot in hot soapy water.

You can't imagine the amount of dead skin that I am losing.

I ordered Epsom salts, ice packs etc from Amazon

I will also try my grandma's medicin for sprained ankle of crushed onion bandage.  I searched online and they confirm is great for sprains and inflammation.

I have to do about 3 hours of work now and then will have another soaking followed by the onion bandage.

How are things with you?

And have a relaxing painless end of the week,

Molly

• Posted

Molly, It dies sound frustrating and a lot of work! The hot soapy bath sounds amazing - I can't wait! I go Thursday to see if I can wb, but he did tell me before I start wb in the cast for a few weeks. We have a hot tub , so I can't wIt to soak in it. My pain had gone down a bit. I'm kinda scared to put weight o. It as it is still swollen and bruised even after 3 months. I hope you are wLking soon!

Margie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.