Pain in left rib cage?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, does anybody else have this dreadful pain at the bottom of their left rib cage? It seems to be coming in waves and has been going on for about 8 hours today. Had it a week or so ago, but it went off after an hour. This time it just isnt going anywhere and not easing at all. Does anyone have any ideas on what it can be?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've had an on-off rib pain for many years (yes, on the left side, too). Never very hard to manage, though.

I mostly get it when lying down and it can go away for months at a time.

The rheumy and some other doctor years ago, told me it was a form of intercostal bruising, but I never really bought that since bruises, however 'intercostal', usually heal themselves. Also, it did not come on as a result of some kind of an accident (so what bruised me, then?) and it seems to move around slightly.

Still don't really know what it is, but in my case, it's easy to live with.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Mine comes in kinda waves, but always the same place, right under the inner side of my left rib. Doc has mentioned possibly spleen and is arranginga scan. I have read thatRA can cause enlarged  spleen. Hopefully will find out soon, its a lot better now, the other day it was dreadful though and I could do nothing else but focus on that pain, now its in the background x
    • Posted

I was concerned about the spleen at the time it first came, too. Good that you're having that checked out.

Do let us know!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.