Pain in both ears for 2 weeks.. Antibiotics are not working.. Please help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had ear pain for nearly two weeks.. It goes all down my neck to my shoulders too.. Ive seen about 6 drs all of which tell me different things.. Some say its an infection some say its nothin.. Iv tried antibiotics in tablet form and drops but no relief.. The pain is sometimes in both ears and sometimes in just one.. Ive been to ent who say my ears are fine but the pain is soo bad i cant cope.. What can i do next? Has anyone else had this? Please please help me as its really worrying me.. Any advice is much appreciated

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Rahela;

While I hear you, and can imagine what you are going through, I do feel your pain.

Over a year ago I woke up with pain that started in one ear overnight, and by morning was in both ears.  I had lost 90% hearing in both ears and I made that urgent call to urgent care.  For the next 2 months between Urgent Care Doctors, my primary care,  several different oral antibiotics and several flushing of the ears by doctors.  I had to demand an ENT when I was told that I would have to live with the hearing loss for the rest of my life.  If I wouldn't have felt that the ENT I got was doing all he could for me, I would have asked for a referral to another.

If you feel you are not getting anywhere with your ENT, get another!  Its your ears and your quality of life.  My first visit with the ENT gave me hope, and I figured I would give him 3 visits before I would write him off.  While I couldn't understand when he told me that my sinus were causing my hearing loss, I thought he was CRAZY!  After the first shot he gave me, I started to notice a difference within 12 hours.  I felt as if I had to let him run with the ball.

6 visits later and 6 more shots (over a period of 2 months+)  I was better.  I gained 90% of the hearing back of the 90% loss (still a 10% loss that hasn't returned).  My hearing Is not like before the loss, but it is far better than the total loss in the beginning.

I have to say the ears felt better at the doctors office after they flushed them out, and than my doctor recommended me to get an OTC (over the counter) ear wash with peroxide and use it every other day.  Yet my ear drums were not perferated /blown out (which I would think would be the wrong thing to do if they were blown out or perferated)..

Too many times a symptom that sound the same as somone else is different in another way from yours.  If I were you, I would see another ENT.  I would ask if flushing the ear was good or not for your situation.  I know in the old days, the antibiotics given for ear infections were given by shot rather than an oral antibiotic.  Our stomachs an intestinal tracks do not like antibiotics.  

Remember, I said in the beginning how I visited for 2 months urgent care facilities and doctors office.  It took another month plus for my stomach  and intestinal track to get back to a normal situation after almost 2 months or oral antibiotics.

good luck and hope some of this info helps.

• Posted

Awww bless really appreciate ur message! I havent loadt any of my hearing i just have pain.. Iv been to 20 diff doctors who have no idea what it is.. I have an ent appo but it 4 weeks!! Does flushing them out really help?
    • Posted

Flushing the ears, I had heard about it, but until the doctor did it in his office, I didn't realize how good it felt afterwards.  But in my case my ear drums weren't ruptured / blown and it appear to be ok.  When I tried it at home a few days later at home it didn't seem the same, but I did get some of a dark film discharge out of the ear.  The solution that the doctor (My PCP) recommended had peroxide in it (I would highly recommend checking with your doctor before getting or doing this flushing of the ears).  Each person and their circumstances are different.  When I put the drops in, the foaming action from the drops with peroxide in them  were weird.  But when I went to the ENT he preferred I not use them.  Like I say.  You may want to see what your doctor recommends for you.

• Posted

I will ask the ent doctor about this.. I have now been in pain for six weeks with my ears
  • Posted

rahela;

Starting this message from your initial posting, didn't read through all the message thread to see if I am repeating what I may have said to you, or if others others may have brought this up to you.

While even though I have regained 90% of my hearing back, this issue of the loss of hearing, pressure in my ears and the 4 to 6 months of what I will call (hell) that I went through  I still keep researching it, as well as try to stay active on this site to try and give others some insight.

While ear infections are usually treated at bacterial infections (with antibiotics) and believe me, I remember the 2 months of ORAL Antibiotics that I was on that did little to nothing for me.  Allong with the other 2 months of them flushing their way out of my stomach and intestinal track.

While I have been writting to a number of different individuals, I had found some info during my research.  While I had or have mentioned to others that this ear issue could be bacterial, fungal, in my case I was told my sinuses made me not deaf, and the newest info that I have run across saying it could be food allergies, It drove me to look into fungal ear infections.  When you visit the ENT you may want him or her to look into that for your situation.  Now for granted, there have also been studies here in the states that some doctors have been recommending and perscribing different antibiotics for ear aches, but if it is a fungle infection, antibiotics will not work.

Not A Doctor, nor am I a medical professional.  Just looking for possible answers for possible problems.

• Posted

Hello Rahela;

My understanding is, that their are perscription drops (which i believe are steroid base) that a doctor / ent can get you.  There are some on the internet that some people make there own, but I would go with that from my doctor before I would try (or put something in my ear) that could make it worse.  Yet I am sure if you do a search for fungle ear infections, you can see a great deal of info.  The same hold true about bacterial ear infections (which are usually treated with antibiotics) (or may just be left to run their course).  Not a couse I myself like to chance.

Hope this helps.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.