pain in buttock after prolapse surgery?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had prolapse surgery with both anterior and posterior repair 5 days ago. Doctor said to expect right buttock pain due to sacrospinal ligament attachement, but it rally hurts to walk still. Has anyone else had this? how was your pain? doc is thinking about surgery to remove sutres.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Edited

yes! that buttock pain isnt a joke. but it will get better

• Edited

thank you! how long did yours last? im having a hard time walking more than a few steps and i dont know if that's normal or not.

• Posted

it goes a d comes but it will stop! it has been a year since my surgery and i have know pain at all. My sex life is great as well i have no pain.

• Posted

thats great! im so glad to hear that this is normal. i just have to know it will take awhile for the pain to go away.

• Posted

to fully recover it will take about 9 mos because it heals slow. it heal from the outside in then inside. I waited 18 months to have sex i have no nerve pain at all, but I'm like a vagina again. The buttock pain is normal but it will go away

• Posted

I had same ops 10 months ago, the butt/nerve pain was bad, walking and sitting very difficult but did go after month or so. I don't get back ache or pressure now, good luck xx

• Edited

hi

the pain you feel is the permanent stitches to hold everything up.why is he wanting to remove sutures?

isnt the sutures attached to the ligaments the actual repair?

yiu are soo early in reco9 to even think about being pain free,it takes months before yiu are pain free hun.

yiu have huge work done so expect pain for many weeks yet. the best advice is to rest and avoid lifting bending and stretch for another couple of months or yiu could end up with a repair failure.

it happened to me and I rested for 8 weeks and am slim and otherwise healthy.x

• Edited

yes, i dont understnad why my doctor is so quick to recommend going back in and removing the stitches. She basically said that if im having trouble walking we should undo it. But i feel like i should give it more time and i feel like the pain im having may be normal. im off work for 8 weeks and am planning to just rest.

• Posted

surely not everyone has perm sutures!?

I'm pretty sure my surgeon said all disolvable, but I'm going to see him this morning because I'm having problems.

• Posted

I was told to expect the healing to take about 3 months. I had to go back to work after 5 weeks, but sitting was quite painful, and driving more than 10 minutes was hard. I finally went out and bought a donut after 3 weeks when I realized I couldn't drive after 2 weeks, like I was told I could. Still, forget longer distances. I teach so could stand and sit when needed, but at 57 years old, everything takes longer. Be patient. I also needed estrogen cream as I was too tight for intercourse, and it's still not perfect, and my insides are now a bit different, but at least I look normal now. It is worth it overall.

• Posted

I'm a teacher, too. I cant imagine going back to work, but i have 8 weeks, so that amount of time off should help alot. thank goodness the pain has let up a bit- im about a week post-surgery now. thanks so much for sharing your experience with me.

• Edited

Hi, I'm a week post-op, I can finally sit on edge of bed by myself, getting off of bed with assistance from hubby, hang onto his arm to shuffle around room...and consider that a huge improvement. But nerve pain from butt, causing blowtorch pain down legs is still around & it kept me rigid, because any movement caused horrible, tears streaming down the face, pain. I've got the 4" padded toilet seat to help sitting on that, but have to say that when that area is compressed it's almost unbearable. My Dr. finally prescribed a muscle relaxer to help with the clenching from pain, along with an anti inflammatory, and it really helped.. I'm still catheterized, mostly because the searing pain keeps me from getting to the toilet, I was so afraid of the catheter, now it's become my best friend...crazy. We've been stuck in a hotel because we live hrs away, we don't want to travel when I'm still in this fragile state Evan after my research before the surgery, no one mentioned this sort of experience, so we were blindsided at needing to extend our out of town stay by 7 extra nights. Yes it would've been a lot to plan for, because I still work, but better than this surprise when not prepared. We had to keep reminding my Dr. and his assistant, that we were in a hotel, not in our home. He also mentioned seeing if undoing the surgery, it could help the pain, for me no way, especially when the aggravation to the area is already done. Ironically the area I thought would be sore, I can't feel anything, but the sit bone area is horrible, feels like a mule kicked me. Pray we recover soon and feel that all this was worth it.

• Edited

oh my goodness, that's terrible!! i have to admit my pain is getting a little better.. i can now put some weight on my right leg when i walk. Before i would kind of drag my foot after i stepped with my right foot bc it hurt so badly. I feel the same way-- all the things i expected to hurt are not bad at all, and i never expected this kind of pain while sitting. I cant imagine being away from home and trying to recover. I also feel like i was unprepared for this kind of pain. im glad the meds are helping you. i go to the doctor tomorrow to see if the catheter comes out. i hope so. i agree-- i was terrified at first but then grateful i didnt have to get up as much. But now its getting uncomfortable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.