pain in buttock after prolapse surgery?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had prolapse surgery with both anterior and posterior repair 5 days ago. Doctor said to expect right buttock pain due to sacrospinal ligament attachement, but it rally hurts to walk still. Has anyone else had this? how was your pain? doc is thinking about surgery to remove sutres.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi, sadly there is comfort in knowing we're not alone, & I'm grateful to hear from those & their experiences. I realize now that my Dr. isn't the best source of what to expect, he hasn't had this surgery ...(he's a guy). 5 days post-op I would say my pain level a 10 when I moved, a 2 if I just laid in bed quietly. I also was dragging my left leg & foot because of nerve pain, but the deep butt ache has mostly subsided, small victory!

• Posted

hi I'm.the same. Had surgery 7 days ago and was in tears the other night with the pain. Was going to phone my gp to see if they can recommend anything for the pain.

• Posted

hi, just short of 3 weeks post-op, I no longer had the ache in my butt, or the blowtorch burning pain down my legs. I'd been prescribed Cyclobenzaprine, or Flexeril, a muscle relaxer that helped with the clenching in the area, that added to the pain. I finally could walk around my house without using a walker & just had a follow up with my surgeon. He admitted that my painful experience has not been the norm with his other patients, and he's been performing this surgery for 25-30 yrs. So if your experience sounds like mine, maybe the Flexeril can help you too, meds like Vicodin can just cause more stress to the area by making you constapated...no thank you.

• Posted

I'm now a little more than 3 weeks out and thank goodness the butt pain has subsided. now the worst of my pain in vaginal... i can only imagine that its the stitches, maybe they are being absorbed or something. Walking is still really slow, and i walk with a limp, but thank goodness advil controls any pain i have.

• Posted

thank you for your reply. if it's not any better by Friday I'll call the gp for some advice. sounds as if its more common than I thought. I had the pain as soon as i came round from surgery. Dont think you notice it as much in hospital it's only when you come home and start trying to sit , walk that it's at its worse.

• Posted

Hi, my name is Anne B. and I am now 5 weeks post-op after my vaginal hysterectomy with both tubes removed and cervix - both ovaries still intact. I have a 3rd degree cervical prolapse and this was the reason for the hysterectomy. I was recommended to have this procedure done vaginally because the recovery was "supposed" to be easier - however it has been anything but. Since being in the recovery room - once anesthesia wore off most of my pain has been in the left buttocks and rectum. Now, mind you upon discharge no one told me that this was a common occurence with this type of surgery. I was told this by the nurse nor was it printed in the discharge instructions. After going home and trying to lower myself down to the toilet - well this was just not happening. My husband had to go out and buy me an attachment to the toilet seat to make it higher in order to be able to sit - oh and sitting was sooooo painful. I literally had to lean onto my right butt cheek - could not put any type of pressure on my left side at all. Wow - never saw this coming and was 'NEVER" told about this. I was supposed to go for a 2 week follow up appoint but ended up going back in one week and this is when I was told this relentless pain was unfortunately normal. I just started sobbing. For pain I am taking Motrin 600 mg, Tylenol 1000 mg, oxycodone 5 mg but I only take 2.5 mg (if truly needed) trying to avoid constipation. My biggest fear was it felt exactly the same as when I had rectal fissures back in 1988 and needed surgery to correct this x 2.

So here I am 5 weeks out - left sided rectal and buttock pain has somewhat improved but not to the point where I am feeling somewhat normal. Still hurts to sit - still need my comfort cushion and sometimes still need to lean to the right if sitting for a long period. I have my good and my bad days - still the thought of picking up something makes me anticipate pain - you know where. So, after speaking with the resident that called me back over 24 hours later (rude) I am told that how my vaginal wall repair along with the ligament suspension and the stitches along with swelling were causing this pain and once the stitches dissolve is will start to feel better - which can take up to 3- 6 months. Can anyone tell me if they have experienced anything like this! Thanks Anne B.

• Posted

It’s good to know that I am not alone. I thought that perhaps it was the position that the physician put me in for at least an hour on end - on a medical theater bed where your butt drops out and your legs are pulled apart into stirrups wider than they’re used to being pulled apart for quite some time.

It feels as though I have a tailbone injury with shooting pains down my legs, particularly down the right leg to the point where I can only walk for about two minutes. There was no mention of this in my meetings with her prior to this kind of utterly painful recovery needing to be the case nor was it in any of the paperwork she handed me. I feel I am blindsided with pain and downtime I cannot afford to have. All the doc says somewhat dismissively is "oh that’ll get better."

Hard-core pain pills give me bad headaches so I can only do Tylenol as well as Biofreeze, heating pads and big vibrators meant for the back. Any other suggestions? i’m used to being extremely active, taking my dogs for walks every day, going to the gym, walking everywhere in the city… now I’m bedridden?

I appreciate your help here!

• Edited

is anybody out there?

I’m pretty sure now that my issue is PUDENDAL NERVE DAMAGE OR COMPRESSION and I wondered if anybody else has had this? Also, is there a pathway to being rid of this kind of pain?

There are shooting pains down my legs to the point where I am unable to walk and I'm just in full-time pain management now, bedridden. I should be getting better every day but I’m not.

Calling out to all fellow health warriors!

Help! I'm quite discouraged.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.