Pain in left rib cage?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, does anybody else have this dreadful pain at the bottom of their left rib cage? It seems to be coming in waves and has been going on for about 8 hours today. Had it a week or so ago, but it went off after an hour. This time it just isnt going anywhere and not easing at all. Does anyone have any ideas on what it can be?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello. I get that but put it down to the Naproxen I've recently been prescribed for my arthritis. Thought it could be irritating my stomach so making sure I take it immediately after meals
    • Posted

I dont take that but have to take lansoprazole anyway due to stomach inflammation, maybe its just something to do with that, doc doesnt know though! X
  • Posted

Hi Shazzy,

There is a condition called Costochondritis, which causes pain in the ribs. I've had it on the right and the left (not at the same time). It's not specific to RA. Sometimes the pain is so bad you feel as though you are having a heart attack. Not sure if this is what you have, but it might be worth having it checked out. 

• Posted

That's really interesting and would fit in with all my other symptoms. Will mention this to my GP now next time I see her. And to think I was blaming my medication.
    • Posted

Good luck, and if my suggestion was correct, I'm glad I helped a little. When I had it, I'd just finished chemo for breast cancer and thought it had come back!! The breast care nurse got me to lay down on the opposite side to the pain, then pressed hard on the affected side. WOW!! I yelled and almost jumped off the bed. LOL. lol
    • Posted

It just goes to show how useful these forums are. Not only supportive but full of great advice. Thanks again and I hope you're recovering well
    • Posted

Thanks I will look that up, just been to doc he didnt really know but mentioned possible diverticulitis. My temp was high but has been for ages, sweat pours off my head constantly. He has given me antibiotics for now and go back in a week. Its worse now than it was before. I went to see him, thanks again x
  • Posted

You need to check it out. Those were the symptoms I had when I had a pulmonary embolism.
    • Posted

Oh blimey I hope its not that! Scary thing to have  i'm sure! Hope you werent in too much pain x
    • Posted

It's not about the PAIN. It's about the life/death experience. Do you realize how critical a pulmonary embolism is? And no, the pain wasn't HORRIBLE.....which made it all that much more unbelievable to find out I could have died
    • Posted

Yes I do realise how critical it is. I don't know how I managed to offend you so much, blimey I can't win with some people on here!
  • Posted

My son had pain in the same area since Sunday. Seemed to worsen upon trying to take deeper, more satisfying breaths. No fever. Blood pressure, pulse normal.Took him to the cardiologist this morning. His EKG was normal. The cardiologist said to take Aleve, that it's likely costchondritis or pleurisy. He did have coxsackie virus when he was a toddler so pleurisy isn't out of the question. Pleurisy can be accompanied by fever or not. May or may not be accompanied by a cough too. I have had costochondritis before too, and it can be very scary. I hope you can get a chest xray and an EKG, see a good cardiologist to get to the bottom of this. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I have now bbeen to a and e and doc thought it was muscular so has prescribed diazepam to relax muscles. My blood pressure was high and pulse very high and bloods showed infection so I dont understand that though. An well I will take the antibiotics and diazepam and see how it goes x
    • Posted

Phew! Thank goodness it wasn't the pulmonary embolism. CA-Lynn, When I suggested Costochondritis I knew it wasn't the only thing that could cause rib pain, but I only had experience with Costo, so thought I'd suggest it. I don't like suggesting things I have had no experience of as I wouldn't be able to answer any questions. I hope you are in a safer position health wise now. daniela, my dad had Pleurisy when young. I hope your son is ok now.
    • Posted

Been for my rheumatologist appt today. She thinks it is something to do with my spleen as has ordered a scan, so should know more soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.